JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Because they expect it when they sit down to eat, right?
Or when you come back from the bathroom in the middle of the night (either or any way).
While the victim is sleeping...
First thing when you walk in the door from work or the store...

"Alright! I got her the cigarettes and whiskey she asked for, I better check the corners so she doesn't pop out and shoot me!"
:s0114:

Unless they all wanted to die in a beautiful place, it makes little sense.

You think a spouse wouldn't be questioning their spouse walking up to them with a gun in their hand at the kitchen table? Or when you walk in the door after work? I doubt anyone would wonder why you had a gun at a shooting area.

What scares me is the thought that someone wanted their firearms and killed for them. I hope the police follow up on the investigation so we know. I won't enjoy shooting in the woods up there with my son until I know more.

Holy moly this is scary. Looks like it is almost due east of Estaca. This article says gravel pit was on rd 4615 off of spur 130. I found road 4615 on google maps but can't find spur 130. I see what looks like 4-5 gravel pits in that area. Looks extremely remote up there. Hope they find who ever did this and string them up! Be careful out there everybody.

F88FC96F-6E56-4BF2-8764-549C3C946AB0.png
C3DBD335-9BA6-4268-B8E9-12B4E0500263.png

807DB3AE-948F-41D3-9477-88045A10D36D.png

You think a spouse wouldn't be questioning their spouse walking up to them with a gun in their hand at the kitchen table? Or when you walk in the door after work? I doubt anyone would wonder why you had a gun at a shooting area.
Yeah, cause dead eye spouse wants to drive up in the middle of nowhere to go "shooting" and victim thinks that's normal?
I guess there are all types.

Also, I'm not constantly checking to see if my spouse is about to shoot me and only let my guard down at the range... seriously?

I have been downrange at Browns Camp several times, when shooting started. Others at the firing line started yelling at the shooter instantly, However,
I never go downrange anymore, anyplace without an AR strapped over my shoulder.

Also, a fer years back - I was driving in the Mt Hood area on the back side of Memaloose road, when rounds started landing all around my jeep. I knew where the shots were coming from, and just assumed it was idiots shooting with no backstop. But more recently it has occurred that perhaps they were shooting at my vehicle just for kicks, scary thought!

In the woods, not everyone is a friend.I know that is a negative vibe. But magical thinking can get you killed.

Lets wait until there are some specifics with this and not jump to conclusions.
I too shoot remotely (very close to home) and am always 'vigilant' but never paranoid.

Same here for us.

We shoot in the boonies and we shoot at our range. Both places are close to our home.

Cate

#update on suspicious deaths in Mt Hood Nat'l Forest - victims identified as 42yo Stacy Rickerd and 43yo Jeremy Merchant, both from Estacada. Their bodies were located in the vicinity of a shooting pit. They died from homicidal violence. @ClackCoSheriff seeking tips from public

I wonder what was found by the bodies other than the dog?

Cate

There was a case exactly like this back in the '70s. A man was target shooting at a site on Larch Mountain when two teenagers drove by, saw he was alone, and shot him from a distance, "just to see what it was like." There was no interaction, and the man had no chance to protect himself.

I have heard of cases like this in other states too.

Some of them were many years ago and some of them were not too long ago.

Cate

Saw this as well in an online Oregonian report:
Detectives are seeking tips — and following up on existing ones — in efforts to identify a suspect or suspects, Mendoza said. There's no known danger to the public.
It would seem to me IF it were in fact a homicide, with suspects still on the loose, the authorities would not try to assure the public there is no danger or to not be worried.
But then there is this:
Mendoza told KOIN 6 News there is no suspect at this time but it is correct to say that whoever killed Rickerd and Merchant remains at large.
Who knows?

There have been local and across the state of Montana news stories (Not just in other states.) where some really bad STUFF happened and the news said that the police said that the public should not be concerned or there is NO danger to the public when there really was a clear and present danger.

This happened locally too. I am not going to put it up here since it is too long to write but MY husband spoke to a detective and other police about some incidents in the past. I did too. So did some other people close to us.

Then days or weeks go by or even MONTHS and you will hear more of an official story. Plus all of a sudden, you will hear a BOLO report or a missing person's report or some other thing that catches your attention where you ALREADY REPORTED SOMETHING, see something/say something, and it turns out that you were right but NO ONE PAID any attention to what was going on or YOUR absolute detailed saw/heard report was NOT followed up on.

Anyway, dung can happen in a college town, in a small village and out in the boonies.

One of these days, my husband and I will have to chat with you, old friend.

Take care.

Cate

If I was an attractive female I wouldn't go out shooting in the woods alone. Or hiking alone in the woods either sadly. At least when hiking nobody hears your activity from a mile and comes to snoop. Good reason to shoot using suppressors.

Disclaimer: I do not own a suppressor and my husband does not either.

I did this back east and out here. I moved out west when I was 51 years old after my late husband died. I have seen/heard some VERY strange things while I hiked, camped and stayed in a very remote cabin but I would still do it all over again. I have seen and heard some VERY NICE things too.

I traveled alone a lot when I was younger and in ANTI gun states.

Boonies/Great Lakes region to the East Coast.

Up and down the EC.

Sometimes, I could take my late German Shepherd female dog with me. She was very well trained, from good stock and so forth. I could not always take my GS dog with me when I traveled alone and long distance.

I shot on BLM land in CO too. A few people were there. I knew one person and the others were complete strangers at one shooting event alone.

I no longer drive @ 69 years old but I would still shoot alone or be alone out in the woods and I would be armed.
That would be if I was dropped off by my MT husband or a friend. Most likely though my MT husband would not want me to be alone and he is retired now but I would not be afraid to do this.

My MT husband is old too. He shoots alone. I go with him sometimes too. Sometimes he has a friend go with him. Remote or at our range.

We have always gone to really OFF THE BEATEN PATH PLACES - super remote alone or together.

The thing is to be aware of your surroundings but poop can happen to you even if you are AWARE of your surroundings AND it can happen to you NO matter where you are. So it is not always city versus small village versus suburbs versus wilderness/woods.

When some of my friends came out to visit me, they were really concerned when they actually saw where I lived and traveled since it was so REMOTE and that I did this alone and I mean alone. Old friends - men and women.

I was concerned over the grizzly bears and a bit over some mountain lions not so much over the black bears and other animals. But I did SEE some nice people and some that gave me that uneasy feeling where you use your discernment over things and you make yourself KNOWN to the other man or two men and they KNOW that you are armed with a handgun (I used to pack a side arm.) and/or a rifle. I carry a rifle now in my hand or on a sling.
I always carried a firearm when I hiked alone in the woods/wilderness since I was a woman all alone and NEW TO SOME PARTS OF MONTANA. I don't let FEAR overcome my life but I do believe that you have GOOD and BAD PEOPLE out there and in ANY PART OF ANY STATE in this country!

Now, I use a cane on and off. I have it with me just in case I might need it but that would NOT stop me from going to remote places or any other place alone or with my MT born/raised husband.

I have a very good sense of discernment and my late husband, my friends and my MT husband told me this. It has been proven to me over and over again since I was a KID too. I have a strong faith in God and I believe that I have a Guardian Angel too. But even with those things (Beliefs!) and since I can CARRY A GUN out here and a knife - I will do that in the boonies. I carry a knife on me on a daily basis too. I have different ones and it depends on where I am going.

When I CAMP - there has always been a firearm by my side unless I was in an anti gun state or traveling - making stops in ANTI gun states. That was years ago.

Added more: I live in a college town now. I used to live way UP in the mountains. BUTT up to wilderness. I lived in the boonies with my late husband in farm/lake country. I grew up on the East Coast. Born and raised.

My late Mom's family had property in other parts of NY state - boonies. Another one, her step mother who remarried after my Mom's Dad died, had two homes out on Long Island. Summer and winter homes. We used to visit them. So they did not only live in the city where they worked or went to school.

I was on a trip with my late husband to Cape Cod not our other trips through NY state and up to Maine. On this one trip, we heard something that woke us up while we were camping. He leaned over and said to me, "It is a shame about MA gun laws, where is the gun now, bla and bla." He was working on a military project and did not stay on base. Some other wives were there but they stayed in a motel. We camped and listened to the fog horns. Anyway, it was interesting to say the least and the commotion that we heard ended up being a couple who LEFT the place in the middle of the night but their voices carried in the dark of night. This was NOT when he was in the USN/Nam and all around the world. This was on an Air NG Fighter Wing trip.

Anyway... more later.

Old Lady Cate
Typos!

Last Edited:
That's what I like about Idaho, I can see bad coming from quite a ways out.

NOT in the parts of Idaho where we go close to the Yaak (MT). IT has a heavy forest and IS very remote. There are other parts of ID just like it.

I do have an old gun buddy who lives close to Boise - he moved out of town. A Nam pilot and he has a beautiful log home and lives there with his wife and a few cattle.

The panhandle can get quite interesting. My husband, my RE agent from Bonners Ferry and I woke up a grizzly bear and he fled the scene while we were looking at land several years ago! Panhandle region. We touched the ground/grass AFTER he fled and it was still warm and quite large. He had finished eating and decided to take a nap.

The Naples region of ID is close to that and it is very remote. Naples = Ruby Ridge. We looked at property over there too. CDA, ID and all of the way to Spokane Valley in many parts is getting to be like a mini LA and is VERY built up in areas just in 17 years when I was looking at land.

Cate
Added more.

This LOLO SUMMIT (MT/ID Border) is where we go often and it is not that far from our home in this college town. Thirty or maybe 40 miles from my house.

US Highway 12 is right out of the town of Lolo which I consider a suburb of this college town. LOL

The log cabin visitor's center is where we park and have a cup of coffee or a meal. We don't always stop there but it is a clean, nice place to tinkle if you don't want to use an outhouse in the bitter cold! Been there - done that! Nice log cabin! Heated bathrooms so the water does not freeze.

All along that road and right off of it - it can be pretty remote. I looked at a piece of land that some Canadian wanted to sell that butt up to Plum Creek land years ago. He did not want to come down in price so I passed on it.

Parts of that one road scatter off here and there with hunting trails and forest roads, of course.

On one trip, not the bridge one, we came across some really old abandoned camper. There were some survival books on the wet ground. We just LOOKED at the camper and kept on our walk.

The baby that was half or almost all buried by the looney toon drug addict - criminal record MAN from OR or WA state that was all over the news, last year, was right off of Highway 12 but NOT in some some of those forest designated campgrounds. WAY up there where you could not drive any further is where the FREAK BURIED THE BABY. Steep/rugged terrain. The MT folks (Missoula County Sheriff's Department.) found the baby and the woman-mother was another 'winner'. NOT!

The baby lived and many, many people and LE AGENCIES were on that SEARCH PARTY including some forest service workers who happened to notice that those 2 losers had a BABY with them when they camped lower down on one mountain alone.

Cate

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews