JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Snowboard Reaction GIF by Red Bull

Not a vary useful challenge for a "grid down" situation, IMO.

Simply from the perspective of no idea what true workload you would actually be doing. Given all of the other normalcy conveniences are still intact & used. You could extrapolate possible examples of necessary work in your test, without putting yourself in any risk. Say hauling 5 gallons of scum water twice per day, treating said water (but not using said water), along with splitting and hauling wood for 4 hours. Every day.

If your on vacation from work. ie no normalcy.

Perspective: we do not do much manual labor, as in all day manual labor. Recently we moved my shop, 8 trips over 2 1/2 days. Daily caloric intake about tripled. That was with normal conveniences.

So, yah, I'm just going with a change in diet on this one. No relevant challenge.

Go camping instead, and have fun with your family.
Ideally those are task that could be good to practice. Since I am currently working two jobs (about 64hrs a week) I am practicing baby steps.

Honestly in a grid down situation, I would be spending as little time as possible outside the home. Living a very short distance from I5 means the hordes would be scouring our neighborhoods in the immediate days and weeks after the power went off. It would be an unpleasant adventure just to make it to and from the nearest water source.

Now that I think about it, I should probably plan for storing my cooking water as well.

The ignore button is for pussies.
You realize he used his ignore button on me... so in essence.......... :s0140:

(Yeah... he'll see mine. He already told us, multiple times he keeps two browsers open at all times. One to comment and one not logged in so he can read the ignored traffic, anyway....)🤪

Now that I think about it, I should probably plan for storing my cooking water as well.
I don't know how much you plan on storing but having gone without water (at least out of my well) for 8 weeks, not having water readily available really changes how you do most things.

While I was able to get water from my neighbors I still had to haul jugs of it to my house, dump in into the blue plastic jugs with valves, and really watch it. I managed to get my use down to like 7 gallons a day and that was just for myself.

My point being if one is really thinking about prepping then a source of good water, nearby and easily available is paramount. Without it, or difficult to obtain easily could put a damper on all your other plans.

I know of a lot of people in Klamath Co. who are experiencing their wells going dry. Fortunately the County is supplying 500 gal tanks and filling them for temporary use until they can get a new well but even this is proving to be stressful and problematic as they have to figure out ways to temporarily tie into their houses, figure out a pumping system etc. I know - I help a lot of these people out daily....

Last Edited:
Ideally those are task that could be good to practice. Since I am currently working two jobs (about 64hrs a week) I am practicing baby steps.

Honestly in a grid down situation, I would be spending as little time as possible outside the home. Living a very short distance from I5 means the hordes would be scouring our neighborhoods in the immediate days and weeks after the power went off. It would be an unpleasant adventure just to make it to and from the nearest water source.

That's the thing though, no one knows what might occur in a calamity. It could be anything from allowing you "all the time you wish in the world", to "not enough time to sleep"...

A possible: Natural disaster causing said grid down, where you help your family & community. Flat out.

That's the thing though, no one knows what might occur in a calamity. It could be anything from allowing you "all the time you wish in the world", to "not enough time to sleep"...

A possible: Natural disaster causing said grid down, where you help your family & community. Flat out.
The one that to me has always seemed "most possible" is that "great shake" the smart people keep telling me will happen. May not happen in my lifetime but they keep saying it will happen. If it does the Gov will of course swoop in to help. What most do not seem to get is their idea of "swooping in" is normally days. Even a few days with the infrastructure for power and water down will cause something to see. Those in highly populated area's will get to see what humans are capable of when scared.

I don't know how much you plan on storing but having gone without water (at least out of my well) for 8 weeks, not having water readily available really changes how you do most things.

While I was able to get water from my neighbors I still had to haul jugs of it to my house, dump in into the blue plastic jugs with valves, and really watch it. I managed to get my use down to like 7 gallons a day and that was just for myself.

My point being if one is really thinking about prepping then a source of good water, nearby and easily available is paramount. Without it, or difficult to obtain easily could put a damper on all your other plans.

I know of a lot of people in Klamath Co. who are experiencing their wells going dry. Fortunately the County is supplying 500 gal tanks and filling them for temporary use until they can get a new well but even this is proving to be stressful and problematic as they have to figure out ways to temporarily tie into their houses, figure out a pumping system etc. I know - I help a lot of these people out daily....
Some years back I passed up buying a piece of property with a mobile home on it in Central Oregon because it had no well. Guy built a cistern and had water delivered. I read folks in Arizona built cisterns and buried water tanks as the population grew to make sure they had water.

I read one of the guys buried a big tank and built his shop over it to hide it.

Back 'in the day' I knew of several people with cisterns, And maintained they were satisfactory, providing one has a way to keep it full.

Water delivery is an option but needs to be reliable. Otherwise that cistern is going to go empty pretty fast.

Kinda like ammo in a semi auto gun - it goes faster than you think.

Boy howdy you are right, I recently bought 2 9mm's with multiple 17 round magazines and I'm now seeing my ammo can of ammo getting depleted to the point that the next time I make 9mm I'll be making 5000 rounds just for me.

Boy howdy you are right, I recently bought 2 9mm's with multiple 17 round magazines and I'm now seeing my ammo can of ammo getting depleted to the point that the next time I make 9mm I'll be making 5000 rounds just for me.
:D 5,000 per gun or overall? It's been cooling down weather wise so I can get into the garage and load some. Think I will load 38spec.

Back 'in the day' I knew of several people with cisterns, And maintained they were satisfactory, providing one has a way to keep it full.

Water delivery is an option but needs to be reliable. Otherwise that cistern is going to go empty pretty fast.

Given the topic that's good info on how fast people run out of water in a dry climate.

My thoughts are when the grid shuts down you either defend what you have or hide it so nobody can steal it.

A cistern is a good way to hide needed water.

Not that there is anything wrong with practicing to live like that. One day a lot of us may need to be able to do so. I am old enough now that "roughing it" is no longer fun. Even when I go "camping" now I want comfort and ease. If I had to make do in a pinch I know I can still do without. If I am around to see a major crash it may be interesting to watch though. There are now days a lot of people who will probably all but starve if they can't order food ready made :D
Wait, are you saying my doordash pass wont work if the grid goes down?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top