JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I know that it will add some weight but I'm thinking that I would like to have a heavy barrel.

The T3 is more expensive at Cabelas vs Sportsmans Warehouse. Both have special editions with flited barrels and I got one at SW in Clackamas. If you're going to hunt, avoid the chunk. A hunting rifle needs to be "lively" in the hands if you do anything but set up and shoot long range, the heavy barrel is more of a hindrance. Sustained fire isn't the role of a hunting rifle and a well balanced and easy to carry rifle is the ticket. A T3, Talley Lightweights and a reasonable sized scope of 8 to 10x too end will be your huckleberry.

If you are looking for a Long Range shooter, the Ruger Precision Rifle is the Cat's Meow!!! Mine shoots to a grand and beyond very accurately and has since retired the Savage 10 fcp for all Critter Wackin duty on my Ranch!

I have been playing around with the idea of buying a new rifle. Would really like it in .308 so I don't have to stock pile a new type of ammo.

I am looking for recommendations and thoughts from everyone that owns one, what there favorites are and where they purchased. I would be using it for hunting so I really don't want one that's really heavy but am open to anything.

Mossberg MVP® Varmint & Predator | O.F. Mossberg & Sons

I found this one on line and was a little shocked I always think of mossberg as a shotgun but then what do I know.o_O

I'd go Ruger gunsight scout if you can afford it - fit and finish are superb. Wish I hadn't had to sell mine. Buy the polymer mags, take a lot of the weight off.

Cabelas has the Savage 12FV on sale right now $369. Great base to build on and is great right out of the box. Sub MOA is an understatement. I have the .308 and .223. Give it a look.

Is yours in .308?
Correct! Of course I had to change it up, make it "better" I tossed the Keymod forend and installed an old school Armalight round aluminum tube forend! Added a Kydex piece to the cheek rest to keep from pulling beard hairs, and swapped the break for a threaded cap until my Stamp clears and I can pick up my Mchonto Reflex suppressor!!! I would forgo the Scout and go right to the top and get one of these Rugers!!!! You cannot build a Bolt Gun this good for twice the price!!!

Correct! Of course I had to change it up, make it "better" I tossed the Keymod forend and installed an old school Armalight round aluminum tube forend! Added a Kydex piece to the cheek rest to keep from pulling beard hairs, and swapped the break for a threaded cap until my Stamp clears and I can pick up my Mchonto Reflex suppressor!!! I would forgo the Scout and go right to the top and get one of these Rugers!!!! You cannot build a Bolt Gun this good for twice the price!!!

You plead a fine case - I may just have to consider doing that.

Any pics available of yours? I'd like to see it with the mods

If you are looking for a Long Range shooter, the Ruger Precision Rifle is the Cat's Meow!!! Mine shoots to a grand and beyond very accurately and has since retired the Savage 10 fcp for all Critter Wackin duty on my Ranch!
This is honestly what I was going to recommend then I saw he wanted it for hunting and had capped the price at $700. But if he's willing to spend the extra money and carry a little extra weight the Ruger Precision is pretty much what I recommend to everyone.

My shooting buddy owns several Rem 700s. Great
shooters. This is my 308 Savage Heavy barrel model 10.
5 shot groups from the bench at 100 yards. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
DSC00082.JPG

Last Edited:
It depends on your budget. The remington 700 is the small block V8 of rifles. Buy a SPS ADL for $400 and add a new stock and maybe a better finish and you have basically a semi-custom rifle. The Tikka T3 is an excellent rifle and is generally less than most standard hunting rifles. I dont tyoically buy bargain brands or models because you typically get what you pay for. I have a Tikka T3 Stainless Superlight and it cost me $620 at Sportsmans Whorehouse in Portland.

I don't get it.

Portland to Tikkakoski, Finland = 5000 miles and your Tikka T3 cost you $620. You are not in the Euro Trading Partnership.

London to Tikkakoski, Finland = 1200 miles and a basic T3 costs us $1000. The UK is [currently] in the Euro Trading Partnership.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

tac

Savage. They have about 12 models in .308 from $450 (Axis) to $1800 (12 Palma) Not one of them is going to disappoint you.

Highly recommend 12 BVSS and 12. 11 trophy hunter is a great lower end Savage.

I have shot a few rifles and will never pony up for anything other than another Savage.

I picked up a Savage 10TR rifle last year for about $450. 5R rifling, 20" bull barrel, tactical bolt handle. One of my favorite guns to shoot. My best group at 100 yards was .75" with rear sandbag benchrest. I am by no ways an experience precision shooter.

Here in not-so-Merrie Olde England we generally pay around 10% MORE in UK pounds than an equal number of USD.

That Ruger precision rifle costs us at least £1400.00 here, or about $1800.00. No discounts here, either, although the UK national sales tax of 20% is included in the price.

Of course, it costs WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more in dog money - USDog$12800.

tac

Some good choices in this thread.
Both of my suggestions have been said before.
I would suggest a Remington 700 BDL , a CZ 550 or a CZ 557 Carbine.
I really like the 550 full stock models , but I'm weird that way! LOL!
I owned a 557 Carbine in .30-06 and it was a great rifle and excellent shooter.
But a Cherry Remington 03A3 came along and and well ... you all know how those stories go... LOL!
Andy

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews