JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here in not-so-Merrie Olde England we generally pay around 10% MORE in UK pounds than an equal number of USD.

That Ruger precision rifle costs us at least £1400.00 here, or about $1800.00. No discounts here, either, although the UK national sales tax of 20% is included in the price.

Of course, it costs WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more in dog money - USDog$12800.

tac
Easier said than done, I know... but consider immigrating to the Jolly Ol USofA... We could always use more English-speakers...:D

Good post No Regerts. BTDT. When I was into long range shooting/hunting the cartridge of choice was a 300WSM and 7mm rem mag. Both known for long range precision and excellent on game performance. Those rifles were heavy barreled single purpose rifles. I guess it all depends on where you hunt and what hunting style you choose or what tag you draw. Trust me, where I hunt in the Deschutes canyons, some years, you need all the accuracy you can muster out of a good hunting rifle. I'm still thinking a Tikka T3 would even suffice in this scenario and location. I wish my photobucket was working. I'd post some pics for some of you guys that haven't hunted the canyons in the Deschutes...
Like my golf balls, all kills fall to the bottom of the canyons AWAY from the road. Kinda the same place your kid's favorite Christmas tree is located!

Correct! Of course I had to change it up, make it "better" I tossed the Keymod forend and installed an old school Armalight round aluminum tube forend! Added a Kydex piece to the cheek rest to keep from pulling beard hairs, and swapped the break for a threaded cap until my Stamp clears and I can pick up my Mchonto Reflex suppressor!!! I would forgo the Scout and go right to the top and get one of these Rugers!!!! You cannot build a Bolt Gun this good for twice the price!!!
I bought my RPR in .308 yesterday. So you have had yours for most of a year now. How well does it shoot for you? Still loving it? What grain bullet works best for you?

I'm going outside the box, and stepping into the "Way Back" machine!
I have a Winchester M-100, autoloader in .308. Light, handy, plenty accurate for a deer rifle. They aren't cheap, but not horribly expensive either!
Just the other end of the spectrum from monster heavy barrels! :)

Oops! I feel foolish now! Perhaps I should reread the thread title before posting! o_O
When was the last time you stripped it all the way down to clean it. You only need to do it once to realize you don't have enough hands for all the pieces. It is one of the hardest guns I have ever taken apart and put back together.

stick with the 30's (.308/30-06) unless you got deep wallets and access to ranges in excess of 1200m stay away from the 338LM. you are just wasting ammo up to those ranges. anything 6.5 or 6mm and some 30s can get you there (1200m)for a fraction of the cost.
as you and others have pointed out your goal is hunting. Hunting is not long range shooting and long range shooting is not long range hunting.
howa has an awesome action one of the smoothest I have ever held, but not as smooth as the old CZ 550 varmint. But the triggers on the 550 are like breaking fine glass rods when adjusted correctly.
since you obviously like savages the Old Savage 10 scout with a Vortex PST 1-4x would probably be exactly what you are looking for.
Just bought a weatherby vanguard - same thing as a howa. Put a nikon prostaff 5 2.5-10 x 40 on top. I am interested to see how well it shoots. Suppose to be sub moa. Paid 460 at Wal-Mart for the rifle.

I love me some Weatherby!

Many years ago my ex-wife traded for an original Weatherby in 300Weatherby. Great rifle... unfortunately the previous owner, also a horse trader, had put some hot reloads thru it and ruined it.

Just another random off-topic post for those that can endure such things. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top