JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey, Burt:

All due respect amigo, but we need to get away from this "the gun was stolen" crap right away. The gun belonged to his mother and was in their house. THEIR house, so there is a pretty good argument that he "took" the gun but since he had constructive possession ahead of time, I'm not sure that's theft that we can defend as theft.

He murdered his mother, somehow. Maybe with the rifle, maybe with one of the handguns.

There is a bigger issue here that I am going to pursue 1st thing Monday morning. The cops have been curiously evasive about this and there is no reason for it:
It has been reported repeatedly that two handguns were recovered inside the school and a Bushmaster rifle found in a car outside, and now the ME says the kids were primarily killed with a rifle.

This does not make sense. What did this loon do, walk the rifle out to the car and lock it in the trunk and then stroll back inside the school to kill himself? Nobody is asking about that for clarity.

I have a real problem with claiming this rifle was "stolen." That is simply not going to wash in the debate, and debating and writing about this stuff is how I make my living.

Concentrate on the points we can make that will stick. The firearms were legally purchased and licensed. That did not stop the crime. We win on that point. The crime occurred in a gun-free school zone. We win on that point. Connecticut has some of the toughest gun restrictions of any state and this is where the crime occurred. We win on that point.

But stealing a gun from the home in which he lived? That doesn't even win with me, amigo, and I'm on your side.

Actually, legally, you can steal things from other people in the house. If she had lived, mom could have reported those guns as stolen. Now if it had been a husband or wife that had taken something from the spouse, I'd be on board with your theory. In this case of a son and mother, there is no sharing of property- guns in this case.

These shootings over the last several decades seem cookie cutter/identical. Shooter is on prescription meds like lithium and prozac (they cause zombie like behavior and sudden violent psychosis in some, my recollection is this began with Patrick Purdy in Cali, which was the excuse for the "AWB" that passed there. I was with a group that fought it, but they ramrodded it thru in the aftermath of the shooting, and mass hysteria foisted on the public by the statist-mainslime media) and under a drs care.. any of you ever read or watch The Manchurian Candidate? USA, Britian and Russia Intelligence agencies have had the tools to completely reform/pattern a mind for decades, this has been reported in international media since 1988 or before

True or not these shootings seem timed perfectly to fit our enemies agenda. I have read up on all the genocides of history, and each and every time disarmament came first. The agenda seems clear. Never turn your weapons in, people. Never

Latest reports say that he entered the school with 2 handguns and a ar-15. The rifle that was in his car was a saiga 12 that he was going to use as a fall-back weapon if police showed up.

Latest reports say that he entered the school with 2 handguns and a ar-15. The rifle that was in his car was a saiga 12 that he was going to use as a fall-back weapon if police showed up.

That's what I read today as well.

We will see a new federal assault weapons ban in the next few weeks, plus a wave of state restrictions on buying and carrying. I doubt there is anything the gun lobby and firearm owners can do to stop it given the scope of this tragedy. As many have pointed out, the NRA had very little impact in the last election, and for every gun owner who calls or writes, there will be a legion of concerned parents to counter them. The anti gun groups have not had this level of public support for decades.

All of the calls for more mental health services are fine (although ironic if you opposed Obamacare), but just a distraction. Judging from the reactions in the press and in my social circle, the focus is on the availability and efficiency of the guns, not the mental case who used them.

This shooting got me reading up on Charles Whitman. At least his shooting spree took talent, he was hitting targets up to 460m away with a bolt action rifle, that's impressive.

Not sure if he was using a scope or had eyes like an eagle, I know with iron-sights those would be some very difficult shots.

I am a fan of the Walking Dead TV show and other Zombie stuff, but am not naive to the underlying purpose of things like graphic war video games and zombie shows. All there to desensitize people to the act of shooting/killing another human. Its just a zombie, or it just an 'enemy'.

I saw the sweetest little 11 year old boy show me how fun it was on his X-box to sneak up behind an enemy and blow his head off in graphic detail.

It was very disturbing to see and bugged me for hours. I was thinking here is this gentle, nice child being conditioned to kill at age 11.

What the North Koreans do in their grade schools will do in our living rooms.

Then we wonder why a 22 year old will lose his mind and shoot up a mall (the shooter, due to years of conditioning, sees real people as nothing more than targets).

Junior's mom is just your typical American mother. Other kids play it, so it is ok for junior. Go with the herd, why stop and question it. If it were bad for junior, surely mommy government would say so and put a stop to it. No, being 11 years old, shooting and dismembering very lifelike people in 1080HD is just great; loads of fun.

I did take the time to sit Junior down and explain why war is so horrible and the facts of life to him the best I could. Perhaps if more adults would do that, then the juniors of the world won't act out their role playing in real life when they are in their twenties.

Not saying ALL mall/theater shooters start off this way, but a fair percentage do. Such conditioning is no accident.

When I was a kid I played shoot-em video games at the Seaside video parlor on Broadway. The difference was it was just a game - not 'lifelike' at all. Today's games are so lifelike in HD the kid actually gets into a trance state. Oh well, enough harping about it ....

Meet the Press, that bubblegum Dianne Feinstein is talking about reintroducing the AWB. I really wish I had the money to buy 3 firearms right now, a FiveseveN, an Uzi, and an AK47.

1. May have broken into his mothers home.
2. May have broken in to a gun safe.
3. Killed his mother. Illegal under present law.
4. Had a gun and he was too young to have one. Illegal under present law.
5. Had a seconde gun and he was too young to have one. Illegal under present law.
6. Had a third gun and he was too young to have one. Illegal under present law.
7. Had ammunition for the first gun and he was too young to have it. Illegal under present law.
8. Had ammunition for the second gun and was too young to have it. Illegal under present law.
9. Had ammunition for the third gun and was too young to have it. Illegal under present law.
10. Fired the gun in town where it was probably illegal to do so.
11. Drove his vehicle onto school property with the guns in it. Illegal under present Federal Law.
12. Carried the guns to the school. Again, illegal under present Federal Law.
13. Broke into the school by breaking the window.
14. Went inside with guns. Again, illegal under present Federal Law.
15. KIlled one person. Illegal under present law.
16. Killed another. Illegal under present law.
17. Killed another. Illegal under present law.
18. Killed another. Illegal under present law.
19. Killed another. Illegal under present law.
20. Killed another. Illegal under present law.
21. Killed another. Illegal under present law.
22. Killed another. Illegal under present law.
23. Killed another. Illegal under present law.
24. Killed another. Illegal under present law.
26. Killed another. Illegal under present law.
27. Killed another. Illegal under present law.
28. Killed another. Illegal under present law.
29. Killed another. Illegal under present law.
30. Killed another. Illegal under present law.
31. Killed another. Illegal under present law.
31. Killed another. Illegal under present law.
32. Killed another. Illegal under present law.
33. Killed another. Illegal under present law.
34. Killed another. Illegal under present law.
35. Killed another. Illegal under present law.
36. Killed another. Illegal under present law.
37. Killed another. Illegal under present law.
38. Killed another. Illegal under present law.
39. Killed another. Illegal under present law.
40. Killed another. Illegal under present law.
41. Killed another. Illegal under present law.
42. Killed himself. Illegal under present law.

This isn't even a complete list I'm sure. Any of you legal beagles have any to add?

All this shows is that someone determined to break laws isn't going to be deterred by one more or a hundred more!

I am a fan of the Walking Dead TV show and other Zombie stuff, but am not naive to the underlying purpose of things like graphic war video games and zombie shows. All there to desensitize people to the act of shooting/killing another human. Its just a zombie, or it just an 'enemy'.

I saw the sweetest little 11 year old boy show me how fun it was on his X-box to sneak up behind an enemy and blow his head off in graphic detail.

It was very disturbing to see and bugged me for hours. I was thinking here is this gentle, nice child being conditioned to kill at age 11.

What the North Koreans do in their grade schools will do in our living rooms.

Then we wonder why a 22 year old will lose his mind and shoot up a mall (the shooter, due to years of conditioning, sees real people as nothing more than targets).

Junior's mom is just your typical American mother. Other kids play it, so it is ok for junior. Go with the herd, why stop and question it. If it were bad for junior, surely mommy government would say so and put a stop to it. No, being 11 years old, shooting and dismembering very lifelike people in 1080HD is just great; loads of fun.

I did take the time to sit Junior down and explain why war is so horrible and the facts of life to him the best I could. Perhaps if more adults would do that, then the juniors of the world won't act out their role playing in real life when they are in their twenties.

Not saying ALL mall/theater shooters start off this way, but a fair percentage do. Such conditioning is no accident.

When I was a kid I played shoot-em video games at the Seaside video parlor on Broadway. The difference was it was just a game - not 'lifelike' at all. Today's games are so lifelike in HD the kid actually gets into a trance state. Oh well, enough harping about it ....

As someone who has been playing violent video games for years, I would have to agree that the life likeness of FPS these days has a desensitizing effect to violence on human beings. Reason why war games are so fun though is because for one, men like to fight, and war is basically the ultimate game in human existence. I believe it was a Civil War General from the South (He was in the book the Killer Angels) who claim'd that war was the ultimate game. Hence it makes a good backdrop for video games.

Right now Im firing up Red Orchestra 2, you have a grenade go off under your feet, your legs get blown off and the nubs for legs bleed profusely, its very life like, and a very violent video game.

One thing Deen - a 20 year old is legal to own a rifle, and here in Oregon an 18 year old can legally purchase and possess a pistol. They can even openly carry. Not sure of Connecticut's or New Jersey's laws on handgun possession by sub-21 year olds. Connecticut isn't hugely restrictive, IIRC with their gun laws. Probably allowed to possess at 18, you just cannot buy a HANDGUN from an FFL until 21, and most states won't issue a concealed carry permit to anyone under 21.

One thing Deen - a 20 year old is legal to own a rifle, and here in Oregon an 18 year old can legally purchase and possess a pistol. They can even openly carry. Not sure of Connecticut's or New Jersey's laws on handgun possession by sub-21 year olds. Connecticut isn't hugely restrictive, IIRC with their gun laws. Probably allowed to possess at 18, you just cannot buy a HANDGUN from an FFL until 21, and most states won't issue a concealed carry permit to anyone under 21.

NOT in CT he isn't. News reports say so as well as not being able to buy ammo.

NOT in CT he isn't. News reports say so as well as not being able to buy ammo.

From Summary of Gun Legislation

May 21, 2007

2007-R-0369

SUMMARY OF STATE GUN LAWS

By: Veronica Rose, Principal Analyst

You asked for a summary of Connecticut gun laws.

SUMMARY

The Connecticut Constitution (Article First, § 15) gives every citizen the right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state. But state law regulates firearm sales, use, and possession.

For regulatory purposes, the law classifies "firearms" into four groups: handguns (pistols and revolvers), long guns (rifles and shotguns), assault weapons, and machine guns. The degree of regulation depends on the type of firearm and, in some cases, the type of transaction (i.e., dealer sales as opposed to secondary or nondealer sales).

With minor exceptions, (1) anyone buying or otherwise acquiring a handgun in Connecticut, whether from a licensed gun dealer or an unlicensed person, must have an eligibility certificate or a permit to sell or carry handguns, and (2) anyone carrying a handgun (except in one's home or business) must have a permit to carry handguns. The credentials allow unlimited gun purchases. No permit or certificate is required to possess handguns in one's home or business.

Permit and certificate applicants must pass state and national criminal history record checks and meet other criteria in law, including, in the case of a carry permit, being deemed suitable to get a permit. Ineligible applicants include convicted felons, illegal aliens, and anyone (1) under age 21; (2) under a court protective or restraining order for using, attempting, or threatening to use force against someone; or (3) discharged into the community in the preceding 20 years after having been found not guilty of a crime by reason of mental disease or defect.

No permit or certificate is required to buy, possess, or carry long guns. But people cannot possess them, if they (1) were ever convicted of a felony or serious juvenile offense, (2) cannot legally possess firearms under federal law because they have been adjudicated as "mental defectives" or have been committed to a mental institution, or (3) know they are under a firearms seizure or restraining or protective order for using or threatening to use violence against someone else. State law sets no minimum age for possessing long guns.

Assault weapons are illegal. People cannot legally buy them or (with one minor exception) bring them into Connecticut. But people who owned assault weapons before October 1, 1993 and registered them with the Department of Public Safety (DPS) before October 1, 1994 can keep them, and dispose of them, under prescribed circumstances.

Machine guns must be registered with DPS within 24 hours after a person acquires them and annually thereafter.

The law regulates (1) handgun sales and transfers by dealers and nondealers and (2) long gun sales and transfers by dealers. It does not regulate secondary sales or transfers of long guns (i.e, nondealer transactions) except to a limited extent at gun shows. Among other things, the law prohibits regulated persons from selling or transferring a covered firearm unless they get a firearm transfer authorization number from DPS, which must conduct a national instant criminal history record check on the buyer to determine if he or she can legally possess firearms.

The law, with exceptions, prohibits carrying (1) firearms on school property, (2) firearms on Connecticut General Assembly property, (3) loaded handguns in a vehicle, and (4) handguns where barred by law or a property owner.

The law imposes criminal penalties on people who (1) store loaded firearms in a way that gives a minor under age 16 unauthorized access to them and (2) transfer handguns to minors under age 21, except as authorized at firing or shooting ranges.

Under limited circumstances and following specified procedures, law enforcement officials may get warrants and seize firearms from anyone posing an imminent risk of harming himself or someone else and a court may order the firearms held for up to one year.

BUYING HANDGUNS—PERMIT OR ELIGIBILITY CERTIFICATE REQUIRED

With the exception of federal marshals and parole and peace officers, anyone buying or otherwise acquiring a handgun (except an antique) in Connecticut must be a resident and present a valid gun dealer's permit, handgun eligibility certificate, or handgun permit (CGS § 29-33(b)). (The residency requirement is a federal requirement (18 USC §§ 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30.)

The dealer's permit is a local permit issued by police chiefs (or borough wardens or first selectmen) and allows federally licensed firearm dealers to sell handguns; the eligibility certificate is issued by DPS and allows an individual to get handguns and keep them at his or her home or business place; and the gun permit is issued by DPS and allows the permittee to carry handguns statewide (CGS § 29-33b).

CARRYING HANDGUNS—PERMIT REQUIRED

With minor exceptions, state law bars anyone from carrying handguns (except antique handguns) either concealed or openly without a gun permit in Connecticut, except in one's home or business. The permittee must carry the permit when carrying a handgun (CGS § 29-35(a)). Carrying a handgun without a permit is punishable by imprisonment for up to five years and a fine of up to $1,000, with a one-year mandatory minimum sentence in the absence of mitigating circumstances. Any handgun found in the violator's possession must be forfeited (CGS § 29-37(b)). A permittee who does not carry the permit on his person when carrying handguns commits an infraction and must pay a $35 fine (CGS § 29-37(c)).

The law exempts Connecticut parole and peace officers; other states' parole or peace officers on official business; federal marshals and law enforcement officers; U.S. Armed Forces members on, or going to or from, duty; and members of a military organization on parade or going to or from a place of assembly. It also exempts anyone carrying a handgun (1) in its original package from the point of purchase to his or her home or business place, (2) as merchandise, (3) for repair or when moving

household goods, and (4) to or from a testing range at a firearm permit-issuing authority's request, or (5) to a competition or exhibit under an out-of-state permit (CGS § 29-35).

The fee for an initial permit to carry handguns is $70, plus sufficient funds to pay the Federal Bureau of Investigation for the national criminal history record checks. The renewal fee is $35 (CGS § 29-30). The permit is valid for five years.

WHO CANNOT LEGALLY POSSESS, CARRY, OR GET CREDENTIALS FOR HANDGUNS UNDER STATE LAW

Anyone who wants to possess or carry handguns or get an eligibility certificate or permit to carry them in Connecticut must complete a DPS-approved handgun safety and use course, and undergo state and national criminal history record checks. With regard to the permit, the local official (who issues temporary permits to permit applicants) must consider if the applicant (1) wants the firearm for lawful purposes and (2) is a suitable person to get a permit. The law does not define suitability, which is left to the official's discretion (CGS § 29-28(b).

The following people cannot possess handguns or get the credentials—illegal aliens and anyone:

1. discharged from custody in the preceding 20 years after a finding of not guilty of a crime by reason of mental disease or defect;

2. confined by the probate court to a mental hospital in the 12 months before applying for a permit or certificate;

3. convicted of a serious juvenile offense;

4. subject to a firearm seizure order issued after notice and a hearing;

5. prohibited under federal law from possessing or shipping firearms because they were adjudicated as mental defectives or committed to a mental institution (except in cases where the Treasury Department grants relief from this disability);

6. under a protective or restraining order for using or threatening to use force and in the case of possession, he or she knows about the order and if the order was issued in-state, he or she was notified and given a hearing opportunity; or

7. convicted of any felony or specified misdemeanors (CGS §§ 29-28, 29-36f and 53a-217c).

Disqualifying misdemeanors are:

1. criminally negligent homicide (excluding deaths caused by motor vehicles) (CGS § 53a-58);

2. third-degree assault (CGS § 53a-61);

3. third-degree assault of a blind, elderly, pregnant, or mentally retarded person (CGS § 53a-61a);

4. second-degree threatening (CGS § 53a-62);

5. first-degree reckless endangerment (CGS § 53a-63);

6. second-degree unlawful restraint (CGS § 53a-96);

7. first-degree riot (CGS § 53a-175);

8. second-degree riot (CGS § 53a-176);

9. inciting to riot (CGS § 53a-178);

10. second-degree stalking (CGS § 53a-181d); and

11. first offense involving possession of (a) controlled or hallucinogenic substances (other than a narcotic substance or marijuana) or (b) less than four ounces of a cannabis-type substance (CGS § 21a-279(c)).

Minors and Handgun Possession

State law does not set a minimum age requirement for possessing handguns. But the law (with one minor exception) prohibits transferring a handgun to anyone under age 21 (CGS § 29-34(b)). And it requires that an applicant for an eligibility certificate or gun permit be at least age 21 (CGS §§ 29-28 and 29-36f). (Federal law prohibits federal firearms licensees (FFLs) from transferring handguns to anyone under age 21. It,

with exceptions, prohibits nondealer transfers to, and possession by, people under age 18. But the state's 21-year age requirement for transfers supersedes this federal provision.)

Criminal Penalties

Illegal possession of a handgun is a class D felony (see Table on Penalties) (CGS § 53a-217c).

WHO CANNOT LEGALLY POSSESS LONG GUNS UNDER STATE LAW

It is illegal for a person to possess a long gun if he or she:

1. has ever been convicted of a felony;

2. has ever been convicted of a serious juvenile offense;

3. knows that he or she is subject to a restraining or protective order, in a case involving the use, threatened, or attempted use of force (after notice and a hearing opportunity, for in-state orders);

4. knows that he or she is subject to a firearms seizure order, after notice and a hearing opportunity; or

5. is prohibited from transporting or possessing firearms under federal law (because he or she has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to a mental institution, except in cases where the Treasury Department grants relief from the disability).

State law sets no minimum age for possessing long guns. A junior firearms hunting license may be issued to a child between ages 12 and 16 (CGS § 26-27a). (Federal law prohibits FFLs from selling or transferring long guns to people under age 18. But it does not address sales or transfers by nondealers or possession by minors (18 USC § 922(b) and 27 CFR § 478. 99(b)(1)).

Illegal possession of a long gun is a class D felony with a two-year mandatory minimum prison term (CGS § 53a-217(b)).

ASSAULT WEAPONS

By law, it is illegal for anyone to (1) possess assault weapons, unless he or she possessed the weapon before October 1, 1993, registered it with DPS before October 1, 1994, and received a DPS certificate of

possession for it; or (2) sell, transfer, distribute, or transport assault weapons (CGS § 53-202b). (The definition of assault weapons is highly technical; see CGS § 53-202a.)

The law (1) exempts from the assault weapon ban law enforcement officers, correction officials, and military and naval personnel discharging their official duties and (2) allows estate executors and administrators to possess registered estate weapons under probate court orders (CGS § 53-202c). Also, anyone, except a member of the military, who moves into Connecticut with a lawful assault weapon has 90 days to (1) render it permanently inoperable, (2) sell it to a licensed gun dealer, or (3) take it out of state. Members of the military who move to Connecticut, after October 1, 1994, have 90 days to get a certificate of possession for any legally possessed assault weapon (CGS §§ 53-202d(b)).

Criminal Penalties

Illegal possession of an assault weapon is a class D felony, with a mandatory minimum one-year prison term. A first-time violation is a class A misdemeanor if the violator can prove that he or she possessed the weapon before October 1, 1993 and is otherwise in compliance with the law (CGS § 53-202c).

Illegally transferring or carrying an assault weapon is a class C felony, with a two-year mandatory minimum or, in the case of transfers to people under age 18, an additional six-year mandatory minimum (CGS § 53-202b).

Keeping Registered Assault Weapons

A person may possess a lawfully registered assault weapon only:

1. at his or her home, business place, or other property he or she owns;

2. on someone else's property with the owner's express permission;

3. at certain target ranges or shooting clubs;

4. while attending a firearms exhibition, display, or educational project sponsored, conducted, or approved by a law enforcement agency or a national or state-recognized entity that fosters proficiency in, or promotes, firearm proficiency or education; or

5. while transporting the weapon between any of the above places or to a licensed firearm dealer for servicing or repair (CGS § 53-202d(d)).

Transporting Assault Weapons

When being transported, assault weapons must be unloaded and, if transported in a vehicle, kept in the trunk or in a case inaccessible to the vehicle operator or passengers. A violation carries a fine of up to $500, imprisonment for up to three years, or both (CGS § 53-202f).

Disposing of Assault Weapons

Anyone wanting to dispose of a registered assault weapon may transfer it to a licensed firearm dealer or, after making arrangements to relinquish it, a police department or DPS, following guidelines for transporting such weapons (CGS §§ 53-202d(b) and 53-202e).

Reports of Thefts of Assault Weapons

Anyone whose lawfully possessed assault weapon is stolen must file a police report within 72 hours of the time he or she discovered or should have discovered the theft (CGS § 53-202g). No penalty is specified for violations, and there is no requirement to report lost weapons.

MACHINE GUNS, SAWED-OFF SHOTGUNS, AND SILENCERS

With some exceptions, anyone who owns a machine gun (1) must register it with DPS within 24 hours of acquiring it and annually thereafter on July 1 (CGS § 53-202(g)). Using a machine gun for an offensive or aggressive purpose (as defined in law) carries a five- to 10-year prison term, a fine of up to $1,000, or both. There is a presumption that the possession of a machine gun is for an offensive purpose if, among other things, it is found on premises not owned or rented as a residence or business place.

Anyone who possesses or uses a machine gun while committing a violent crime is subject to imprisonment for 10 to 20 years.

The restrictions on possession do not apply to machine guns (1) manufactured for sale or transfer to the U.S. government, states, territories, or political subdivisions; (2) rendered inoperable by welding critical functioning parts; or (3) acquired, transferred, or possessed under the National Firearms Act, provided they are registered (CGS § 53-202(h)).

It is illegal to own or possess (1) sawed-off shotguns, defined as any shotgun having a barrel of less than 18 inches or an overall length of less than 26 inches or (2) silencers designed to muffle a firearm's discharge noise. A violation is a class D felony (CGS § 53a-211). The ban does not apply to anyone otherwise permitted by state or federal law to own them. According to the State Police, a person may legally possess sawed-off shotguns and silencers, under federal law, if they obtain a federal tax stamp to possess them.

RESTRICTION ON GUN TRANSFERS/TRANSFER PROCEDURES

Handgun Sales/Transfers

All handgun sales and transfers, whether by licensed dealers or unlicensed persons, must conform to specified procedures, except those among federal firearms licensees, made to law enforcement officials, or involving antique handguns (CGS § 29-33).

Under the procedures, buyers must complete a DPS firearms purchase application (currently DPS-67-C). When they get the handgun, they must sign a receipt (currently DPS-3-C) listing (1) their name, address, and occupation (2) the make, model, serial number, and caliber of the gun, (3) the transfer date and authorization number for the transfer, and (4) the permit or eligibility certificate number (CGS § 29-33e). DPS must conduct a national instant criminal background check on applicants and either bar the transaction or issue an authorization number for it. People selling or otherwise transferring handguns must:

1. ensure that they know the people buying the guns or get appropriate identification from them,

2. ensure that handguns are unloaded when sold and equipped with a reusable trigger lock accessible by key or electronic or mechanical accessory specific to the device to prevent unauthorized removal (except for wholesale transactions),

3. document the transactions with State Police and appropriate local officials within 48 hours, and

4. keep the transaction records for inspection by law enforcement officials (application for at least 20 years and receipt for at least five years).

Long Gun Sales and Transfer Procedures

Sales by Licensees. With some exceptions, when gun dealers sell or transfer long guns, they must conform to procedures, the essential elements of which are similar to those governing handgun transfers. The law prohibits dealers from transferring long guns until two weeks after an application. It also requires DPS to conduct a national instant criminal background check on applicants (CGS § 29-37a). But the licensee does not have to know the buyer or require that he or she present valid identification.

The law exempts from the waiting period: (1) federal marshals, parole officers, and peace officers; (2) anyone with a valid hunting license, eligibility certificate, or permit to carry handguns; (3) any member of the U.S. Armed Forces; and (4) anyone buying antique firearms (CGS § 29-37a(b)). It also exempts these people and transactions from provisions requiring (1) buyers to sign a receipt for the firearm and provide certain information on themselves and the firearm and (2) dealers to send this documentation to state and local police officials.

Sales by Nonlicensees. Secondary long gun transfers (i.e, sales involving non-licensed people) are not regulated, except for the limited gun show regulation (described below). This means, among other things, that a buyer does not have to undergo criminal history record checks, and a seller does not have to (1) know the buyer, (2) verify if the buyer can legally possess firearms, or (3) document transactions with DPS. (DPS recommends that sellers document transactions nonetheless.) Under federal law, a seller cannot transfer any firearm to anyone knowing that the person cannot legally possess firearms (18 USC §§ 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d) 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30).

At least 30 days before a gun show, the organizer or other responsible party must notify the police chief, warden, or first selectman of the jurisdiction in which the show is to take place of the date, time, duration, and location of the show (CGS § 29-37g(b)). People selling or otherwise transferring guns at such shows must ask DPS to conduct national criminal history record checks on buyers and provide an authorization number for each transaction (CGS § 29-37g(c)).

Violations

The law prohibits firearm transfers (1) to ineligible people or (2) in violation of its procedures. It specifically prohibits transferring handguns to anyone who (1) cannot legally possess them under state law or (2) does not have a permit to carry handguns, a firearm dealer's permit, or an eligibility certificate (CGS § 29-33(a) and (b)). Transferring a handgun in violation of the procedures or to an ineligible person is a class D felony. But it is a class B felony if the person transferring the firearm knows that

it is stolen or that the manufacturer's number or serial number has been removed, defaced, altered, or obliterated (CGS § 29-33(i)). The court may, in some circumstances, suspend prosecution for a first minor violation.

The law contains no specific penalty for transferring long guns to ineligible persons or violating the transfer procedures (CGS § 29-37a).

RESTRICTIONS ON CARRYING AND TRANSPORTING FIREARMS

In Public Buildings

The law, with minor exceptions, bars people from carrying firearms in any building (1) where either House of the General Assembly is located; (2) in which the office of any legislator or legislative officer, employee, or committee is located; or (3) where a legislative committee is holding a meeting. The law exempts police officers, military personnel on official duty, and veterans serving as honor guards (CGS § 2-1e(c)).

Interference with the legislative process is a class D felony.

In Public

The permit to carry handguns allows people to carry them openly or concealed, but mature judgment, says the Board of Firearm Permit Examiners, dictates that (1) "every effort should be made to ensure that no gun is exposed to view or carried in any manner that would tend to alarm people who see it. . .[and] (2) no handgun should be carried unless carrying the gun at the time and place involved is prudent and proper in the circumstances."

For example, according to the board, handguns should not be carried:

1. into a bar or other place where alcohol is being consumed;

2. in any situation involving stress such as an argument;

3. after consuming alcohol or any drugs other than those legally prescribed; or

4. in any building, residential or commercial, whose owner prohibits handguns (Board of Firearms Permit Examiners).

Motor Vehicles

By law, when handguns are being transported in a motor vehicle, they must be unloaded and kept (1) in a place not readily or directly accessible from the passenger compartment or (2) in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console (CGS § 29-35). A violation carries a penalty of one to five years imprisonment, a fine of up to $1,000, or both, with a mandatory minimum one-year sentence in the absence of mitigating circumstances (CGS § 29-37).

When long guns are being transported in a vehicle or snowmobile, they must be unloaded. A violation carries a fine of $10 to $100, imprisonment for up to 30 days or both (CGS § 53-205).

On School Property and School-Sponsored Events

It is illegal, with some exceptions, to possess firearms on any elementary or secondary school property or at any school-sponsored event, if the person knows that he or she is not licensed or privileged to possess such firearms. A violation is a class D felony. The law does not apply to the otherwise lawful possession by:

1. anyone using a firearm as part of an approved school program;

2. anyone who has an agreement with the school allowing the firearm;

3. peace officers functioning in their official capacity; and

4. anyone with an unloaded firearm crossing school property to hunt, provided entry is allowed (CGS § 53a-217b).

Other Places where Firearms are Prohibited

People are barred from possessing or carrying handguns on any premises where prohibited by law or by the person who owns or exercises control over the premises (CGS § 29-28(e)).

A violation carries a fine of up to $500, imprisonment for up to three years, or both, and any handgun found in the violator's possession must be forfeited (CGS § 29-37).

CHILD PROTECTION

Safe Storage

The law imposes criminal penalties on people who store loaded firearms on their premises if they know or reasonably should know that a minor (person under age 16) is likely to gain access to them without the minor's parent's or guardian's permission (CGS § 29-37i). A person is not criminally liable if the firearm is locked up or in a location that a reasonable person considers to be secure, or carries it on his or her person or close enough so that he or she can readily retrieve it.

A person is criminally negligent if the violation of these provisions results in a minor using the firearm to injure or kill himself or someone else (CGS § 53a-217a). A violator is strictly liable for damages if a minor obtains the unlawfully stored firearm and causes the injury or death of anyone (CGS § 52-571g). The provisions do not apply if the minor obtains the firearm by unlawful entry.

Handgun Trigger Locks

The law requires retail firearm dealers to provide handgun buyers with a reusable trigger lock, gun lock, or other appropriate locking device for the firearm at the time of sale. They must give buyers the following written warning in block letters at least one inch high:

UNLAWFUL STORAGE OF A LOADED FIREARM MAY RESULT IN IMPRISONMENT OR FINE

They must also conspicuously post the warning in block letters at least three inches high at each service counter. Each violation carries a fine of up to $500 (CGS §§ 29-33(d), 29-37b).

Handgun Transfers to Minors

The law bars transfer of handguns to people under age 21, except for temporary transfers at a target shooting or firing range, provided use is under the immediate supervision of a person eligible to possess handguns. A violation is a class D felony, with a one-year mandatory minimum sentence, plus any handguns found in the violator's possession must be forfeited (CGS § 29-34(b)).

DEALER REGULATIONS

Federal law requires that firearm dealers have a federal firearms license. State law requires anyone who sells 10 or more handguns in a calendar year or is a federally licensed firearm dealer to have a local permit to sell handguns as well. This permit is issued by the police chief or, where there is no police chief, by the borough warden or first selectman (CGS § 29-28(a)). The official may issue the permit only if the applicant holds a valid eligibility certificate or carry permit and submits documentation showing that the premises comply with local zoning requirements.

Business organizations that sell firearms at retail must have burglar alarms installed on their premises where 10 or more firearms are stored or kept for sale (CGS § 29-37d).

Any retail business that sells firearms but not as a principal part of its business may not employ people to sell firearms in a retail store unless the employees:

1. are at least age 18;

2. have submitted to state and national criminal history record checks, which indicate they have not been convicted of a felony or any violation that would make them ineligible for a handgun eligibility certificate; and

3. have successfully completed a DPS-approved course or test in firearm safety and statutory procedures relating to the sale of firearms (CGS § 29-37f).

An employer who violates this provision is subject to a civil penalty of up to $10,000 per day for each violation.

Firearm dealers may not sell handguns anywhere except in the room, store, or other place described in the permit to sell handguns, and they must display the permit in the place identified in the permit (CGS § 29-31).

MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS

Gun Seizure from People Posing Harm

By law, police, under limited circumstances and following specified procedures, may get warrants and seize firearms from anyone posing an imminent risk of harming himself or someone else (CGS § 29-38c). Police can seek the warrant only after (1) conducting an independent investigation to establish probable cause and (2) determining that no reasonable alternative exists to avert the risk of harm. A judge must hold a hearing within 14 days after the seizure and decide whether to return the firearms or order them held for up to one year (see OLR Report 2006-R-0330.HTM for a discussion of seizures under this law).

Ballistic Fingerprinting

The law requires DPS to establish a firearms evidence databank. The databank is a computer-based system that scans test fires from handguns and stores the test fire images so they can be retrieved and compared to other test fire images and to other evidence in criminal investigations (CGS § 29-7h(a)(1), (5)).

Disclosure of Certain Gun Information

The names and addresses of gun permit and eligibility certificate holders are exempt from disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act. They are disclosable only to law enforcement officials performing their duties and, to the extent necessary, to handgun transferors requesting information on the validity of a permit or certificate (CGS § 29-28(d)).

Provisions Applying to Nonresidents

Out-of-state residents with a valid concealed gun permit from another state may apply directly to the public safety commissioner for a permit to carry handguns in Connecticut (CGS § 29-28(f)).

The law allows out-of-state residents to transport handguns without a permit through Connecticut for lawful purposes in accordance with federal law if they (1) are not otherwise prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving, or possessing guns and (2) are transporting them between states where they can legally possess and carry them. They cannot use, carry, sell, deliver, or otherwise transfer the guns while in the state.

The law also allows out-of-state residents permitted to possess and carry handguns in their own state to transport handguns in Connecticut without a Connecticut permit when (1) at or participating in competitions or attending meetings or exhibitions of organized gun collectors, (2) taking the firearms for repairs, or (3) taking part in or during formal handgun training at a locally approved or permitted firing range or training facility.

If being transported in a vehicle, the firearms must be kept unloaded and not readily or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of a vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearms must be kept in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console (CGS §§ 29-38d and 29-35).

OFFENSES AND PENALTIES

Classification

Table I shows firearm offenses and penalties. Table 2 shows the penalties for various classes of offenses. The offenses are classified as follows:

1. transfer,

2. carrying,

3. use,

4. possession,

5. child endangerment,

6. assault weapon,

7. machine gun,

8. "straw man,"

9. hunting, and

10. miscellaneous.

Some offenses are included in more than one category. For example, an offense involving the use of an assault weapon is included in both the "firearm use" category and "assault weapons" category.

Class A, B, and C Felonies and Mandatory Sentences

CGS § 53-202j imposes a mandatory minimum eight-year sentence on anyone who uses, threatens to use, displays, or purports to have an assault weapon while committing a class A, B, or C felony. CGS § 53-202k imposes a mandatory, minimum five-year sentence on anyone who uses, threatens to use, displays, or purports to have a firearm other than an assault weapon while committing a class A, B, or C felony. In both cases, the sentence is in addition and consecutive to any imprisonment for the felony. The offenses on Table 1 subject to the additional sentence are marked with an asterisk.

Persistent Offenders

CGS § 53a-40 authorizes the court to impose, under the persistent dangerous felony offender law, a prison term of up to 40 years, based on one previous violent felony conviction, and up to life, based on two such previous convictions. (By law, a sentence of life imprisonment means a definite sentence of 60 years.) The law requires a court to impose an enhanced sentence if it determines the public interest would best be served by the sentence. Among the firearm offenses subject to the persistent dangerous felony provision are:

1. first- and second- degree kidnapping with a firearm,

2. first- and second-degree manslaughter with a firearm, and

3. third-degree sexual assault with a firearm.

I don't see anything in there about having to be 21 to buy or possess a rifle. You have to have a pistol permit to buy a handgun. So it seems the bit about being under age to possess a rifle is wrong. Yes he was underage on the handguns.

He committed multiple felonies by bringing a firearm to a school, unlawfully possessing handguns, illegally carrying the firearms, murder, assault, theft, etc - but he was old enough to possess the rifle, according to the state website quoted above.

Connecticut is a restrictive state, it would seem. New Jersey even more so - I didn't look up the NJ statutes on age/rifles/ammo.

While we're building laundry lists of laws that somehow (once again) did not prevent lunacy, had he lived, he'd been charged with menacing (one count each for each survivor he threatened): with a firearm, most certainly a felony. Each wounded survivor (and conceivably anyone in proximity and missed) would be an attempt murder charge.

I'm just looking for ANYONE to come up with ANY remotely plausible law (including a AWB) that would have prevented this guy from stealing his mother's guns after murdering her, thereby preventing this tragedy.

NAME ME ONE.

I actually pay attention to the Brady Center and their proposals. Not a single one of them would have in anyway interfered with this atrocity.

The only way you could hope to stop this kind of thing is with a ban on ALL privately owned arms. That would cost, assuming that we didn't ALSO throw out the 5th amendment, about a trillion dollars.

That's just in buybacks assuming a 100% compliance rate.

Is there anyone here that thinks a revocation of the 2nd amendment wouldn't result in a revolution?

This event is horrible beyond belief. It's a national tragedy.

But our solutions for this have nothing to do with gun control absent the fever-dreams of the Bradys.

Our solutions come in the form of REAL increases in mental health access funding. It can take up to 12 weeks to get an appointment with a mental health professional. If you don't think that lack of access is a problem, loook to the last "big three" mass killers. They couldn't have got help EVEN IF THEY HAD WANTED TO.

What ever happened to the guy in Camo in the woods on the news that suddenly was never talked about? The two guys seen running by the windows before the attack started? I smell a rat. Too much riding on this horrific act. Just remember that just about anyone can now be made to bark like a dog or crow like a rooster, believe they ARE a rooster in just a matter of hours. Patsies are a dime a dozen. Not saying this is the case here, but if not, why are certain parts of the story already being complete suppressed by the prestitutes?

http://www.thedailysheeple.com/so-m...acre-an-organzied-false-flag-operation_122012

Videos/stories and info are being cleaned up where you won't see these kind of things a month from now. Just shut up and accept what the MSM tells you, as usual. You are free to believe anything they tell you.

My guess is legislation in response to this act was fully drafted in advance. Sounds all too familiar.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top