JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Countless times on this forum and others. People will list things for sale, but will not ship. It honestly does not make any sense. If you are going to spend the time and effort to place an add. Set up a meeting place for a ftf transaction. You could have spent the very same time and effort to go to a Post Office. People put things on the web to increase there chances of selling. It is a "World Wide Web" Not just a Portland web site or a Seattle only web site. I would like to say that the seller is lazy. But the same effort is involved in both transactions. It simply makes no sense especially when you can print labels at home . Then let the carrier take the package. That's less effort than the other 2 ways. I bought 2,500 rounds of ammo from a member here in Portland and he shipped me 5 boxes that were very heavy. But a guy in the Portland area will not ship 3 pistol mags. What is wrong with this pic? Rant over. Fell free to beat me against the wall................

I have had people in Oregon ship me uppers, handguards, quad rails, People in Washington Northern or Eastern ship as well cause of the length of the drive. I have even purchased rifles and had them shipped to an FFL. Only once did someone with an upper not want to ship even though I offered to pay shipping. So it mostly has worked out for me.

I think that many people are worried about bad payment scams, and aren't motivated or willing to wait for cleared payment before shipping. I also think many sellers don't realize they can drop it off at an FFL so that the FFL does the mailing for them (buyer paying the FFL a service fee). This would be even easier than meeting the buyer at the same FFL.

You could have spent the very same time and effort to go to a Post Office.

Location matters, you must not have a very crowded PO, I'm not standing in line for 30 minutes plus to ship a couple pistol mags, but Fisherman's is a two minute walk, do you want the mags or not?

Not to mention PayPal protects you.

Plenty of people don't and won't deal with PayPal

Many folks here are not really gun people, and don't have the experience or knowledge to ship firearms. They don't want to learn and their minds are not likely gonna change.

It's more than just the two way street of worrying if the seller can be trusted or if the buyer can be trusted.. There is no escrow. It's other things, like who absorbs the loss when a package is stolen or damaged. Or who takes the loss when a background check is denied, or a gun comes up on a hot-list. If a person is not well-heeled enough to absorb a loss, or can't withstand a six month wait for a shipping insurance settlement, then again, I can't force him to ship something when he is adamently against it.

There are many other sites, more devoted to collecting, where buying and selling via shipping is better understood by both the buying and selling parties.

Last Edited:
I think that many people are worried about bad payment scams, and aren't motivated or willing to wait for cleared payment before shipping.

That argument is mute when you have been a member for many ears and have well more posts and likes than the seller. We all do paypal or a garruanteed USPS money order.o_O

To be honest, I find it irksome too as I don't live near a major city, and I'm usually so slammed for time that dropping/receiving a box off is far easier than lining up a meet.

I suspect @WAYNO is right; a lot of folks don't know that it can be legally done very easily, so they err on the side of not doing so. I've had more than one I've PMed asking if they would ship to an FFL and they said they didn't know how.

I have UPS & USPS accounts and have stuff picked up from my door.
It's a piece of cake. I have a tablet and use a wireless printer. It takes all of twenty minutes, if that to put a label together and pack up a box.

Then I take a break from all that extravagant labor and sit in my rocking chair on my porch. :)

Many folks here are not really gun people, and don't have the experience or knowledge to ship firearms. They don't want to learn and their minds are not likely gonna change.

It's more than just the two way street of worrying if the seller can be trusted or if the buyer can be trusted.. There is no escrow. It's other things, like who absorbs the loss when a package is stolen or damaged. Or who takes the loss when a background check is denied, or a gun comes up on a hot-list. If a person is not well-heeled enough to absorb a loss, or can't withstand a six month wait for a shipping insurance settlement, then again, I can't force him to ship something when he is adamently against it.

There are many other sites, more devoted to collecting, where buying and selling via shipping is better understood by both the buying and selling parties.

Were talking 3 pistol mags here not a firearm......

Location matters, you must not have a very crowded PO, I'm not standing in line for 30 minutes plus to ship a couple pistol mags, but Fisherman's is a two minute walk, do you want the mags or not?

Plenty of people don't and won't deal with PayPal

First of all like GOG said you can print the labels at home and let the carrier pick them up. Second, What's Fisherman's? Third, yes I wanted the mags for a really good deal and was floored by the lack of effort on the seller's part.

Of course can't speak for all. Would have to guess payment would be the #1 reason for those who don't want to ship. If buyer A wants to buy from seller C, how is A going to pay? Is A wanting to send a check? How long is A willing to wait while C makes sure the check is good? If A wants to send a M/O how long is A willing to wait for that to clear? Net is full of stories of M/O that are no good, run through a nest of banks that can take a couple weeks for C's bank to tell him, "hey dude, that check is no good and we took the money back".
PayPal? Most know their attitude on anything to do with firearms. So if C takes payment from them then A complains, is PP going to just take the money back?

People are the way they are.
Being more of an introvert myself i dont like crowded places and busy parking lots.
But ive shipped firearms and parts, traveled out of state to make small sells and quick trades. Ive had really good luck with this site. Perhaps not some smart decisions but ive shipped before recieving payment a couple a times and the deals always worked out with members here.
Maybe their local shipping places is untrustworthy and full of a bunch of c**ts who screw up orders?
As they say once bitten twice shy

I've bought/sold on a lot of firearms related forums, and others.
When I first started it all, every transaction was (and is) a must ship.
My dime, no problem. Their dime, no problem. In most instances.
Lots of items have interested me, and the seller won't ship. Unfortunately, it is what it is.
Airing out gripes because they will not, here, you honestly think they'll be so concerned to change their ways? Not likely. Deal with it. I'm sure we've ll missed out on things.

It's called personal preference. I've missed out on a lot I've wanted, because they chose not to ship, as well.
Nothing personal meant by anything I've said. It is what it is, unfortunately.

The thread is redundant.

Of course can't speak for all. Would have to guess payment would be the #1 reason for those who don't want to ship. If buyer A wants to buy from seller C, how is A going to pay? Is A wanting to send a check? How long is A willing to wait while C makes sure the check is good? If A wants to send a M/O how long is A willing to wait for that to clear? Net is full of stories of M/O that are no good, run through a nest of banks that can take a couple weeks for C's bank to tell him, "hey dude, that check is no good and we took the money back".
PayPal? Most know their attitude on anything to do with firearms. So if C takes payment from them then A complains, is PP going to just take the money back?

C'mon, I have been buyer and selling on the net for well over 15 years, I have only had 2 bad experiences. Yes you are going to have scammers. We all know that. If you can see the red flags, don't do it. Everybody that does anything on the web does it 1st through paypal friends and family and do not write any description. I have used Paypal from day one with zero problems. Yes there are some people that don't want to use PP and clearly state that in there add before a transaction is made. I do how ever understand in both cases, it is the sellers choice. The only rational explanation that will fly with me is that the seller is to lazy to ship plain and simple.

I go out of my way, 30 miles round trip for a sale, due to my location.
If I make a sale, I make sure they realize this, and it's going to be possibly a few days before I ship.
Mainly due to the inconvenience of my having to make a "special" trip to get it there.
That's comes from living away from the city.

I go out of my way, 30 miles round trip for a sale, due to my location.
If I make a sale, I make sure they realize this, and it's going to be possibly a few days before I ship.
Mainly due to the inconvenience of my having to make a "special" trip to get it there.
That's comes from living away from the city.

I certainly have no problem with that if there is good communication.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top