JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It would be nice if some local agency could give you a place to get ride of the stuff
Amen brother, it would be nice but I understand the crux of having public use dumpsters - too many lazy bubblegumholes are willing to take advantage. I mean, it's not uncommon to find couches, tv's, matresses and all manner of filth on public lands in the high desert where I live.
I just can't comprehend how pathetic these people's lack of pride is.

Good on you @Mikej for helping maintain our lands!

It would be nice if some local agency could give you a place to get ride of the stuff. Here in PDX my household is limited to one 20gal can every TWO WEEKS for our house hold trash, and don't have the luxury of burning a pile of anything outside. That pretty much limits me when I go out to a couple of small bags of shotgun shells. And I can put plastic bottles and small metal in my recycle bins.
Not sure if you are picking up from BLM or Forrest Service land but the offices down here have been extremely wonderful. It took a bit of explaining the first time but now they just say Thank You and head on back. You might want to give them a call. Great job by the way.

Not sure if you are picking up from BLM or Forrest Service land but the offices down here have been extremely wonderful. It took a bit of explaining the first time but now they just say Thank You and head on back. You might want to give them a call. Great job by the way.

We just don't get out there that much on our own. I go to the clean-ups 2-3 times a year,and glad to have the opportunity. It's much more satisfying to be out the with a couple dozen people and all the support. Always a good time. And, a lot more gets done than what I could carry out in our CR-v.

Sorry now we didn't take pictures of the four plus bags we hauled out from a quarry on Harlan Rd below Mary's Peak yesterday. I enjoyed meeting Rem700..300 though and glad we could save him some work today.
big thanks to the forest patrol deputy for letting us take the trash to the county shop for disposal at the end of his shift.
going to have to message Rem700..300 the next time we're up that way, maybe save him another trip

nw firearms 1.jpg nw firearms 2.jpg

It was great to meet you post18guy. We were up elk hunting so I didn't waste a trip. We had a great time even though we weren't successful. What you guys were doing looked fun. Got to try out the new(used) 1911 on Sunday afternoon. Just as accurate as the other one. Actually was hitting a shotgun shell hull at 20 yards about 60 percent of the time with the other shots being close. Thanks again for helping with the trash pick up!

Pulled 2 full plastic grocery bags from that first spot you come to on NF-45 today. Also picked-up about 200 9mm brass casings if anyone wants them (I'm in Oak Grove).
I don't need a membership, just doing my part.

20171120_154044.jpg Screenshot_2017-11-20-14-02-32.png

Went to my local range George W. Nourse Public Shooting Range this morning. It looked better than it did on Thansgiving hangover Monday last year but still quite a bit of trash left behind. The brass hounds had already gone through but none could be bothered to use the 20 or so trash dumpsters out there.
20171127_095746.jpg
20171127_103959.jpg
I chose one of the empty lanes and filled 3 hefty bags along with one of the dumpsters and piled up the wood and cardboard for the garbage truck that comes through. The dumpster was about half full when I got there. I didn't bother with clays or pumpkin guts and had to overlook the shot shells, although I probably could have filled 5 more bags had I brought a rake.
20171127_103205.jpg
20171127_103623.jpg
Misspelled Nourse^^^:oops:. I left my bay looking pretty good but the other 8 could use work. They have regular work crews that come through that appear to be either serving community service hours or work release.
20171127_103315.jpg
It was a beautiful morning out there.
20171127_103630.jpg

Went to my local range George W. Nourse Public Shooting Range this morning. It looked better than it did on Thansgiving hangover Monday last year but still quite a bit of trash left behind. The brass hounds had already gone through but none could be bothered to use the 20 or so trash dumpsters out there.
View attachment 408584
View attachment 408586
I chose one of the empty lanes and filled 3 hefty bags along with one of the dumpsters and piled up the wood and cardboard for the garbage truck that comes through. The dumpster was about half full when I got there. I didn't bother with clays or pumpkin guts and had to overlook the shot shells, although I probably could have filled 5 more bags had I brought a rake.
View attachment 408587
View attachment 408588
Misspelled Nourse^^^:oops:. I left my bay looking pretty good but the other 8 could use work. They have regular work crews that come through that appear to be either serving community service hours or work release.
View attachment 408589
It was a beautiful morning out there.
View attachment 408590

Great work! Enjoy the Bronze :)

Great idea here! I've always brought along a few trash bags and take out more than I take in. I can only work about one bag per week into my normal trash, so unfortunately what I pick up is never a lot, but if everyone did so things would be much better.

When shooting, I have the bag out and open and offer it to others if they are there. They either toss their stuff into my bag or take their own items with them. I figure they otherwise may have left their stuff behind. I hope that it puts into their minds that stewardship of the land is something they should consider.

Great idea here! I've always brought along a few trash bags and take out more than I take in. I can only work about one bag per week into my normal trash, so unfortunately what I pick up is never a lot, but if everyone did so things would be much better.

When shooting, I have the bag out and open and offer it to others if they are there. They either toss their stuff into my bag or take their own items with them. I figure they otherwise may have left their stuff behind. I hope that it puts into their minds that stewardship of the land is something they should consider.

Not too strict with the program ;)

Send me three photos of three bags over a period of time and that works too.

Not a big haul this time. Went and set up the game cameras up Camp Morrison road outside of Scio. Was just going for a nice drive to look for some new hunting spots for next fall with the wife. Found some neat spots. Went by a couple of landings and well the trash bags started calling to us from the back seat. It was beautiful out. Only a couple of cars and no one shooting which surprised me a lot. Found a great mud hole. I was too scared to try it with only 30 inch tires and no tow rig or winch. Only a few more T.V.'s and I can open my own shop.

Camp Morrison garbage1.jpg camp morrison garbage.jpg Big rock CM.jpg Mary's Peak from CM.jpg CM Mud Hole.jpg

Has anyone come up with a good way to clean up shotgun shells. I've tried a rake and tried burning them down to an ash and cleaning up the remains. The people that shoot shotguns have become the worst polluters.

honestly they are the easiest to reload, I bet some people on here would love to have them... I collect them all when I shoot including brass casings and either give them away or have someone reload them...

honestly they are the easiest to reload, I bet some people on here would love to have them... I collect them all when I shoot including brass casings and either give them away or have someone reload them...

Where I shoot the shotgun shells are littered by the hundreds. I have gone down there and raked up a few hundred and a week later there are more than I can count. No one will take them so they just lay there. The brass is quickly taken for drinking money by an old creepy alcoholic driving a chevy pickup most of the time but he won't touch the shotgun shells. People will shoot up old toilets and appliances and what looked like a really expensive marble table once. The toilet was busted into parts no bigger than your fist. It's also used by dirt bikers and not all the trash is shooters but we seem to be a significant part of it.

wow that is a lot to try to keep up with... im sorry to hear that... I remember a few climbing spots that are now shut down for the same reasons...

Has anyone come up with a good way to clean up shotgun shells. I've tried a rake and tried burning them down to an ash and cleaning up the remains. The people that shoot shotguns have become the worst polluters.

A lot of the shot shells have a steel base. We've used those magnet picker-uppers from Harbor Freight. They don't get the aluminum based hulls though. Get a couple of kids and give em' a penny a piece. It easier for them, they're closer to the ground. :p

I have a magnet epoxied to the end of a stick I use for picking up steel cases and nails from burned out couches. I didn't think that shotgun shells had any steel in them but I will try that. Some people take old furniture up and burn it for heat and the nails are left along with pallets that leave the same thing. Right in the driving area no less. It seems there is no limit to the level stupidity that people will sink to.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top