JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After the police shooting of the guy back East who had a CPL, well, I thought I would say a few words here about how to carry your CPL.

First off I'd like to say that I have been stopped by a LEO while I was carrying and after a few tense moments, everything went well for me and my Bride. I'll also mention that at that particular point in time my best CPL was the Badge I was wearing on my belt in plain view.

If I hadn't been carrying a Badge at the time I still feel I would have been OKay. The main reason, I think that it would have been OKay is because I have always carried my CPL(I've had one since '71) in my front shirt pocket and not tucked away in my back pocket - as in next to my sidearm. Just the act of reaching into his back pocket is what I figure got the fellow killed. I have made a few traffic stops in my time and all of them went off without a shooting but a number of them did end up in the arrest of the guy or gal in the car. I have been stopped both before and after that stop but using the CPL in my front pocket has always been a plus for me.

Please, think about putting your CPL into your front shirt pocket and NOT in your back pocket, next to your sidearm!!!:):):)

What if your shirt doesn't have a pocket - most of mine don't.

When I wear a jacket, it's inside an inner jacket pocket, where a shoulder holster would land.

My rule is this - if I'm stopped, window partially down, both hands on the wheel and no moving until directed to do so. If asked for my license, I first tell them where it is so they know where I'll be reaching and only do it once they tell me to, keeping the other hand on the wheel. Just as I was taught in my CHL class.

Sounds like a personal problem!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: All of mine do and carrying my CPL is one of the reasons that they do. I've done traffic stops on people who informed me that they were carrying and I was immediately "uncomfortable" but a little conversation ended my discomfort very quickly. I only drew my sidearm once when the guy decided to go for his rear pocket. And, yes, he was carrying his sidearm right next to that pocket.

If time allow, before they get to the window, I would have my DL and CHL ready to go, and I just give them both. I would think, by a pretty wide margin, if an officer knew they were dealing with a CHL/CPL holder, that they would have much less to be concerned about. As I understand it, issues with CHL/CPL holders are very rare.

I take it you are, or used to be, a cop? So tell me what's wrong with keeping your hands in sight and simply telling the officer, "I have a concealed carry permit and I have a gun, it's <insert location here>, what would you like me to do?" Then waiting for instructions.

like my DL, credit card.... the last place I will carry my CHL is someplace easily accessible. Hands on the wheel, let the officer know where everything is and ask him what I can do to make him comfortable and assure his safety.

I take it you are, or used to be, a cop? So tell me what's wrong with keeping your hands in sight and simply telling the officer, "I have a concealed carry permit and I have a gun, it's <insert location here>, what would you like me to do?" Then waiting for instructions.
Yes, I was a LEO for many years. Including as a Deputy Sheriff, Corrections Officer, Bailiff(in a Military Courts-Martial), a City Policeman, a Fisheries Patrol Officer(working for BIA) and a Rent-a-Cop at Sea-Tac in the early '70s.

Your "Then waiting for instructions." is the best idea. Personally, I wouldn't be digging around in any pockets or other places looking for my DL and/or CPL. :)

I am not required by law in Washington to notify the police that I have a gun therefore I do not notify the police I have a gun. Problem solved.

Stopped carrying a wallet in my back pocket 20 some odd years ago.

Bad for your back if you drive a lot.

Cargo pants generally for me in the front pocket.

I've found when dealing with police (other then cooperatively on the job) it's best to just sit tight and act like a child does:
- don't speak unless spoken too
- ask before you do anything

I just don't mention my gun unless there is a reason for it and that's worked well so far.

Stopped carrying a wallet in my back pocket 20 some odd years ago.

Bad for your back if you drive a lot.

Cargo pants generally for me in the front pocket.

I've found when dealing with police (other then cooperatively on the job) it's best to just sit tight and act like a child does:
- don't speak unless spoken too
- ask before you do anything

I just don't mention my gun unless there is a reason for it and that's worked well so far.

In Oregon, as I've long understood it, your CHL is tied to your ODL. So once they run your ODL, it is likely they'll know you have your CHL, which means they'll be coming back to the car asking if you're carrying. I know folks feel different ways about this issue, personally, I find handing my CHL over with my ODL has worked well. Then following the directions, slowly and specifically.

As to digging in my pockets - I don't dig into anything while the officer is walking to the car - but if I can get to my wallet (which I carry in different places depending on what I'm wearing) before he gets out of the car, I'll try to have my ID ready to go.

Either way, I've never had an issue when stopped while carrying. YMMV ;)

I tend to pull my wallet out of my back pocket prior to the officer reaching the car I then have the wallet in my hand with both hands on the wheel or window sill.

As I carry a very small pistol in a wallet type holster behind my very thin nylon billfold even if I did reach for it the officer would never be able to see the pistol.

I do inform the officer that I am carrying If I am in fact carrying as the first thing I say when he approches I do not use the word gun. I state officer I want you to know I have a carry permit and my weapon is in my back pocket. HOW would you like me to proceed? Never had a problem.

I was pulled over the other night in the middle of farm country in a Dump truck about 5 miles south of Dayton. The OSP officer pulled me over for having my rather bright Fog/running lights on and of course doing 65 mph. He walked up to the pass side of the truck. I had to reach over and unlock the door. As he stepped up on the step I commented about how they (trucks) are hard to get in from the right side. I then opened my wallet to pull out my license and med card. He saw my CHL as I keep it on the top in the windowed pocket. He asked if I had a weapon. I stated no not at work. That was the end of it. He was nice enough to not give me a speeding ticket and instead changed the stop to a truck inspection. Which my truck with less then 10K on the clock passed I signed the inspection report and promised not to get in such a hurry even at 3am in the middle of no where.

Every time I've ever been pulled over, I've had my license, registration and proof of insurance out before the LEO gets to my window. I know the drill, as I believe most of us do and thus no reason to be digging in my pockets.

For the most part, if I get pulled over, I know why (I kinda drive a little fast at times), so I have no reason to be a dick to the LEO and unless said LEO decides he does, it's a pretty easy transaction. Also, like a caveman once said....

If they don't ask I don't tell.... simple as that...

Ray

I haven't been pulled over since 1999, and that was in Kansas. I was driving a rental car with a temporary sticker in the back window. Highway Patrol pulled me over as it was dusk and he couldn't read the temporary sticker (or so he said). I had my drivers license out, and both hands on the steering wheel when he reached the passenger side door. When I said it was a rental he asked for the rental agreement.

I told him in was in the glove box with an unloaded pistol, and asked him if he wanted me to retrieve the rental agreement. He said 'you can get it out, slowly.' I leaned across the front seat slowly, and with my right hand on the passenger seat, opened the glovebox with my left hand and withdrew the rental agreement.

Even though he could see the butt of the pistol, with no magazine, he asked me me if he could check it out. I said 'sure.' As he removed the pistol the patrolman said 'ah, a Glock 22 long slide.' Then he took a step away from the car and aimed the pistol at a field of sunflowers beside the freeway. As he stepped back and returned my pistol to the glovebox, alongside the two magazines, he said 'always wondered about the longer sight picture.' Then he patted the roof of the car and said 'have a good evening' before walking back to his car.

For short trips around town I carry my wallet in my left side back pocket; so I don't inadvertently expose my cc pistol at 4 o'clock. On longer trips I take my wallet out of my back pocket and either carry it in my shirt pocket or put it on the console between the front seats.

When I wear a jacket, it's inside an inner jacket pocket, where a shoulder holster would land.

My rule is this - if I'm stopped, window partially down, both hands on the wheel and no moving until directed to do so. If asked for my license, I first tell them where it is so they know where I'll be reaching and only do it once they tell me to, keeping the other hand on the wheel. Just as I was taught in my CHL class.
Holy shyt y'all live in fear.
I act like a normal human being and have never had any issues what so ever.
NEVER has my permit been an issue
And yes there had been many times I have been pulled over.
All yalls need to relax.
THIS IS A NON ISSUE......and always will be if you make it that way.

Holy shyt y'all live in fear.
I act like a normal human being and have never had any issues what so ever.
NEVER has my permit been an issue
And yes there had been many times I have been pulled over.
All yalls need to relax.
THIS IS A NON ISSUE......and always will be if you make it that way.

Who said anything about fear? I don't fear the cops, never have, in fact I know a number and they are good folks. I simply act in a respectful manner and expect to get respect in return. Speaking only for myself, it's worked out that way.

I'm not sure why some folks interpret acting respectfully and keeping them informed as a sign of fear.

Last Edited:
They get informed about everything they need to be informed about that is pertinent to the traffic stop. If I am speeding, which I often do, and I get pulled over I roll down the window and hand the officer my license, registration, and proof of insurance. Those are the documents that are pertinent to the traffic stop. Occasionally the officer says " Do you know why I pulled you over?" to which i reply either "Yes" or "Because thats your job" and for me that is the end of the conversation. I have the right to remain silent and I prefer to exercise that right as often as possible in my dealings with the police. I am not getting pulled over so officer friendly can meet a new acquaintance. Officer friendly is pulling me over to take money out of my pocket. I don't consider officer friendly to be much more than a common thief in that respect. He'll get no help from me doing that or anything else.

Last Edited:
They get informed about everything they need to be informed about that is pertinent to the traffic stop. If I am speeding, which I often do, and I get pulled over I roll down the window and hand the officer my license, registration, and proof of insurance. Those are the documents that are pertinent to the traffic stop. Occasionally the officer says " Do you know why I pulled you over?" to which i reply either "Yes" or "Because thats your job" and for me that is the end of the conversation. I have the right to remain silent and I prefer to exercise that right as often as possible in my dealings with the police. I am not getting pulled over so officer friendly can meet a new acquaintance. Officer friendly is pulling me over to take money out of my pocket. He'll get no help from me doing that or anything else.

Speeding is a ''Self imposed'' tax. :s0140:

Well the tax collector isnt going to get any help from me. Nor is he going to get any information about anything not pertinent to his tax collection activity.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top