JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm Wondering if any of our brother or sister members are facing immediate fire danger today? Sure hope not! I saw on the news this morning that there were five fires in Oregon and eight in Washington! Idaho wasn't mentioned but I'm sure that they and NoCal are in the same boat. Good luck to all! SRG

We made it through the 4th weekend without a disaster SRG!
Had/has me damned nervous though. National forest on three sides and timber conservancy on the other and every bit of it as dry as a popcorn fart. Lord do we need some rain, this is as tinder dry as I've seen it in 25 years here.

Not at the moment. About a month ago, there was a wildfire that started about 2 miles from our house. We're not in a forest area, but we are surrounded by a lot of very dry fields, farmland and have plenty of trees for fuel, so it was a wake-up call that even closer in to town it's a potential that could happen.

I work for the Forest Service in Ukiah, last week we had over 25 new fires on the Umatilla National Forest, mostly small <1ac. Wednesday night and Thursday we had lightning and rain, so there are bound to be more popping up over the next few days. Fire season is in full swing in eastern Oregon and Washington.

http://inciweb.nwcg.gov

I seem to remember that last year we had some members homes being threatened, mostly in Southern Oregon! Hope there is lessof that this year.

the storms in SWO brought a ton of rain, so far only picked up 6 fires in 800+ down strikes......thats a lot of rain.
Gave us a reprieve and a chance to take a breather .

Central OR has got rain thankfully.

I spent 12 days in Dayville where my team started with the 6000+ acre Sugarloaf fire. Two days later Blue Basin went 650 in and hour. A mile from Sugarloaf we stopped with heavy helo's.
Got the School House fire in the mix and jumped it with helo, retardant and handcrews stopped at 140something.

Then the beast, Corner Cr.
We assumed command on 7/1 where it proceed to have three 6000 acre burn periods.
We hit back on the 4th and got mostly contained , other than the Black Canyon Wilderness portion....where the US Forest Service wants something else to happen so an interagency team transitioned with us (state team) and took the fire.
My team contained 27,000 acres.
While we were demobing when another one started across the South fork of the John Day River .....appeared to be in the Murderers Cr area and boiling up decently.
Back home now and picked up a few from the very wet storms....thankfully or we would be on fire worse than last season

hope to take you up on that some day SRJ

I just want to say thank you to everyone .

I really am grateful and thankful to everyone on this site who is working hard to prevent fires, it really means a lot to us to know that you guys are so aware, proactive about fires in the PNW

I have been doing this for 27 years and never seen so much awareness in a group.

On a tangent , we have had 5 tracer fires in the White City Range in the Rogue Valley, two while I was gone.

It is only one bad wind day from being a terrible urban interface fire. Since Jackson County has control over the range they are talking about closing the range during the heat of the day hours and closing it entirely on Red Flag days.
I have never seen so many range fire in my career

:cool:

Last Edited:
good to know what fire closures are on where you are or where you plan activities, they are different in all parts of the state.

Just for clarification :

IFPL affects industry only. So loggers mostly and Non-logging industrial activities like building house pads, drilling wells, tree services and other industrial activities that can take place on forest land.
IFPL (Industrial Fire Precaution Level) can and will fluctuate independent of Public Regulated Use Closures to accommodate industry .....they have to provide a lot of equipment and firefighting apparatus, fire watches, waivers and things that the public doesn't . This allows them to effectively attack a fire if it starts and limits their liability if they do everything right.

Public Regulated Use Closure concerns the general public.
This is campfires, off road vehicle use, saws, mowing and shooting. It usually goes up and down with fire danger, Mod,High,Extreme.
However it isn't always consistent and can be affected by just having a bunch of big fires sucking up resources, DF's know if one more fire starts on their district there wont be the resources for an effective initial attack so they can and will tighten restriction hours in an effort to prevent more fires

Anybody threatened by the Stouts Creek fire? I just saw that the Gov. Brown has declared it an emergency.
We are closer to the cable crossing fire, too close for my comfort, we sat outside watching it crown out in fir trees, from about 2 miles away last night, a little unnerving, so far the wind is carrying it away from us, but we have the boat and camp trailer ready to load and haul out of here at any time.

We are closer to the cable crossing fire, too close for my comfort, we sat outside watching it crown out in fir trees, from about 2 miles away last night, a little unnerving, so far the wind is carrying it away from us, but we have the boat and camp trailer ready to load and haul out of here at any time.

Good luck on that! Hope all turns out best!:)

PS: Keep us informed if you have a free minute! Again, good luck!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top