JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm going outside the box, and stepping into the "Way Back" machine!
I have a Winchester M-100, autoloader in .308. Light, handy, plenty accurate for a deer rifle. They aren't cheap, but not horribly expensive either!
Just the other end of the spectrum from monster heavy barrels! :)

Oops! I feel foolish now! Perhaps I should reread the thread title before posting! o_O

Last Edited:
I have a Mossberg MVP Patrol in 308. Put a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 and a Silencerco Harvester on it, shoots great! Light, crisp adjustable trigger, kicks like an AR and is capable of a ragged hole at 100 yards. Highly recommended!

If I were going to go out and buy one right now, it would be a Tikka T3 lite. Hard to go wrong with that rifle. You get proven accuracy and light weight and stainless to boot. What more could a guy ask for? And, no that doesn't mean I'm selling any of my pre 64 model 70's...;)

Any thing Savage is going to drive tacks!!! My 110 Heavy will shoot better then most shooters who know how to! For a Light packing rough country rifle, Not much better then a Tikka T-3!!!
A Winchester featherweight or Shadow would also work very well, and the Ruger Line are tops for many hunters, The new American line and the Hawkeye's are simply awesome from every thing I have heard and seen! I have a Hawkeye in .30/06 and it's a fav for hunting, and my Wife has a Tikka T-3 light stainless in .243 that cannot miss!!! Any of these will serve you well, it's all down to what you like, can afford, and fits your needs best!

Excellent post. That about sums it up as far as I'm concerned...

You all are absolutely killing me! All these choices now I'm really gonna have to do my research because unfortunately I can't afford them all. o_O:(

Remember, mission oriented. If you're a guy who carries his rifle in his hands and wants it to handle like a shotgun, you'll want a totally different rifle than the guy who hikes up to a ridge and stays there all day hoping to shoot accross an open space.

To tell you the truth, if you are in catagory 2, I'd be shooting something other than a 308.

Good post No Regerts. BTDT. When I was into long range shooting/hunting the cartridge of choice was a 300WSM and 7mm rem mag. Both known for long range precision and excellent on game performance. Those rifles were heavy barreled single purpose rifles. I guess it all depends on where you hunt and what hunting style you choose or what tag you draw. Trust me, where I hunt in the Deschutes canyons, some years, you need all the accuracy you can muster out of a good hunting rifle. I'm still thinking a Tikka T3 would even suffice in this scenario and location. I wish my photobucket was working. I'd post some pics for some of you guys that haven't hunted the canyons in the Deschutes...

I went to cabelas yesterday to just look at some of the options you guys were talking about. I also held a really nice savage that was a .338 lapua and a Savage 30-06. Which none of these made my decision any easier. :confused:

I really like the idea of only having one caliber but I may have to work towards owning a couple of these options.

Guess its time for a second job so I can still retire by the time I'm still young enough to walk LOL:D

Ive hunted in those types of canyons and I was using a 7mm RM with much heavier, slicker bullets than most people would think to use on deer. Many would think 140gr bullets at 3150 would be fine rather than 160s at 2950....until they tried it in the wind. This wasn't a heavy barreled rifle, but it was a solid 8 3/4 pounds with a 26 inch barrel and it lived in the scabbard on my pack.

I dont see any reason to carry any more weight in a gun unless you shoot out past 400 yards as a rule. Under 400 yards and you'd be best served by something handy and simple. Dare I say.......a fixed 4x or 6x scope is all you really need?

Normally I would agree with the 7 mm as the Be all, end all for all North American game! It excels in pretty much every conceivable situation you could find your self in! But, I prefer the range of bullet weight available in the .30's!!!

Just looked it up on line. Dang that thing looks sweat!!
There are a ton of articles about long range shooting and hunting with them.
I am seriously considering replacing a few rifles, and that one really looks like it would excel in that role for me! Now I just have to save my pennies for it and a good piece of glass! LOL

stick with the 30's (.308/30-06) unless you got deep wallets and access to ranges in excess of 1200m stay away from the 338LM. you are just wasting ammo up to those ranges. anything 6.5 or 6mm and some 30s can get you there (1200m)for a fraction of the cost.
as you and others have pointed out your goal is hunting. Hunting is not long range shooting and long range shooting is not long range hunting.
howa has an awesome action one of the smoothest I have ever held, but not as smooth as the old CZ 550 varmint. But the triggers on the 550 are like breaking fine glass rods when adjusted correctly.
since you obviously like savages the Old Savage 10 scout with a Vortex PST 1-4x would probably be exactly what you are looking for.

Maybe I should just put some money into my savage 30-06 add a good optic and just use that. It is an older one but still in good working order. I just had it blued and in the process I decided to refinish the stock that was beat to heck.

Maybe a trigger job is in order:rolleyes:

I was kind a wonderin why you would get rid of a perfectly good Savage aught 6, but didn't wanna try stoppin a fellow junkey from gettin his next fix! :D A good trigger job might just be the ticket to renew a fine older rifle!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top