JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I know that it will add some weight but I'm thinking that I would like to have a heavy barrel.

The T3 is more expensive at Cabelas vs Sportsmans Warehouse. Both have special editions with flited barrels and I got one at SW in Clackamas. If you're going to hunt, avoid the chunk. A hunting rifle needs to be "lively" in the hands if you do anything but set up and shoot long range, the heavy barrel is more of a hindrance. Sustained fire isn't the role of a hunting rifle and a well balanced and easy to carry rifle is the ticket. A T3, Talley Lightweights and a reasonable sized scope of 8 to 10x too end will be your huckleberry.

If you are looking for a Long Range shooter, the Ruger Precision Rifle is the Cat's Meow!!! Mine shoots to a grand and beyond very accurately and has since retired the Savage 10 fcp for all Critter Wackin duty on my Ranch!

I have been playing around with the idea of buying a new rifle. Would really like it in .308 so I don't have to stock pile a new type of ammo.

I am looking for recommendations and thoughts from everyone that owns one, what there favorites are and where they purchased. I would be using it for hunting so I really don't want one that's really heavy but am open to anything.

Mossberg MVP® Varmint & Predator | O.F. Mossberg & Sons

I found this one on line and was a little shocked I always think of mossberg as a shotgun but then what do I know.o_O

I'd go Ruger gunsight scout if you can afford it - fit and finish are superb. Wish I hadn't had to sell mine. Buy the polymer mags, take a lot of the weight off.

Cabelas has the Savage 12FV on sale right now $369. Great base to build on and is great right out of the box. Sub MOA is an understatement. I have the .308 and .223. Give it a look.

Is yours in .308?
Correct! Of course I had to change it up, make it "better" I tossed the Keymod forend and installed an old school Armalight round aluminum tube forend! Added a Kydex piece to the cheek rest to keep from pulling beard hairs, and swapped the break for a threaded cap until my Stamp clears and I can pick up my Mchonto Reflex suppressor!!! I would forgo the Scout and go right to the top and get one of these Rugers!!!! You cannot build a Bolt Gun this good for twice the price!!!

Correct! Of course I had to change it up, make it "better" I tossed the Keymod forend and installed an old school Armalight round aluminum tube forend! Added a Kydex piece to the cheek rest to keep from pulling beard hairs, and swapped the break for a threaded cap until my Stamp clears and I can pick up my Mchonto Reflex suppressor!!! I would forgo the Scout and go right to the top and get one of these Rugers!!!! You cannot build a Bolt Gun this good for twice the price!!!

You plead a fine case - I may just have to consider doing that.

Any pics available of yours? I'd like to see it with the mods

If you are looking for a Long Range shooter, the Ruger Precision Rifle is the Cat's Meow!!! Mine shoots to a grand and beyond very accurately and has since retired the Savage 10 fcp for all Critter Wackin duty on my Ranch!
This is honestly what I was going to recommend then I saw he wanted it for hunting and had capped the price at $700. But if he's willing to spend the extra money and carry a little extra weight the Ruger Precision is pretty much what I recommend to everyone.

My shooting buddy owns several Rem 700s. Great
shooters. This is my 308 Savage Heavy barrel model 10.
5 shot groups from the bench at 100 yards. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
DSC00082.JPG

Last Edited:
It depends on your budget. The remington 700 is the small block V8 of rifles. Buy a SPS ADL for $400 and add a new stock and maybe a better finish and you have basically a semi-custom rifle. The Tikka T3 is an excellent rifle and is generally less than most standard hunting rifles. I dont tyoically buy bargain brands or models because you typically get what you pay for. I have a Tikka T3 Stainless Superlight and it cost me $620 at Sportsmans Whorehouse in Portland.

I don't get it.

Portland to Tikkakoski, Finland = 5000 miles and your Tikka T3 cost you $620. You are not in the Euro Trading Partnership.

London to Tikkakoski, Finland = 1200 miles and a basic T3 costs us $1000. The UK is [currently] in the Euro Trading Partnership.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

tac

Savage. They have about 12 models in .308 from $450 (Axis) to $1800 (12 Palma) Not one of them is going to disappoint you.

Highly recommend 12 BVSS and 12. 11 trophy hunter is a great lower end Savage.

I have shot a few rifles and will never pony up for anything other than another Savage.

I picked up a Savage 10TR rifle last year for about $450. 5R rifling, 20" bull barrel, tactical bolt handle. One of my favorite guns to shoot. My best group at 100 yards was .75" with rear sandbag benchrest. I am by no ways an experience precision shooter.

Here in not-so-Merrie Olde England we generally pay around 10% MORE in UK pounds than an equal number of USD.

That Ruger precision rifle costs us at least £1400.00 here, or about $1800.00. No discounts here, either, although the UK national sales tax of 20% is included in the price.

Of course, it costs WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more in dog money - USDog$12800.

tac

Some good choices in this thread.
Both of my suggestions have been said before.
I would suggest a Remington 700 BDL , a CZ 550 or a CZ 557 Carbine.
I really like the 550 full stock models , but I'm weird that way! LOL!
I owned a 557 Carbine in .30-06 and it was a great rifle and excellent shooter.
But a Cherry Remington 03A3 came along and and well ... you all know how those stories go... LOL!
Andy

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top