JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
It seems odd to me that you guys who are worried about costs going up would not have stocked up earlier. It's people like you that will drive sales, supply and ultimately, prices in the future.

I noticed the price of certain parts have increased over the last few weeks by about 15%. No doubt inflated by sellers catering to the paranoid fears of John Q Public.

In fact I've gotten emails from distributors saying "stock up now".
Shame on them.

Executive orders will be used to harass us. The batf will have new rules regarding purchase of firearms and ammo that will be just inside the law. The EPA will begin a serious assault on lead.

Executive orders will be used to harass us. The batf will have new rules regarding purchase of firearms and ammo that will be just inside the law. The EPA will begin a serious assault on lead.

"Settle down Francis" we arnt under marshal law yet. If we learned anything from the last time is keep a level head and not buy in to the paranoia.

I think the old saying goes "a fool and his money are soon parted".

Last Edited:
I meant the executive order nonsense. ;)

If I owned an FFL I would raise prices about 40-60% for the next week or so and give a song and dance about national shortages and new batfe scrutiny, it would allow me to maximize fear based revenue, while also increasing what fear I could, then I'd gently ease back while concocting a story about how BATFE was backing off for now, but there were rumors of a new ban on black and killy gear coming next year, and AR orders were already starting to back up.

I figure, I could probably run that game for a year or two.

The last assault weapon and magazine ban had a sunset. The next one won't.
The next one will have even more restrictions with sharper teeth.

Gun Sales Hinge on Obama Re-Election

As Cabela's Inc. prepares the selection of guns it will sell for the holiday season and winter hunting, the outdoor-gear retailer has two plans: one if President Barack Obama is re-elected, and one if he isn't.

The Sidney, Neb.-based retailer and other companies in the guns-and-ammo business say if Mr. Obama wins a second term they are preparing for a surge in sales—the same as they saw after he was elected in 2008—from buyers fearful the president would back policies to make buying a gun more difficult. If Republican challenger Mitt Romney wins, though, the chain plans to stock more items such as waterproof boots and camouflage hunting gear.

"If Mitt Romney is elected and there's no perceived threat on the freedom to own guns, people might decide to spend disposable income on things like outerwear instead," said Joe Arterburn, a Cabela's spokesman.

Even though there haven't been any substantial changes to gun-control laws under Mr. Obama, Cabela's, Bass Pro Shops, Smith & Wesson Holding Corp. SWHC +8.35% and Olin Corp., OLN -2.03% the maker of Winchester bullets, are anticipating another bump in sales this winter if President Obama is re-elected.

Smith & Wesson raised its full-year sales forecast last week to $530 million to $540 million, up from its previous estimates of $485 million and $505 million, citing strong consumer demand that led to a 30% jump in the number of firearms sold in the first quarter of 2013 compared with the year before.

Catalin Abagiu for The Wall Street Journal

Closely-held Bass Pro Shops said it also expects gun sales to ramp up heading into the 2012 election, but declined to disclose sales figures.

Cabela's saw a 25% increase in new gun buyers right after the 2008 election, and continues to see strong sales, aided by an uptick in female and younger customers, according to Mr. Arterburn.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc., WMT -0.54% the largest U.S. seller of firearms and ammunition, declined to comment on its gun sales.

Retailers' preparations reflect business, not political, concerns, experts say. "Besides making up a large chunk of revenue, guns are a real traffic driver for these stores," said Wells Fargo analyst Matt Nemer. "Businesses are trying to plan, order inventory and staff stores, and you have this event coming down that could significantly impact sales."

The stores are responding to shoppers like David Humke, a 43-year-old manager at a bolt and screw company in Louisiana, who recently stopped at a Cabela's store in Allen, Texas, to browse its selection of collectible guns.

Mr. Humke, an avid deer hunter, worries guns might become less available in the future. "People feel it's coming so they're stockpiling," he said.

Adam Fetcher, a spokesman for the Obama campaign, defended the president's policies. "President Obama's record makes clear that he supports and respects the Second Amendment and the tradition of gun ownership in this country, and we'll continue to fight back against any attempts to mislead voters," he said.

The Romney campaign declined to comment.

Consumers are responding in part to advertisements from advocacy groups such as the National Rifle Association, which warn voters that they could face increased gun regulations if President Obama is re-elected.

In a second term, President Obama wouldn't have to be worry about being re-elected so "there's no political downfall if Obama enacts more stringent gun-control measures," said NRA spokesman Andrew Arulanandam.

Nearly 12 million background checks for gun sales took place in the U.S. this year through Aug. 31, up 56% from the same period in 2008, according to the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Customers must undergo background checks before buying firearms from federally licensed sellers.

Collections of federal excise taxes on the sale of new firearms and ammunition, a proxy for gun sales, rose to $453 million in 2009, a 45% jump from the year before. That's a significant surge compared with the average 6% annual increase reported by the Treasury Department's Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau from 1993 to 2008. Excise tax collections have moderated somewhat, to $344 million in 2011, but remain above pre-2008 levels.

As demand has risen, supply hasn't kept up. Manufacturers are experiencing backlogs, even as they raise prices and report record profits.

Citing the political impact of the election, Olin said its June backlog doubled compared with the year before. The company has said it plans to raise ammunition prices by 2% to 6%.

Many suppliers of guns and ammo have been concerned that increased demand may not last and so have been hesitant to invest in additional manufacturing capacity, leaving retailers worried about adequate supplies.

Cabela's, which generates about a fifth of its $2.8 billion in revenue from firearms and ammunition, is offering to pay suppliers more quickly, 15 days in some cases, in hopes of becoming a favored destination for the limited inventory. It can take some retailers up to 120 days to pay gun and ammo manufacturers.

"This way, vendors know exactly what we're expecting from them and we know they're going to deliver reliably," said Fred Neal, senior director of merchandising for firearms.

Well I hate to tell you this but the panic has already started. I work weekends at a sporting goods store and once the election was called my boss called me to see what else we needed. He had just ordered $135,000 dollars worth of guns and magazines and the wholesalers pages where drying up faster than we could place orders.

So stuff will be drying up for a while until demand slows down and as normal prices will go up but it hardly ever goes down to much after things settle down.

Also with the new stimulus of 40 billion a month the value of the dollar keeps going down driving price up.

So it is your call if you wait or get it now but the PANIC has started!!!

On the one hand, at the Federal level, passing another assault rifle ban or something similar may be difficult. The GOP controls the house and the Dem margin in the Senate is slim and not filibuster-proof.

On the other hand, the original AWB passed the house by a voice vote and the senate by a vote of 95-4.

On the third hand (I'm a mutant), Obama never has to face the voters again.

On the fourth hand, I don't get the sense that gun control is one of his big priorities because the political payback is small and the people who want it are going to vote for him anyway. We've also had the Heller and McDonald decisions since.

On the fifth hand, the number of Americans who carry concealed or owned guns is much greater now than in 1995. "Gun knowledge" is a lot more widespread.

On the sixth hand, some idiot shoots up a theater or crowd every 6 months or so and people want politicians to fix the problem, even though they can't.

On the one hand, at the Federal level, passing another assault rifle ban or something similar may be difficult. The GOP controls the house and the Dem margin in the Senate is slim and not filibuster-proof.

Do you remember how the last one came in? Without warning, it was secretly slipped in piggybacking on another bill.

I wouldn't view it as "political suicide" if it is done at the right time. After a mass shooting when the whole country is hysterical, knee-jerk reactions are quite easy to accept. Even among gun owners, there are people who just don't get why anyone needs a mag to hold more than 5 rds and if given a choice between giving up 20-30 rounders and giving up hunting, I have no doubt there would be a compromise.The Patriot Act or NDAA should be political suicide but they weren't. Fast and Furious was known to most gun owners and most assumed the POTUS' involvement, yet here we sit after his re-election. In my opinion, the ONLY thing that is true political suicide is a scandal involving relations with someone other than their wife. Everything else gets through, unfortunately.:s0159:

I wouldn't view it as "political suicide" if it is done at the right time. After a mass shooting when the whole country is hysterical, knee-jerk reactions are quite easy to accept. Even among gun owners, there are people who just don't get why anyone needs a mag to hold more than 5 rds and if given a choice between giving up 20-30 rounders and giving up hunting, I have no doubt there would be a compromise.

You must have been born before the 80s. Generation X, thank God, was taught to think critically and make rational decisions about things, and it's paid off. It might be the single positive coming from the public school system.

We don't knee-jerk anymore, dude. We roll our eyes when Brady makes their ancient baby-boomer-geared arguments for gun control.

From my local gun shop's Facebook page:

"Update: The Morning After. So, just got off the phone with all my reps and its WWIII again. No AR's left in the warehouse, Ak's just went to $1000. We were hoping this wouldnt happen again, but my main distributor went through 500 AR's in 10 minutes. Ammo is also going MAD, so if you need some let me know. I'm not moving my prices till I have too, but it wont last."

Status

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads