Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

556 Barrel for pistol

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by 2A2Dend, Apr 17, 2016.

1. 2A2Dend

2A2Dend .. Well-Known Member

So here I am, pondering a ground up 11.5" 5.56 pistol build. I've looked at, read and researched barrels to the point I can't decide. I want the best buck accuracy I can get from barrel "quality"

If I go this route, obviously, weight is not my concern.
    I picked up a Colt Socom heavy barrel that I thought about having cut down and open the gas port. Then again, I read cutting a chrome lined barrel can cause later issues at the crown.

Thoughts or barrel recommendations?

2. Garg

Garg east of portland metro Hold my beer..... watch this Bronze Supporter

3. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I'm no expert, but I don't think re-drilling a barrel would work well.

Dyjital likes this.
  4. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

Accuracy and pistol barrels don't go hand in hand. You can chase the proverbial 1/4" all day and keep throwing money at it as much as you want. Until it's an SBR and you are using match ammo with a parallax matched scope dialed for your range....

No reason not to go with a generic off the shelf chrome lined 5.56 barrel. You won't notice the difference.
    $.02

5. Pandaz3

Pandaz3 Cornelius, Oregon NRA Lifetime Member Platinum Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

Faxon barrels if you are looking for good quality at a fair price and I have two pistol uppers, a Aero Precision and a Palmetto that works for me.