JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Seeking help identifying this bolt gun. This was left to me from the death of a family member and there are no identifying marks nor do i know anything about it. I'll have to wait till I get home to tear into it. I know it's not a 1903 Springfield from the safety right rear of the action. I believe it's of a Mauser design

IMG_3648.jpeg IMG_3649.jpeg IMG_3650.jpeg

British Pattern 14 Enfield(303 British) or US Model 1917 Enfield (30-06) if original barrel.

Looks like a "flaming bomb" (US) stamp on the left side. Definitive marks should be under the front scope base.

Bruce

The rear sight protective "ears" have been ground off so no way to go fully back to military configuration with the rear sight.

Does it still have a 26 inch barrel? They were commonly shortened to remove the front sight and the barrel sight mount machining, and to make it handier.

Bruce

Your relative was likely really proud of that rifle. It's a more solid, reliable rifle than many modern rifles, just not as stylish. Use it as-is in their memory.

Bruce

Last Edited:
Would love to see more of this rifle...
I like a well thought out "Sporter" made from a military rifle.
This one looks like a good one.
Assuming the bore is good...it would make for a dandy hunting rifle.
Andy

I have two rifles built off from that action - a 338-06 and a 300H&H. A Square made some really heavy kickers on that action. Other than cock on close and the weight it is a great action in my opinion for a sporter rifle. Solid as a rock and dependable - the last 1917 action was built I believe in 1919.

The Remington Model 30 was a nice rifle - use to have one - had a crescent but plate - not a fan. Overall it was a very nice rifle.

Your relative was likely really proud of that rifle. It's a more solid, reliable rifle that many modern rifles, just not as stylish. Use it as-is in their memory.

Bruce
I've been studying and practicing gun smithing in my spare time as a hobby. I don't hunt anymore but I love shooting distance. I'll make it shine again when I'm done.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top