JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
C'mon, I have been buyer and selling on the net for well over 15 years, I have only had 2 bad experiences. Yes you are going to have scammers. We all know that. If you can see the red flags, don't do it. Everybody that does anything on the web does it 1st through paypal friends and family and do not write any description. I have used Paypal from day one with zero problems. Yes there are some people that don't want to use PP and clearly state that in there add before a transaction is made. I do how ever understand in both cases, it is the sellers choice. The only rational explanation that will fly with me is that the seller is to lazy to ship plain and simple.

I am not trying to say it is a pro or con thing. I would just have to guess if some are not willing to ship the payment would be the #1 reason why. I used to buy and sell on Ebay long ago. Still buy now and then. Ruger .22 mags for one seem to be always best there. Now of course I pay with a card so I have zero worries. Now selling? That is a different animal. When the great mag ban was going away I had a lifetime supply of mags. I took a gamble when I was fairly sure it was going to go away and started putting them up on Ebay. I made a killing. I did have one buyer claim the mag never got to him even though tracking showed it did. Rather than fight it I just gave him his money back.
A few times I used E-bay to clean out "junk boxes". Items I no longer needed and could not find someone to give to. I would toss them up on e-bay. Always sold. Did have one last time I did this that pulled the same thing, Tracking showed it delivered, he said it was not, I sent money back. Buyer may well have been telling the truth. I buy on line daily. Delivery is sometimes missed. To me it mattered not as I was getting rid of stuff I was willing to give away. So whether you agree or not a lot of people wanting to sell something are going to refuse to ship. It's thier stuff, how they sell it means nothing to me.
Now since I found this site I have used it a few times to get rid of "junk". Several times I when cleaning out the "stuff boxes" I put it up here for free for supporting members. If I was selling something? To ship it would have to be worth so little to me that I would not care if I never got paid. It's a to each his own thing.

Agreed.
Communication is key to the whole experience.
I have, however ran into several inconveniences, where the seller has had personal ( more important ) matters in life.
Some comms have went flat non-existent, where I thought I may have got duped, but everything panned out positive.
I get what your frustrations and concerns, though.

Agreed.
Communication is key to the whole experience.
I have, however ran into several inconveniences, where the seller has had personal ( more important ) matters in life.
Some comms have went flat non-existent, where I thought I may have got duped, but everything panned out positive.
I get what your frustrations and concerns, though.

That has happened to me a couples of times also. With the very same outcome.

Were talking 3 pistol mags here not a firearm......

I get that. But much of what I said still applies.

I mail stuff regularly and it's second nature. Not everybody can say that, and some folks just plain are not interested in doing so. Agree? No, but I'm not gonna change their minds.

Calling people lazy is an bubblegum move in my opinion. I want FTF cause it how I prefer it. I dont have anyway to recieve payment other than cash. And I dont want to open a way to get paid online I dont trust it. So stop judging people in what they feel comfortable selling there items. And we post online because its pretty much the only way to advertise it.

I think (mine anyway) the frustrating part of making things go away, (the overall thought of it happening is gratifying) may (and many are) come from dealing with flakes on CL and the like places to make free sales. Lets not mention the other like I just have.

For many, it's just easier to toss the stuff on the lawn, sit down and wait. Some are shy of the internet thing is all.
And, I don't blame them for it. I get real bitter myself of it all.

First of all like GOG said you can print the labels at home and let the carrier pick them up.

Not everyone is tech savvy or owns printer

Second, What's Fisherman's?

Fishing & Outdoor Shop | Fisherman's Marine & Outdoor Fisherman's Marine & Outdoor
But used that as an example, insert <whatever>

Third, yes I wanted the mags for a really good deal and was floored by the lack of effort on the seller's part.

They where probably more concerned with their convenience over yours, it is after their effort. If you wanted them bad enough you'd make the meet. If it's too far or inconvenient, pass on the sale which is what sounds like you did.

I've passed on plenty of things because for a long time I refused to use PayPal and/or was unwilling to make the trip. On the flip side I drove Oregon City to Coos Bay to buy a rifle I wanted, I would not have wanted to pay via PayPal, have it shipped and find it is not as clean as I was expecting, so I made the trip.

Countless times on this forum and others. People will list things for sale, but will not ship. It honestly does not make any sense. If you are going to spend the time and effort to place an add. Set up a meeting place for a ftf transaction. You could have spent the very same time and effort to go to a Post Office. People put things on the web to increase there chances of selling. It is a "World Wide Web" Not just a Portland web site or a Seattle only web site. I would like to say that the seller is lazy. But the same effort is involved in both transactions. It simply makes no sense especially when you can print labels at home . Then let the carrier take the package. That's less effort than the other 2 ways. I bought 2,500 rounds of ammo from a member here in Portland and he shipped me 5 boxes that were very heavy. But a guy in the Portland area will not ship 3 pistol mags. What is wrong with this pic? Rant over. Fell free to beat me against the wall................

"lazy"?? Really?? Can you not consider other legitimate reasons why some folks don't want to ship, besides laziness??

There are plenty of reasons folks may not want to ship. Not the least of which is being the potential victim of a scammer. Having been scammed on Ebay and other sites before, it's more than a legitimate reason to choose not to ship. And it's a royal pain in the azz to try and recover money if you've been scammed - it's hardly worth the time and effort. I won't ship anything until I am certain I have full payment in my hands. And I don't do Cashier's Checks, Money Orders, etc. Some folks are willing to front the cash through PayPal, etc., but they're taking a risk too, and some folks don't want to do that either. And I definitely won't ship to someone that doesn't have some time on the forum and a documented history of 100% positive feedback.

And shipping firearms isn't as simple as printing a label. You need to be aware of the transfer laws, particularly if you're shipping out of state - places like WA and CA don't make it as clear cut as printing a shipping label and sending it on its way. A transfer has to take place between 2 FFL's. I've done it. It's as much of a PITA as a FTF meeting.

Then there's the risk that a buyer claims the item never arrived. Great. If you insured the package (which I'd do for anything of value), you can then file a claim and wait, and wait, and wait, while the shipper tries to find every way possible to get out of paying your claim

As for this being the "world wide web", well, this is actually NORTHWEST Firearms. Not World Firearm Sales. People anticipate they'll likely be doing business from someone within a reasonably close distance. If I wanted to sell to someone out of state, I'd list on Gunbroker or Armslist. I'm not here to reach buyers around the country. I'm here to reach buyers here, in the NW, preferably within reasonable driving distance. Does that limit potential buyers? Maybe. But so what? It's my call.

Honestly, why is it anyone else's concern how someone chooses to sell their item? Don't like the seller's items or limitations, move on to someone else, it's really easy. I just don't see a reason to get upset because someone chooses to limit how they sell THEIR items.

I suppose I'm one of those ignorant, lazy people. I always try and sell local but have driven all over the state to sell things to folks to try and make things more convenient. I've never shipped anything so am ignorant of the protocol and have read a lot of threads (mostly regarding knives) of people getting shafted. I also am cautious about the money transactions, I suppose overall I have a harder time w/trust if I can't look at someone. I only recently opened a paypal account and only have 1 credit card that I try to avoid using. My wife is uber paranoid regarding digital transactions and scammers.

Honestly I wouldn't mind shipping things if I was more familiar with the process and had a more trusting nature. I personally don't know any FFL's but have had firearms shipped to a local guy a couple times that worked out but it was all on his time and sort of left me feeling annoyed about the whole process. I find I'm not very tolerant of things that go sideways and just tend to avoid situations that may invite nefarious behavior. I've shipped firearms a few times but it was only back to the manufacturer.

I guess I should man up and take a chance. I realize the market exposure is significantly greater if were to do so.

honestly, non FFL items, id much rather ship. far easier on my end.. I always seem to have someone who wants a single mag then go and meet somewhere..o_O
I have shiped a firearm once and went though a FFL to do it. such a pain to have to be a go between for 2 parties, then having the buyer in the mix as well.:mad:

Calling people lazy is an bubblegum move in my opinion. I want FTF cause it how I prefer it. I dont have anyway to recieve payment other than cash. And I dont want to open a way to get paid online I dont trust it. So stop judging people in what they feel comfortable selling there items. And we post online because its pretty much the only way to advertise it.

Are you the jerk with pistol mags? :s0140:

Seriously, this is another big reason, some want to deal with cash, period, done, end of story. It is their property and their call on how they want to deal. It's really that simple.

Not adding to the OP's concern, here.
As far as established members here on the forum, I'd be comfortable dealing with them, more than someone who pops on, registers, just to respond to a listed item. Interaction around here speaks a LOT.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top