JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I cruised by Salmonberry today and am sadly disappointed by the trash and tree vandalism at the second pit. When I drove in there was someone there using this spot I kept going to my spot but upon return the second pit was not being used but what an eyesore of trash 2 targets left behind. I carry a trash bag now so I decided to stop and clean the place up but when I pulled in I noticed one of the targets was placed on a live tree and another tree was shot up enough to lean over. Both are dead now and both will eventually fall.

side note, roughly a year ago another tree was shot up then I think it was about Feb this year I drove by some good folk were clearing that tree out to prevent it from falling or maybe it fell... I think its the stump now center of the berm. How many more trees have to be shot down illegally and give us all a bad name?

here is the before picture. One target nailed to tree, both left behind. Apparently they also brought a case of bottled water and shot those... and left them. I found one bottle with a bullet hole partially full of water seal unbroken, so they must have been using them full for a reactive effect.... but they just left them. Still illegal either way. All the other trash is a mix of cans (illegal), plastic (illegal) and glass bottles (illegal) and clay pigeons. I collected 8 unused clays, thats a lot for such a small short range shooting spot! I didn't have time to pick up all the fresh spent casings.

Folks, if this is you... its a privilege to shoot on public lands and this is exactly what gets that privilege taken away. Its illegal to shoot trees.
?temp_hash=c3cd02ba2ab5896d55186d5583b49dd0.jpg

this is what it looks like after:

here are some close ups of the shot up trees.

Last edited by a moderator:
Disgusting!
I really wish I could catch those low lifes in the act and explain exactly what they're doing not only to our public shooting area but our ability to even shoot there!

I dont know if its ignorance or willful vandalism.

Seriously? I was in that exact spot 2 weeks ago with my daughter (her first time out). I pointed out to her that only a$$holes shoot up trees like that. I don't think that one in the 3rd pic was shot up that bad either. We picked up about a grocery bag full of shotgun shells along with all the brass we could find. But here's the crazy part -- We picked up a full case worth of shot up water bottles.
Someone is making a habit of messing up that spot in the same repetitive manner. A trail cam might catch a plate number.
D!cks.

nailing a target on the tree put me over the top to post this here, hopefully the person(s) might see this thread and learn. Wish there was a way to get shooters to visit this website. Salmonberry has a nice new sign at the hwy 26 entrance maybe a spot on it for a target shooting laws handout with NWFA website on it for more info. IDK, sad that people have to destroy and trash the place and be told its wrong in the first place.

Ya that is crap. I hate seeing a trashed out shooting spot. It will cost us all in the long run. A trailcam would definitely do some good and pay for itself if the bad apples were prosecuted, fined, and forced to do 100 hours of community service cleaning up forest lands.

Some of your fellow NWFA members took the field again in support of our right to shoot on public lands.

Thanks to rangerlars, Kd7vdb, Bobby Sue and Austin Candela for joining me today.

Volunteers regularly set up a Target Shooters Information Booth in nearby locations to provide direct contact with the public, using displays and free information packages.

The Clackamas River area of the Mt. Hood NF along hwy 224 was the site again today.

Heavy smoke from wild fires kept recreational traffic far below normal, but quite a few people stopped to talk and get information.

Packages of information were given out that include rules, regulations and ethics. Included are maps showing good places to shoot and notices of closed areas, along with free targets, trash bags and gallons of water for fire prevention.

For over a year now, on as many weekends as the roster of available people allow,
NWFA has been developing this public outreach with increasing interest and support.

Won't you please consider donating a Saturday to help staff the booth?
The project needs and welcomes folks who can join in.

If you are unable to commit valuable weekend time to the effort, other areas of support can be helpful too.

This is a low budget:eek:(no budget!) grass roots type of direct approach, and all ideas to provide for printing, or other material expenses are welcome. :D

Please contact NWFA volunteer coordinator @Cogs in support of the effort.:rolleyes:

Thanks, Ed

Ive been lurking on the volunteer forum but Im a westside shooter, from what I know Salmonberry is every bit as popular and the usual spots are full every weekend has the volunteer program considered a booth at the entrance to Salmonberry?

... has the volunteer program considered a booth at the entrance to Salmonberry?

Yes we have. We just need enough volunteers willing to man the booth and get it going. We could easily assemble the equipment and brochures needed, pop up the booth and start working the forest over there. Just need two people per weekend. We started the Mt Hood one with only 1 booth a month. Then got to about 2 per month. Now that we're getting more volunteers, we're getting close to every weekend! I think we even have a couple, in the group, who are more interested in the West side booth plan.

Our goal for this program is to spread it around to as many forests and areas as we can and make it well known that trash and resource damage is not acceptable and that gun owners are doing something about it. The more people who hear about it, the more some people will think twice about what they do.

Sometimes you get a certain feeling about someone when you first talk to them. You can sense they are the kind who hasn't really thought about what they are doing and that their activities may result in negative or damaging consequences. These are the best ones to talk to because, when your done, you can tell they gave it some thought and now have a better understanding of the reasons for proper conduct in the woods. We often talk with many of these types. They are not bad, just never really thought about it. We're not there to rag on them, we're there to help them and encourage them to help us save recreational sport shooting.

Thanks, Koda!

Sometimes you get a certain feeling about someone when you first talk to them. You can sense they are the kind who hasn't really thought about what they are doing and that their activities may result in negative or damaging consequences. These are the best ones to talk to because, when your done, you can tell they gave it some thought and now have a better understanding of the reasons for proper conduct in the woods. We often talk with many of these types. They are not bad, just never really thought about it. We're not there to rag on them, we're there to help them and encourage them to help us save recreational sport shooting.
well said....

I can consider a weekend, I will be honest right now my schedule is pretty full thru elk season but will keep an eye on the volunteer forum for any developments in the west-side areas like Salmonberry, consider me a candidate. In the meantime I will continue to carry a trash bag for any random times if I can get out. I appreciate what NWFA is doing to help advocate responsible shooting and gun ownership it has not gone unnoticed since I've joined the forum.

well said....

I can consider a weekend, I will be honest right now my schedule is pretty full thru elk season but will keep an eye on the volunteer forum for any developments in the west-side areas like Salmonberry, consider me a candidate. In the meantime I will continue to carry a trash bag for any random times if I can get out. I appreciate what NWFA is doing to help advocate responsible shooting and gun ownership it has not gone unnoticed since I've joined the forum.
How 'bout I invite you to join our private conversation group, TSIP Booth Leaders Group? You can read up on our previous chats, and get caught up to date on where we're at now. It may help to plan the opening of a booth in that area. Wouldn't expect you to join in on the Mt Hood program, however you could just to get a feel for how we do it, and you could throw in a couple cents worth of advice when ever you can.

Like you, I'm not available much because of Salmon and Hunting season now happening. We'll chip away a little at a time. Can't do it all at once!

sounds good, thank you for inviting me to the group I'll take a look and chime in where I can. I think it would be great to eventually get a booth up at Salmonberry even if its later than never, the are gets a surprising amount of use even in the rainy winter weather.

to all:

feel free to share this thread (weblink) with anyone, I posted this to mainly show how the trees are being shot up... trash is one thing but shot up trees really stand out to non-gunners and "fence sitters" many who recreate outdoors and are increasing in numbers in this area as plans are underway to turn the Salmonberry railroad into trail and many people are already hiking it, I know because Im one of them. The detail photos I posted really highlight the damage shooting does to trees, many inexperienced shooters don't really visualize that when they go out ill prepared without a target stand and I'm hoping that the photos can put it out there what not to do.

thanks everyone.

Ive been lurking on the volunteer forum but Im a westside shooter, from what I know Salmonberry is every bit as popular and the usual spots are full every weekend has the volunteer program considered a booth at the entrance to Salmonberry?
Thanks for your contributions Koda, much appreciated.
Other locations are often discussed.

In theory, as the number of people willing to engage in this increases, so can the number of booth setups.

Coordinator Cogs has expressed his goal to expand the program as material contributions and volunteerism increase.
The ideal being region wide information coverage, combined with organized cleanups.

Right now, the TSIP program is jointly presented by NWFA and the USFS, is focused on the Mt. Hood NF, and consists of one 8' canopy and a 6' table for display plus a large US flag, some banners and signs.

These were provided by the USFS, (which has a very small budget for this) along with other informational material. Other equipment for storage and display comes from NWFA directly - or from contributions by volunteers and others.

If the Salmonberry or other sites are on State forest land then ODF could be a valuable partner, if someone would be willing to make contact and help coordinate a set up with them at any locations needed.

It could be patterned after the USFS information - just need to have documents and maps pertinent to jurisdictions and locations.

BLM has very clear and concise expectations for recreational target shooters that mirror the USFS regulations too.
I'm not familiar with all the ODF protocols, but imagine them to be similar.

Speaking strictly as a volunteer worker without authority, I feel that by contacting the right people for assistance within organizations, and presenting the NWFA mission, success in other locations can be achieved. This is based on my experience of approaching a growing group merchants, who now support the effort in a number of ways.

Cogs is the best person to be in touch with for details about this right now.
He's given it a lot of thought and effort, and made some important contacts.
I'll bet he'd share knowledge and information with anyone ready to start another booth.

All the best wishes to you, and anyone else who is willing to get this going in your own areas.
Believe me, based on personal contacts made over several months in different locations nearby, people really like what's being done and want to see this happening more often in other sites - just like you do.
Thanks!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads