JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Are you doing OK erudne ?

I'm actually doing fine today
Winds have regenerated the fire which is now burning north and east. The fire almost certainly has jumped the river and is in open timber and grass. I'm guessing that today it has burned a couple 1000 acres on the east end alone. The fire fighters remain on standby in case the southern edge moves towards town but other wise the fire has nothing to slow it besides a few canyons as it heads into the open scrub lands. The fire has virtually burned itself across my maps and I'm now using my state atlas to follow it:confused:

I'm actually doing fine today
Winds have regenerated the fire which is now burning north and east. The fire almost certainly has jumped the river and is in open timber and grass. I'm guessing that today it has burned a couple 1000 acres on the east end alone. The fire fighters remain on standby in case the southern edge moves towards town but other wise the fire has nothing to slow it besides a few canyons as it heads into the open scrub lands. The fire has virtually burned itself across my maps and I'm now using my state atlas to follow it:confused:

Should be less ladder-fuel in your area next year; hope the worst is over....

I don't want to appear to be gloating or making mindless comparisons, but we really lucked-out when we bought our house & land that (unbeknownst to us) is surrounded by miles and miles of private timber; with a few exceptions, the nearest public forest is @ 5 miles away to the North, and 9 miles to the West.

We can see how private timber companies take much-better care of the forest than the state and feds; more gates, less litter, better roads, more tree harvesting, more elk and deer, and less ladder fuels except when they commercial-thin and leave the cuttings.

Is this the same situation in your area?

Public land may look more pristine than a clear cut, but there is less forrage, less elk, deer, and gamebirds, and is usually a disaster wating to happen....until a fire comes through.:rolleyes:

Last Edited:
when the fire was close to me around the 10th it encompassed an area of 30 degrees, west to east, from my front porch. Today that area, including what was previously burnt, is 46 degrees.
Thursday night the wind will shift and blow the fire to the south, towards me. Lets hope those fire lines hold!

thick smoke, no ash temps are in the high 80's due to smoke cover.
Last night, w/7X40 binocs I could see clumps of trees burning like fireworks on a ridge 9 miles distant, it was a sight to see the fire burn all the way up to tree line and into the alpine meadows.
I'm still safe, at least until the wind changes.
Better off than most.
PPL here are praying for rain, or they should be.
I'm not holding out much hope for the wet stuff, as always I'm ready to do my part.

thick smoke, no ash temps are in the high 80's due to smoke cover.
Last night, w/7X40 binocs I could see clumps of trees burning like fireworks on a ridge 9 miles distant, it was a sight to see the fire burn all the way up to tree line and into the alpine meadows.
I'm still safe, at least until the wind changes.
Better off than most.
PPL here are praying for rain, or they should be.
I'm not holding out much hope for the wet stuff, as always I'm ready to do my part.
what fire are you watching ?

Best day since the fire started, overcast, 0 wind though the fire did reach within 1/2 mile of the river it did not cross thanks to a back-fire and low winds yesterday the fire has moved another 15 miles north, north east, so barring a freak wind storm or new fire to my south, I am safer than I was last week. :)

We had a white moon this morning. Don't know what the winds did to the fires though
Everyone from here asks 'isn't this nice to have it clear for a bit?' and all I can think of is those embers glowing strong with all that wind
Helicopters were flying a little yesterday but the big boy wasn't out so maybe we have a few fires down a ways

We had a white moon this morning. Don't know what the winds did to the fires though
Everyone from here asks 'isn't this nice to have it clear for a bit?' and all I can think of is those embers glowing strong with all that wind
Helicopters were flying a little yesterday but the big boy wasn't out so maybe we have a few fires down a ways

Where did you move to, if I may ask?

seems I'm now in the clear fire-wise, the fire has burned it's way north and the rain has wetted the burnt over areas near me

Federal Regulations Ground Montana's Forest Fire Fighting Helicopters Over Federal Lands

http://www.weaselzippers.us/233084-...fire-fighting-helicopters-over-federal-lands/

Glad to hear that you are in the clear!!!:D

The Montana situation just reinforces my thinking that the fire fighting contracts are assigned by politics, and the Powers That Be prevent effective and efficient alternatives (like Evergreen's 747) from use because it will displace their favored vendors. :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top