JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
back in germany, those of us with side hacks had a spare set of wheels with knoby tires and sheet metel screws
a very rough ride, but at least we got out in the frozen winters
wore GI cold weather masks to keep our face from freeing
still have mine in the closet somewhere

What an idea! When I made those boots for the wife I'm sure I thought of screws, but didn't have anything short enough.
The only issue is it takes time to put all of those screws in knowing they have to come back out later. They are hardened, but still wear on bare pavement. After today's planned activities I'll pull them out before I drive much more. Otherwise I won't be able to get them out!
They are absolutely incredible in this crap.

I have a 4x4 Yukon sitting on a real good set of studs. just got back from the airport. main roads are all good. the back roads still have water on glaze ice, I don't have any problems other than the people that are having problems in front of me. the studs are mounted on spare wheels and I can change them over here at home. I run them for a couple months during the winter and they last real good, these I have on now are 7 years old and still in real good shape.

I have a 4x4 Yukon sitting on a real good set of studs. just got back from the airport. main roads are all good. the back roads still have water on glaze ice, I don't have any problems other than the people that are having problems in front of me. the studs are mounted on spare wheels and I can change them over here at home. I run them for a couple months during the winter and they last real good, these I have on now are 7 years old and still in real good shape.
we live 600' above the Lewis River, the only way out of here is down hill on glaze ice
I tried to drive out once in conditions like this 15 years ago, chains on the rear wheels, the F250 4X4 slide on the ice for about 50 yrds
put in granny low 4WD reverse and managed to back up to our property
a good day to just stay home

Just heard from another member that some of you guys had some bad weather in the last couple days. Well ironically enough Tennessee was blessed with a healthy dose of snow and ice the last couple days. I woke up to the thermometer showing 3 degrees. I'm sure unlike folks in your area ppl around here lose their f**king minds over the slightest bit of the white stuff. The bread and milk sammiches is a real thing in these parts :rolleyes:. Luckily we kept power and all the luxuries that comes with having it but ppl in some other parts of the state have been less fortunate. The local power gods (TVA) have kept hinting at a planned blackout so I'm anticipating that any hour now.

A good plan with an overnight gen is to place it in the grass vs concrete, put it under a folding table then throw a tarp over that .... loses about 4db ....

Just thinking out loud because power snapped on and off a couple times here in Milwaukie.

Just about every forecast I saw said ice/snow cleared out by 2pm. Well, no. Looks the same or worse at 3:15pm. It is 34f out so I don't see a fast thaw coming.

"It" claims a temp of 38f by 5pm and a low of the same with showers. So many are now claiming all clear in the am.

Last Edited:
Power stayed on without a flicker here in Orchards. My big worry is when will that 1-2" thick sheet of ice decide to slide off my roof.

in reading the news from Portland, there are reports of hundreds of pipes freezing and bursting in this winter storm
I live in a manufactured home with 2x6 construction and R21 insulation in the walls
my well house has 1" PEX pipes coming our of the wall and into the ground (inside an insulated box)
our well house froze last week because i didn't run a power cable from my generator to the well house, but no ruptured pipes
we have PEX plumping throughout
what pipes are the Portland homes built with that rupture in this cold weather?
then tell me again how manufactured homes are inferior to stick built

in reading the news from Portland, there are reports of hundreds of pipes freezing and bursting in this winter storm
I live in a manufactured home with 2x6 construction and R21 insulation in the walls
my well house has 1" PEX pipes coming our of the wall and into the ground (inside an insulated box)
our well house froze last week because i didn't run a power cable from my generator to the well house, but no ruptured pipes
we have PEX plumping throughout
what pipes are the Portland homes built with that rupture in this cold weather?
then tell me again how manufactured homes are inferior to stick built
Heck of a lot older pipes in Pdx than Pex. Most of the drains and sewer lines around here are still clay type (pre 1920s) or concrete. Our house still has the coal chute for the furnace (not used of course) and vents for the ice room (before refrigeration). Pex is excellent and only thing I use when re plumbing.

Heck of a lot older pipes in Pdx than Pex. Most of the drains and sewer lines around here are still clay type (pre 1920s) or concrete. Our house still has the coal chute for the furnace (not used of course) and vents for the ice room (before refrigeration). Pex is excellent and only thing I use when re plumbing.
my first house in Portland (built in 1923 - 45 & Division) still had a chute and sawdust room - originally had a saw dust burner heater, converted to oil, then i converted to gas
I used the saw dust room for wine storage
no insulation in the walls, I could feel the wind blow through the light switch on the outer walls
we had ice on the inside of the windows during bad Winters
but it also has steel rings in the curb to tie your horse to
REAL Men and Women lived in Portland back then

we live 600' above the Lewis River, the only way out of here is down hill on glaze ice
I tried to drive out once in conditions like this 15 years ago, chains on the rear wheels, the F250 4X4 slide on the ice for about 50 yrds
put in granny low 4WD reverse and managed to back up to our property
a good day to just stay home
Next time put the chains on the front. You can stop and steer a bunch better. I wouldn't do that on a 2wd, but on a 4x4, it's the bomb!

Got our power back just before noon today. It went out around noon on Sunday. Burned a lot of firewood keeping the house warm with the freezing temps outside. We're not so much preppers as campers, so we have a lot of the tools available - lanterns, lights, stoves, chargers, etc. - to make life fairly comfortable during outages. The one thing we could have done better was to have more water available for flushing toilets. We had plenty of bottled water for drinking but neglected to fill the bathtub or at least some five-gallon buckets for the toilets. When the rain hit yesterday, I pulled the downspout off of a gutter and put a 50 gallon garbage can underneath it. Didn't take long to fill it up. Problem solved! It wasn't the first time I've used that strategy. I know I could have drained some water from the hot water tank, but that sounded too much like work. :s0108:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews