JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been playing around with the idea of buying a new rifle. Would really like it in .308 so I don't have to stock pile a new type of ammo.

I am looking for recommendations and thoughts from everyone that owns one, what there favorites are and where they purchased. I would be using it for hunting so I really don't want one that's really heavy but am open to anything.

Mossberg MVP® Varmint & Predator | O.F. Mossberg & Sons

I found this one on line and was a little shocked I always think of mossberg as a shotgun but then what do I know.o_O

i like my savage 11 in 308. its the trophy hunter xp package with the nikon bdc scope. i bought it new in box a while back from a member on here.

bi-mart seems to have the best price on these rifles out of anywhere ive ever seen.

It depends on your budget. The remington 700 is the small block V8 of rifles. Buy a SPS ADL for $400 and add a new stock and maybe a better finish and you have basically a semi-custom rifle. The Tikka T3 is an excellent rifle and is generally less than most standard hunting rifles. I dont tyoically buy bargain brands or models because you typically get what you pay for. I have a Tikka T3 Stainless Superlight and it cost me $620 at Sportsmans Whorehouse in Portland.

Any thing Savage is going to drive tacks!!! My 110 Heavy will shoot better then most shooters who know how to! For a Light packing rough country rifle, Not much better then a Tikka T-3!!!
A Winchester featherweight or Shadow would also work very well, and the Ruger Line are tops for many hunters, The new American line and the Hawkeye's are simply awesome from every thing I have heard and seen! I have a Hawkeye in .30/06 and it's a fav for hunting, and my Wife has a Tikka T-3 light stainless in .243 that cannot miss!!! Any of these will serve you well, it's all down to what you like, can afford, and fits your needs best!

I would like to keep the price at $700 or lower if I can. If needed I have a older savage 30-06 that I could sell. I just don't use it or shoot it.

I really wish my son was into hunting as I would just gift it to him he's just not into the outdoors. :(

The Tikka T-3 light Stainless is within budget and has THE smoothest action of any of these recommendations, It also has a SAKO barrel that are one of the best made of all, and the short bolt lift is not only faster to run, but clears a scope better! The Ruger American is almost a copy of the Tikka, and from all I have seen and heard, Would be an awesome rifle, especially at the price!!!

The Tikka T-3 light Stainless is within budget and has THE smoothest action of any of these recommendations, It also has a SAKO barrel that are one of the best made of all, and the short bolt lift is not only faster to run, but clears a scope better! The Ruger American is almost a copy of the Tikka, and from all I have seen and heard, Would be an awesome rifle, especially at the price!!!

How does your savage compare to the Tikka and Ruger?

Is there a good place to go compare them all at the same time?

Most gun shops will have the Savage and the Ruger on the shelf, but you would have to call around, or go on line to see a Tikka! Cabelas would have them all, and in all variants, Fishermans Marine would likely have all three as well! My Savage is a different kind of animal, with it's heavy weight barrel and heavy, oversized Bolt handle/knob, so it's not really a fair comparison!

Most gun shops will have the Savage and the Ruger on the shelf, but you would have to call around, or go on line to see a Tikka! Cabelas would have them all, and in all variants, Fishermans Marine would likely have all three as well! My Savage is a different kind of animal, with it's heavy weight barrel and heavy, oversized Bolt handle/knob, so it's not really a fair comparison!

Oh dang forgot about Cabelas I will be up in there neck of the woods this weekend I'll try and pop in to look at them all.

Thanks Ura-Ki:)

I have been playing around with the idea of buying a new rifle. Would really like it in .308 so I don't have to stock pile a new type of ammo.

I am looking for recommendations and thoughts from everyone that owns one, what there favorites are and where they purchased. I would be using it for hunting so I really don't want one that's really heavy but am open to anything.

Mossberg MVP® Varmint & Predator | O.F. Mossberg & Sons

I found this one on line and was a little shocked I always think of mossberg as a shotgun but then what do I know.o_O

That very gun, in .308 is on my want list. I love that it will use the same mags as my .308 AR. Seems very much to me like a more affordable Ruger Gunsite Scout. All reports I find say it's a great rifle.

That very gun, in .308 is on my want list. I love that it will use the same mags as my .308 AR. Seems very much to me like a more affordable Ruger Gunsite Scout. All reports I find say it's a great rifle.

That's exactly why I was looking at it. It has great reviews but as always I'm open to other options.

Maybe they will give us a discount if we buy two.:oops:

Heavy or light barrel? I had a Savage 111. Excellent gun. Just wasn't made for plinking. Needed a heavier or better barrel. For hunting it would have been great. After 5 repeated shots the point of impact was affected pretty bad.

The only 308 bolt gun I have shot is my Ruger Gunsite Scout. It is light, accurate as I can be at 200 yards with peep sights, points very naturally and I have not experienced any loss of accuracy with repeated shots. Mine didn't come with a rail, but xs makes a nice one and I plan to put an optic on at some point but I love shooting with iron sights so I'm in no hurry.

Heavy or light barrel? I had a Savage 111. Excellent gun. Just wasn't made for plinking. Needed a heavier or better barrel. For hunting it would have been great. After 5 repeated shots the point of impact was affected pretty bad.

I know that it will add some weight but I'm thinking that I would like to have a heavy barrel.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top