JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For what it's worth in Washington if asked by a LEO, you are required by law to produce your CPL.

No profit in being a hard case about it, it'll only go harder for you, but to each their own.

I prefer to cooperate and go home instead of the precinct house. :)

No one said anything about not giving any officer information he is legally entitled to see. In the case of Washington if the officer asks to see supporting documentation then he shall see whatever he is legally entitled to. I'm not volunteering squat. In 25 years no Washington state officer of any flavor has asked to see my CPL nor would I volunteer any information not required by law of me to volunteer. It is the job, nay , it is the duty of any sworn police official to gather evidence to help in the prosecution of suspects. Anything you say can and will... etc. Never talk to the police or volunteer anything outside of the minimum amount of information required by law. Innocent people , and guilty people both try to talk themselves out of a bad situation all the time and end up rightfully and wrongfully jailed. Never assist in your own prosecution even if you think youve done nothing wrong. Name, rank and serial number. Anything else they'll earn their paycheck for.

Last Edited:
I take it you are, or used to be, a cop? So tell me what's wrong with keeping your hands in sight and simply telling the officer, "I have a concealed carry permit and I have a gun, it's <insert location here>, what would you like me to do?" Then waiting for instructions.
Never say...I have a gun...never say the word gun...it will be all they hear and react accordingly... I always say I have a concealed permit and let them ask the question as to if I have one on me

Even before I had a CPL, I just rolled down the window and put my hands on the steering wheel. No reason really, except it was comfortable. Wait for the cop to tell me what they want, then hand over DL, proof of insurance, registration, since 1990 it also includes my CPL. When asked if I'm carrying, I tell them yes and where. Regardless if I get a ticket or not (I am always at fault LOL!), I still tell them to have a great and safe day.

Maybe because I'm a "yes sir", "no sir", "yes ma'am", "no ma'am", "thank you", "please" kind of person I just don't seem to have problems with law enforcement. Besides, the faster we can both be safely on our way the better.

I suppose knowing I was at fault to begin with and expect the cops to do their jobs (yes even when it's me) makes it easier for me. Then, when I only get a warning, maybe a mini-lecture which we both know is just business not personal, I feel pretty good about things. Like winning another whole dollar for your dollar lottery ticket, not a big thing but better than losing and nice none the less.

This isn't directed at anyone, just my opinion and it seems to work for me. Maybe that's the key, find what comfortably works for you, understand what the cops go through and both us and the cops can get it wrapped up.

Mike

Oh, forgot the original question DOH! I carry my CPL in my wallet (left back pocket) along with my DL, NRA card, SAF card, etc.
It's the using your manners thing that gets me...if I'm speeding ( breaking the law) and I get pulled over ...it's my fault! Why be a dick to someone because it's MY FAULT. I always show respect, not kissing a$$ just a show of respect. I expect the same in return and usually get it. If we continue to treat cops like I see the idiots on YouTube do it won't be long before we all get treated poorly. I have never been treated like a criminal during a traffic stop I believe because I always act civil and show respect

In the wallet for 25 years never an issue

My wallet rides next to me not in my back pocket. Registration and insurance card are in the cubby in the front panel. I have it all ready without having to dig around. Hands at 10 and two and I'm good to go. I will pass my Chl with my DL and wait for them to ask. I think giving them the two seconds to process that I'm licensed and come to the conclusion I'm being open in their own mind before the word gun or firearm is spoken can only be beneficial.

What if your shirt doesn't have a pocket - most of mine don't.

When I wear a jacket, it's inside an inner jacket pocket, where a shoulder holster would land.

My rule is this - if I'm stopped, window partially down, both hands on the wheel and no moving until directed to do so. If asked for my license, I first tell them where it is so they know where I'll be reaching and only do it once they tell me to, keeping the other hand on the wheel. Just as I was taught in my CHL class.

I think that this rule is the best that there is. Don't make any movements until asked to do so, especially do not lean over to get something out of the glove box, as this is usually when an officer loses sight of a person. Personally I will roll the window all the way down, unless it is raining really hard.

Just because I don't show the cop my permit,doesn't make me a dick. Just because I won't put my hands on the wheel or on the window doesn't make me a dick
Just because I don't want to offer any more info than necessary doesn't make me a dick
No sayin I ain't a dick though:D
I have always dug for my info wherever it may be in the car. With the cop coming up to the window
Only thing ever said was cause I needed to take my seat belt off to get to the glove box:eek:(might be a gun there!)
A prick with a newbie pulled me over in south Seattle (happened to be driving a big caddy,lol oh he's white!)
He saw 22 shells in the glove box and didn't really get too excited. Even after I asked him if he saw something he liked.
Point is,none of this BS matters. Just act normal.
If I was a cop and you had your hands on the door window,I would figure you were an excon and may be a threat. I don't see that as showing respect to the officer,just acting silly,really.
Crap I usually ask them how's it goin today
I have never got more or less abuse than I deserved
I most always deserved the ticket
But I needed a laugh so I read thru the thread again:D

I remember once when I got pulled over and ticketed for "riding without eye protection" for stopping at a stop light and raising the visor on my helmet to let some air it when it was 104 degrees. I was a dick. I called that officer everything but officer because he was most certainly a total and complete douchebag. I'm a dick sometimes and no one who's ever pulled me over ever felt they were getting respected. Still not going to show you my permit unless you ask for it and my carrying a gun isnt your business either.

Seriously. Remaining silent is my best option :) .

After the police shooting of the guy back East who had a CPL, well, I thought I would say a few words here about how to carry your CPL.

First off I'd like to say that I have been stopped by a LEO while I was carrying and after a few tense moments, everything went well for me and my Bride. I'll also mention that at that particular point in time my best CPL was the Badge I was wearing on my belt in plain view.

If I hadn't been carrying a Badge at the time I still feel I would have been OKay. The main reason, I think that it would have been OKay is because I have always carried my CPL(I've had one since '71) in my front shirt pocket and not tucked away in my back pocket - as in next to my sidearm. Just the act of reaching into his back pocket is what I figure got the fellow killed. I have made a few traffic stops in my time and all of them went off without a shooting but a number of them did end up in the arrest of the guy or gal in the car. I have been stopped both before and after that stop but using the CPL in my front pocket has always been a plus for me.

Please, think about putting your CPL into your front shirt pocket and NOT in your back pocket, next to your sidearm!!!:):):)
"Your CPL and where to carry IT"..
That was a whole lot a mouthing words abut what?
Can you even make pecan pie or are you just trying to sell something.. that's not pecan pie?

Sure give him the documents he has do,but that's it.
I ain't putting my hands out the window or on the steering wheel.
I am not a criminal. I just maybe drove bad.
If I was drunk and stupid enough to drive, I alway gave them the correct documents and nothing else.
I'm not afeered of them and not stooping to POS levels to make them comfertable
They can get another job if they're *skeered* (spell check sucks)
Just my opinion.

I sense sarcasm...if not. Sell your guns and move to looney land ( San Francisco)

Drivers license , Insurance card and Registration. Thats all they'll get from me. They want anything more than that theyre going to have to read me my rights and wait for my lawyer to show up. Ive got all the time in the world.

You would be arrested, Lawyers dont come out to the field ......You sound like one of those idiots off of YouTube... Dont be a richard and they will be fine with you

You would be arrested, Lawyers dont come out to the field ......You sound like one of those idiots off of YouTube... Dont be a richard and they will be fine with you

Arrested my @ss. I dont have to tell anyone anything. I am under the obligation to provide my drivers license, registration, and proof of insurance. Thats all. They can start writing the ticket on the way up to the car as far as I'm concerned. If they want to arrest me for not carrying on a conversation with them and kissing their badge on the side of the road go for it. Wastes their time and keeps them from being a God Damned nuisance on the road for a few hours. Then the judge throws it out. I havent been arrested for being a dick to a cop in 30+ years but when it did happen it got thrown out as soon as it got to the judge. Ive got all kinds of time.

We were watching another story about cops out of control and shooting unarmed people because they were a bunch of jumpy pussies the other day on the news and my 16YO son used the term "scumbag cop" . Made me so proud.

Arrested my @ss. I dont have to tell anyone anything. I am under the obligation to provide my drivers license, registration, and proof of insurance. Thats all. They can start writing the ticket on the way up to the car as far as I'm concerned. If they want to arrest me for not carrying on a conversation with them and kissing their badge on the side of the road go for it. Wastes their time and keeps them from being a God Damned nuisance on the road for a few hours. Then the judge throws it out. I havent been arrested for being a dick to a cop in 30+ years but when it did happen it got thrown out as soon as it got to the judge. Ive got all kinds of time.

We were watching another story about cops out of control and shooting unarmed people because they were a bunch of jumpy pussies the other day on the news and my 16YO son used the term "scumbag cop" . Made me so proud.
Don't feed the troll;)

do you have a link for that story? interested to read it, as most of the time ...the person was being stupid.

You are teaching your son to be a richard .....sad!!!

I know your'e a troll but...

You can be stupid without being summarily executed. The job of the police is to haul people in to face justice. Its not their job to meter out justice as they see fit on the street. If they can't handle that without over reacting and killing people willy nilly then they need to face justice themselves or at the very minimum find a job more suited to their abilities as a human and stop being a public payroll parasite..

I know your'e a troll but...

You can be stupid without being summarily executed. The job of the police is to haul people in to face justice. Its not their job to meter out justice as they see fit on the street. If they can't handle that without over reacting and killing people willy nilly then they need to face justice themselves or at the very minimum find a job more suited to their abilities as a human and stop being a public payroll parasite..
troll? why cause i called you on your BS....You didn't post that story as it isn't true ....but i appreciate your tenacious attempt. Good day Sir !

I remember once when I got pulled over and ticketed for "riding without eye protection" for stopping at a stop light and raising the visor on my helmet to let some air it when it was 104 degrees. I was a dick. I called that officer everything but officer because he was most certainly a total and complete douchebag. I'm a dick sometimes and no one who's ever pulled me over ever felt they were getting respected. Still not going to show you my permit unless you ask for it and my carrying a gun isnt your business either.

Seriously. Remaining silent is my best option :) .
they gave you a ticket for that ? now , that i agree is complete and utter BS

troll? why cause i called you on your BS....You didn't post that story as it isn't true ....but i appreciate your tenacious attempt. Good day Sir !

Which story? Theres a good one or two a week of a police officer shooting an unarmed citizen.

How about that one in Florida where the autistic kid was playing with the toy and the cop shot his counselor who was laying on the ground with arms extended and following the commands of the officer? That scumbag cop.

Helping autistic man, black therapist shot by Florida police: media

Which story? Theres a good one or two a week of a police officer shooting an unarmed citizen.

How about that one in Florida where the autistic kid was playing with the toy and the cop shot his counselor who was laying on the ground with arms extended and following the commands of the officer? That scumbag cop.

you mean like the Missouri and Baltimore case, where after facts came out, the cops commited no crime. Or when the guy was reaching for his registration and his GF posted that video on Facebook and after facts came out in that case, the guy was no saint and acted like a complete fool....Yea, Florida one, i'm waiting till the evidence is released........

baton rouge, that guy signed his own death warrant, had he not reached for that gun, he would have lived.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top