JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes. Makes no sense to me either, and I am not sure what problem UPS thinks it is solving with this policy.

I'll report back as to whether it is successfully picked up tomorrow

Wait, so they won't accept it at the facility, but will accept a package pickup?
My guess is the fear of a mass shooting if they let someone bring a gun into the facility. Paranoia runs deep in the sheeple. By seperating you from your gun you can't pull it out of the box and start blasting away.

There are several things to consider for NON FFL HOLDERS when shipping a gun!

USPS requires a 1058 Form to be handed to the clerk at the time of mailing.

That goes for a handgun or long gun.

For those who just skirt the regulations.

Hope that your gun is not damaged, lost or stolen.

Without the proper paperwork your claim will be denied every time.

Even if you have the correct paperwork the USPS has a long history of denying firearm claims.

UPS has regulations on proper container dimensions when it comes to damaged goods.

Bottom line it is getting hard for FFL and non FFL holders to ship guns.

Just as they want it to be.

So if you're going to ship any type of gun.

Pack it up for BEAR so it arrives safe.

Sadly it will bring in a new stream of income for FFL's. Since they can still just ship the cheap way. So looks like a lot of people are going to be needing one to ship just like we need one for transfers. :s0092:
Then again......perhaps those 5 Senators were trying to HELP the US Postal Service?

Yeah.....the US Postal Service is in trouble again. Receivers and guns are one thing. BUT PARTS? And, mind you that.....I'm NOT saying that it's a good or bad thing.

Aloha, Mark

After reading this thread, I decided to go on my UPS account to see if I could create a shipment for a rifle. As soon as I put the word rifle in the contents box, the site referred me to restricted items. The UPS restricted section that applies to firearms reads like this:

Shipping Firearm Products

UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) and firearm parts that do not constitute firearms as defined by federal law (together, "Firearm Products") for shipment only as a contractual service and only from Shippers who are licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code) to authorized recipients, as outlined in the approved UPS agreement for the transportation of Firearm Products.
To receive service for packages containing Firearm Products, the Shipper must enter into an approved UPS agreement for the transportation of Firearm Products.
The shipper must comply with and must ensure that each shipment containing Firearm Products complies with all federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient, and package, including, without limitation, age restrictions. All Firearm Products shipments must also conform to the terms, conditions, restrictions, and prohibitions set forth on this page at the time of shipping, in the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service and UPS Rate and Service Guide in effect at the time of shipping, and in the approved UPS Firearm Products agreement.

Prohibited Firearm Products Shipments

UPS does not accept automatic weapons, including machine guns, for shipment, either domestically or internationally.
UPS does not accept Firearm Products for shipment internationally. Replicas or simulated firearms are not accepted for shipment internationally except as a contractual service.
UPS does not accept Firearm Products for shipment domestically unless (1) such shipments are in full compliance with all federal, state, and local laws, including, without limitation, age restrictions; (2) such firearms, including any partially complete, disassembled, or nonfunctional frame or receiver (as defined by 27 CFR § 478.12), have been identified and bear a serial number in a manner that complies with federal law; and (3) such firearm parts within a package cannot be assembled to form a firearm.
Any item that meets the definition of a firearm (including firearm mufflers or silencers) or a "frame" or "receiver" under federal law (including any partially complete, disassembled, or nonfunctional frame or receiver as defined by 27 CFR § 478.12) must be identified and bear a serial number in satisfaction of the requirements for identifying such items under federal law, including 27 CFR § 478.92 and/or 27 CFR § 479.102, regardless of whether any such items are otherwise exempt from or not subject to identification requirements under applicable law. This prohibition applies even before the effective date of 27 CFR § 478.12.

Packaging and Labeling Requirements for Firearm Products

The shipper must use Adult Signature Required and Direct Delivery Only services for each package containing a firearm, including a handgun or a firearm suppressor, and affix a UPS label requesting an adult signature upon delivery.
All Firearm Products must be shipped in new corrugated packaging that meets the UPS Single Wall Box Strength Guidelines.
All Firearm Products must be packaged in accordance with UPS Packaging Guideline Specifications.
Ammunition must be shipped separately from packages that contain Firearm Products.
The labeling and outer box markings on all Firearm Product shipments must not identify the contents as containing Firearm Products. Labeling, including the shipper's and consignee's abbreviated names on the shipping label or air shipping document, must be non-descriptive.

UPS Services for Your Firearm Products Shipment

UPS Express Critical™​ Service and UPS Returns®​ Services are not available for packages containing firearms.
Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921, will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air Services, specifically:
  • UPS Next Day Air® ​Early
  • UPS Next Day Air®​
  • UPS Next Day Air Saver®​
UPS, in its sole and unlimited discretion, may require the shipper to select a UPS Next Day Air delivery service for any package containing a Firearm Product.

Getting Your Firearm Products Shipment to UPS

Firearm Products may be shipped only through a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account using various UPS pickup services.
Note: Firearm Products are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes or UPS On-Call Pickup®​, and may not be tendered to, dropped off, or picked up at locations of UPS Customer Centers, The UPS Store®​, any third party retailer, or any UPS Access Point™​ location. Firearm Products are not eligible for Delivery Change Requests (including, but not limited to, requests to reroute) or UPS My Choice®​ requests.
Packages containing handguns must be separated from other packages tendered to UPS for delivery. When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you also must verbally notify the UPS driver.
For approved Firearm Products shippers, refer to your UPS agreement for the shipment of Firearm Products, the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service - United States and the UPS Rate and Service Guide in effect at the time of shipping for more information regarding Firearm Products and ammunition shipments.

So now the USPS is the only real option other than an using an FFL. Not good ... the post office has been a dinasaur for 20 years.
The USPS won't always ship a firearm. I've never even used them except for one time shipping a kit to a builder in Florida. The receiver was stolen from the package in the Tampa USPS depot. The USPS investigators wouldn't even talk to me, even though I had all the info they needed to find who stole it.

As an update, the UPS pickup (scheduled at my home via ups.com) went off without a hitch.

I believe the new misguided policy is to avoid having firearms present (in a taped-up box no less) around UPS employees at their stores/customer centers.

As an update, the UPS pickup (scheduled at my home via ups.com) went off without a hitch.

I believe the new misguided policy is to avoid having firearms present (in a taped-up box no less) around UPS employees at their stores/customer centers.
Strange but that may be just what is going on then. If they will at least still let the rest of us ship by picking it up I guess it will still beat having to go pay an FFL to do it.

I've shipped a couple guns in for repairs over the last couple years. I was told they had to go to a UPS hub, or a scheduled pickup. The nearest hub is a long ways away, and I didn't want to pay for scheduling a pickup and wait around for it.

Instead, I called the local UPS Store and asked when their last UPS pickup was for the day, when an actual UPS driver would be there loading up. I showed up then and handed it directly to the driver behind the building as he was loading up. The driver was fine with it, said it was no problem at all.

How did you get them to pick up. I went online and tried to create a shipping label and pick up. As soon as i listed contents of package as a rifle, the process was stopped.

The gun manufacturer sent me an email with the ups label. The label was on their account, since it was being returned under their warranty policy.

I ship ammo all the time, there has been no change for me. I go to the distribution center and label the package with the black diamond. One thing to note it's cheaper to ship 2 30 pound packages (1000 9mm) than to ship one 60 Lb package (2000 9mm) to the same address.

Yep, but they didn't tell me that. I was told that I can ship up to 60 lbs of ammo at a time. No mention of the overweight fee. I had to figure that out myself.
That really sucks that they would not make it well known there were doing that and let people find out the hard way. Have to guess they had too many problems along the way with workers handling the weight. Still seems like it would be better to make it well known to people who use them a lot.

As far as I know, shipmygun.com is still a viable option as long as you're shipping to an FFL. They facilitate the shipment at a UPS Customer Center.
You may be right as a viable and maybe only economical way to ship firearms. More news as I started this thread. Now UPS requires that a customer shipping guns, FFL dealer, can use the 2-day service if they ship more 50 guns per day. How many gun dealers ship 50 or more gun per day? Not too many, so they cut out many of the dealer from 2-day shipping. Now, most dealers will have to ship the most expensive Next Day shipping. https://www.ammoland.com/2022/09/de...rs-pressure-shipping-companies/#axzz7eySzaz5X

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top