JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone here have feedback on .22LR AR recommendations? I'm going to get my boys started on rifles, and really want something with an adjustable length stock. The M&P 15-22 sounds like a decent option, but also recently heard about the Tippmann M4-22. Learning the AR manual of arms would be a nice side benefit.

Already have a 10-22, but like I said above, want a collapsible stock of some kind so it fits shooters of all statures.

CMMG Banshee upper in 22lr or a Tippmann M4-22 would be my recommendation.

I have a TacSol dedicated upper which has run like a sewing machine, the CMMG which has been great and am eyeing the Tippman now as I have heard nothing but great things about them. Upside to the Tippmann is that it is a complete package. Upside to the CMMG Banshee is that you can use your standard lower you are already familiar with and setup to your liking.

I picked the CMMG Banshee upper up because of the 4.5" barrel so I could run high velocity cheaper ammo at sub sonic speeds since this upper gets ran suppressed 100% of the time. Love this upper so much that it got its own dedicated SBR lower.

I would buy the Banshee upper again but not the TacSol. Nothing against the TacSol but it just doesn't suit my shooting needs any longer. It has been 100% reliable and is very accurate. I have a nephew who is getting old enough that I will likely gift the TacSol to as he will appreciate it much more than I.

Pretty tough to find M&P 15-22 magazines right now, but they are good plinkers with a couple issues needing addressed to be 💯

I have two different dedicated ar uppers. One was a factory cmmg complete upper and the other I built around a cmmg barrel. Both run great and are quite accurate. Took a bit of tweaking to get first upper to run but she runs great now.

Don't think you can go wrong with the M&P or the Tippman. The Tippman is better built (alloy instead of polymer), tons of great reviews.

Indeed the M&P mags are super hard to find at the moment.

I have a purpose built 22 upper, also runs great. CMMG bolt, Beyer barrels barrel. A BetterMag adapter to let me use M&P mags gets last round bolt hold open.

S&W M&P 15-22 is a good choice. However, it is a little lighter than most ARs due to the materials used in its build - although this may be a plus for some younger shooters. Also, be aware than you can't use it in Appleseed due to past issues with some rifles.

My favorite is a dedicated PSA 22 upper on one of my extra complete AR lowers. I use the Boonie Packer better mag adapter insert to be able to use the S&W M&P 15-22 mags that I already have.

This also allows for last round hold open. This set up is most similar to my .556 ARs.

The dedicated option also has the correct barrel twist as opposed to a 22 cal conversion.

Good luck with your selection OP...

Last Edited:
Dang, I bought a ton when they were $9.99…JoeBob done treated me gooder back then
I remember getting them for $12.99/$13.99
on sale back in the day. I'm good on them too, but picked up the FDE's and the black one's a few weeks ago before they sold out.

Yes, JoeBob's still rocks, but been treated gooder back then too! 🤣

+

Stock and grip of choice.

Anyone here have feedback on .22LR AR recommendations? I'm going to get my boys started on rifles, and really want something with an adjustable length stock. The M&P 15-22 sounds like a decent option, but also recently heard about the Tippmann M4-22. Learning the AR manual of arms would be a nice side benefit.

Already have a 10-22, but like I said above, want a collapsible stock of some kind so it fits shooters of all statures.
The S&W M&P 15-22 is a great way to start out smaller kids. The adjustable butt stock and lightweight polymer lower make them easy for anyone to handle. Accurate enough for plinking fun, try to find some short 10 round magazines if you plan to shoot from a bench or prone. Make sure you have lots of ammo, 25 round magazines + young shooters = really fun Mag dumps. I recall a friend's 13 year old unleashing a full magazine at a half dozen ground squirrels at about 40 yards. There were two down once the dust settled, but the grin on his face was priceless.

If you already have an AR, an adapted costs like $180. My buddy has one and it runs awesome and is plentyaccurate.. he's got like 5 mags and the loader.

The S&W M&P 15-22 is a great way to start out smaller kids. The adjustable butt stock and lightweight polymer lower make them easy for anyone to handle. Accurate enough for plinking fun, try to find some short 10 round magazines if you plan to shoot from a bench or prone. Make sure you have lots of ammo, 25 round magazines + young shooters = really fun Mag dumps. I recall a friend's 13 year old unleashing a full magazine at a half dozen ground squirrels at about 40 yards. There were two down once the dust settled, but the grin on his face was priceless.
The pistol version is even better.

I didn't want to buy a child-size .22lr because I knew it would be too small when the grandkids grew up. So I got an M&P 15/22 several years ago for the light weight and adjustable stock. You can see from the picture that a 25 round magazine doesn't work well if you're shooting from a rest but I let the grandkids do a few mag dumps before we head home.
IMG_0434.jpg

Actually, when I moved them up from BB and pellet rifles to the .22lr, I made them load one bullet at a time, shoot it, take the mag out, load another round, insert mag, pull back the charge handle, etc. That was to accelerate their familiarity with the functioning of the gun and to slow down the shots so I could talk about the sight picture, trigger press, etc. Then it was 2 rounds, 5 rounds, and finally all ten.

And since the stock length is adjustable, the boys can enjoy shooting it when the grandsons switch to another firearm.
IMG_0474.jpg

I have a new in box CMMG 300 22LR Resolute 17" AR15 Upper for sale. It's complete with bcg etc.& ready to pin on your AR15 lower. Bought it for a build, but went 9 mm pistol route Instead. $600. Please message me if interested.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top