JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It seems to be limited options to ship firearms for a unlicensed person. UPS and Fed Ex only allow FFL holder to register with them to be able to ship firearms. That means, I have to pay FFL fee to ship my gun.

Federal laws still allow for unlicensed person to ship to FFL and USPS still allow shipping of long gun but can't ship handgun except with a FFL

Well crap. I thought a regular person could still ship with UPS as long as it was going to an FFL. Guess they changed that??

If so, that's really problematic because a lot of FFL's probably don't want to become shipment facilitators.

Two Ideas...

Does using ShipMyGun.com get you around UPS's requirements at all?

If not, this may be the time to secure a FFL 03, which is the collector, curio and relics license. I understand they're fairly easy to obtain but have never done it.

You can still ship from the U S Postal Service no probs, as long as its boxed up right and its going to a FFL.
BE CAREFUL here!! Only an FFL can use the USPS to ship a handgun.
As for those shipping a handgun there are options. One don't tell them its a gun. As long as what you are doing is legal not telling the common carrier is not a problem. Another is get a good working relationship with an FFL. They can use USPS priority mail. So if you have a good working relationship with them you can often find one to do it without gouging you.

As for those shipping a handgun there are options. One don't tell them its a gun.
You may want to be careful with this. The problem is if you want to insure it...which most people do. And if you lie and declare it as "mechanical parts" or something...and it goes missing...then UPS will likely find out what it really was...particularly if you file a police report. And when they find out you lied and didn't follow their rules, they probably won't pay on the claim.

You may want to be careful with this. The problem is if you want to insure it...which most people do. And if you lie and declare it as "mechanical parts" or something...and it goes missing...then UPS will likely find out what it really was...particularly if you file a police report. And when they find out you lied and didn't follow their rules, they probably won't pay on the claim.
I have often wondered about this when I do it. When we fly I long ago took to just shipping guns ahead of us and when we leave shipping them back to me. Just got to be too much crap to fly with them. I of course do insure, and do not tell them what I am shipping. So far they never got lost. Never have had to file a claim for anything so so far no clue how it works. Hopefully never find out.:D
I would of course have to report the guns lost if it ever happens. If the Police call FedEx and tell them? Not sure what they would do. When I do this I am never taking guns I would cry over if they were gone. Would be a bummer of course but, to me its worth the slim risk compared with the damn hassle of flying with them. We took to checking in nothing, using carry on so we do not even have to deal with the baggage. Certainly not a "perfect" solution but works for me. Sadly shipping guns has been a PITA for a while and it only keeps getting worse. :(

Well crap. I thought a regular person could still ship with UPS as long as it was going to an FFL. Guess they changed that??

If so, that's really problematic because a lot of FFL's probably don't want to become shipment facilitators.

Two Ideas...

Does using ShipMyGun.com get you around UPS's requirements at all?

If not, this may be the time to secure a FFL 03, which is the collector, curio and relics license. I understand they're fairly easy to obtain but have never done it.
SMG.com is still GTG! I used it 2 days ago.

An old subject here but important one. I only use UPS because its easy and they know what they are doing. Unless you are in a small town, taking a firearm into a post office can be a real s%&*T show. Fed EX can ship but they seem to have an attitude about it.
But you need to go to a UPS customer service center .... dont go to your neighborhood UPS store.
You can ship any firearm directly to a FFL, but you should make sure that the receiving FFL will accept firearms from a non-FFL private party.
Its all legal folks and its still America.

An old subject here but important one. I only use UPS because its easy and they know what they are doing. Unless you are in a small town, taking a firearm into a post office can be a real s%&*T show. Fed EX can ship but they seem to have an attitude about it.
But you need to go to a UPS customer service center .... dont go to your neighborhood UPS store.
You can ship any firearm directly to a FFL, but you should make sure that the receiving FFL will accept firearms from a non-FFL private party.
Its all legal folks and its still America.

I think UPS has changed how they do this. The link you provided leads to this:
Shipments containing Firearm Products are accepted for transportation only from shippers who are federally licensed and have an approved UPS agreement for the transportation of Firearm Products.
So looks like they will no longer let the rest of us use them any more, at least as long as you tell them you are shipping a gun. :(

Yeah. UPS customer service centers appear to be a no-go now. Supposedly a private person can still use UPS though if they schedule UPS pick-up service. Supposedly.

1662558237519.jpeg
(Posted by an NWFA member last week or so from a customer service center computer)

With their recent habit of "losing" over 40% of their firearm related shipments though, I would be scared to continue using them.

I have a handgun on order from my local gun dealer, he told me it would be at his shop later this week or first of next. I'll post up what company it was shipped thru when I get it.

I can confirm that the customer service office at the main Tualatin UPS facility would not accept a firearm today, even with a pre-printed shipping label from a firearm manufacturer for a warranty return. I was told the new policy was effective only within the last week. I was also told to schedule a UPS pickup via ups.com.

It is pretty evident to me that the winds of change are blowing against the tradition and practices of legal and responsible gun ownership.

I can confirm that the customer service office at the main Tualatin UPS facility would not accept a firearm today, even with a pre-printed shipping label from a firearm manufacturer for a warranty return. I was told the new policy was effective only within the last week. I was also told to schedule a UPS pickup via ups.com.
Wait, so they won't accept it at the facility, but will accept a package pickup?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top