JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not a big haul this time. Went and set up the game cameras up Camp Morrison road outside of Scio. Was just going for a nice drive to look for some new hunting spots for next fall with the wife. Found some neat spots. Went by a couple of landings and well the trash bags started calling to us from the back seat. It was beautiful out. Only a couple of cars and no one shooting which surprised me a lot. Found a great mud hole. I was too scared to try it with only 30 inch tires and no tow rig or winch. Only a few more T.V.'s and I can open my own shop.

View attachment 421249 View attachment 421248 View attachment 421247 View attachment 421252 View attachment 421250
Great Job! Not to hard to clean up. We are losing ground in places to practice. Wish these tards would clean up, even the shells. how hard is it, seriously. I only shoot a .380 and I pick up my shells all the time. You'd think the shotgun shells would be much easier (being sarcastic).

i picked up a bag of shotgun shells last weekend as well at a random camp, but i also found some rusted up wire mesh and a ton of wavy wire that looked a lot like a sos pad when you balled it up, It was all over the camp. Any idea what it is? I can't figure why anyone would haul it way out there.
20180512_120848.jpg

Looks like a really bad crack cocaine habit.

I'm always amazed by how lazy people can be-shotgun hulls are so dang easy to identify and pick up.

Thanks for being a good steward!

i picked up a bag of shotgun shells last weekend as well at a random camp, but i also found some rusted up wire mesh and a ton of wavy wire that looked a lot like a sos pad when you balled it up, It was all over the camp. Any idea what it is? I can't figure why anyone would haul it way out there.
View attachment 460096
My guess is an old grow camp for a pot-op. I can only assume that's why it wasn't scrapped...

View attachment 460096

I don't know what the coarse wire is from but all that fine stuff looks like what's left when steel belted radials are burned. Not so good for the atmosphere, but you can recycle it without pay to dump a tire.

I found out that shotgun shells have enough steel in the head to be picked up with a magnet. Hmmmm I figure they did that on purpose just for that reason. It works really well. I haven't found any shotgun shells that it won't pick up so far. Does anyone know if that was a federal law or something.

I find it sad to think that someone would burn a tire to salvage what little steel is in it and pollute the air as much as it does just to save the 2 dollars they charge to take it to a tire dealer.

Back up at NF-45 today and packed out another bag of trash. They're filling-in the first location with dirt and filling up the second location with wood slag. Still had fun though! Started by putting the shotgun shells in piles then picking them up from there.
Google Maps"N+122°14'50.0"W
sat.png IMG-0919 - Copy.JPG IMG-0929 - Copy.JPG

I always forget to photo my trash pick ups, but it's not a big deal. I only bring out a small bag that I can fit into my weekly trash and anything that easily goes into the recycling bin. So the impact is minimal, but I hope folks seeing this do the same.

Today I went to the gravel pit near Larch Corrections (L 1500 road) and was met with a pile of trash on the road side of the entry barrier. I pulled what I could out of the pile. If anybody is going that direction with a pickup it would be an easy load as the trash is right next to the road. I just throw this up here as an FYI hoping that somebody may be heading that way in the next little while and could help make a dent in this pile.

I did pick up the remains of about three laptop computers that had been pretty shot up. Plastic and electronic board splinters all over the place. It looked almost as bad as littered shot gun shells.

Anyway … here's a photo of the pile that is ready for hauling if someone has the means.

Thanks all!

20180713_101635.jpg 20180713_101641.jpg

Typically, the Dept of Ecology goes up with the kids and cleans up some sites every so often (when they run out of highways to clean). They don't haul them away but just stack them next to the road. The inmate crews are supposed to come by and pick them up, however, they are not on a regular basis and DOE doesn't communicate to them when they made their rounds. So, those trash bags sit there for weeks and weeks. Meanwhile, some people sift through them looking for ??? who knows, brass?... more milk jugs to shoot? extra used needles? And we end up with a mess like this.

I'm going up tomorrow, however, on the other side of the valley, and I'll try to swing by the Arrowhead pit as I check conditions of shooting sites on that side of the Mtn. I'll take some extra bags and try to get them back in order. I'll call the corrections facility to let them know they are ready for pick up.

I'm the same way, I can only handle an extra 40 gal bag in the trash at home.

I'm planning a cleanup somewhere up there in August. Will post it when ready to announce.

Thanks, @DLS . We all appreciate the effort and report! It all helps!

Bill

Bill,

I wonder If you could talk to Larch Corrections about providing a dumpster to handle trash pulled out by folks like me. Since the inmates do collections, they have to have a place to put the trash they pick up. If we could use their dumpster by providing some form of ID, such as a membership list from here … or something else …

If that can happen I'd pack up three or four 40 gal bags each trip up. It's only a few minutes out of the way to drive over to the honor camp to dump the bags. Just a thought, and may be far too heavy logistically to make sense, but it never hurts to throw out the idea.

Last Edited:
Now you're thinkin! I was trying to get that same thing going with DNR to use the Corrections dumpster. I delivered there once, guided by the Warden, (no, not as a mate!), and had to unload/lock up the handgun and case/cover all rifles before entering (he really didn't even like any of the guns in the vehicle while on property).

That's when I tried to suggest placing a dumpster outside the gate in the parking lot. We could then access it without asking to enter. No one from town would be willing to dump trash there as it would be right in front of the facility. If we had a lock on it, only certain shooters who signed an agreement would have the combo. Part of the problem is, that parking lot gets full during visiting hours and they need the space.

I'd like to find a simple way to do the dumpster in the woods idea. Keep thinking about it and we might come up with a good way to make it work.

One dumpster does not need to take much space, and could be signed in such a way that parking in front of it is okay other then "exception" days. There would probably be an idiot still parking on the closed days making emptying the dumpster a problem.

The ideal situation would be to have a dumpster right at the shooting grounds, but how long before it was full of holes is anybody's guess. The same goes for signs that would ask folks to do things like not shoot glass and to take out what they bring in. It only takes a few knuckle heads to mess up otherwise very good things.

I'll watch for the August cleanup in this area and will do my best to be part of the efforts.

I see the same thing running out to the Molalla Rifle Club. The range is on BLM land near Colton. There is a big metal gate (picture below) that MRC members and the logging company have the combo for (club members have to drive 4-5 miles through the logging area to get to our ranges). Outside of the gate, people shoot the gate, leave their trash.

We came one time, and there was a blackened area on the ground. I finally figured out that it was the spot where someone had torched a car and then someone had towed it away. There were still pools of aluminum and the wire braids from where the radial tires and rims had melted. We were lucky it was in the winter and it didn't start a forest fire.

Ron
20161117_143137.jpg

Some friends and I used to shoot pistols and AR's up at Anderson creek near Griffin Creek. For a few years I went shooting up there. Quite a few turn offs and a few different areas to shoot. However on the main road I have literally seen around 6 mattresses & box springs, kids playsets on the side of the mountain, and TRAILOR LOADS of trash just dumped on the side of the road. That includes couches, chairs, dressers, household trash that had been ripped open (hoping not by animals...) exposing dirty diapers, and many hazardous items.. also I saw at least 2 dozen PAINT CANS, some knocked over with paint seeping into the soil etc. I was furious when I saw all the trash. And I've been up there numerous times seeing new trash. In one sense I want to help clean up, in another sense I don't want to clean up after people so disrespectful that even if I did clean it, they will likely come back and dump trash all over the area again. I have a feeling it may be some sort of cleanup crew that pockets their dump funds and ditches the trash in the woods to save $.

If I had cameras and BLM permission, I would place hidden cams in these spots to find out who is doing it.

Any thoughts?

I know I'm still kinda new here but what is the reason to not have a public county dump? I couldn't believe I had to pay 200 bucks to dump a pickup load of trash (broken pallets and some old cubbards/left over construction stuff and a old matress) from my house when I bought it. No paint, no oil just basic trash. In Tennessee it was free, in Montana it was free, in Nevada it was free, heck it was even free in California as long as you had a driver's license from that county.
I honestly think folks drive out to dump big things half the time because it costs to take your trash to the dump.

$200?:confused:

I think the landfill near me charges $14.50/ton.

Oregon probably has extremely oppressive regulations pertaining to solid waste, would be my guess.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top