JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There may be (or apparently there is) people who have ccw permits that haven't figured out how to not unduly alarm an officer if/when they're informing them about the permit, but I think for most people, this is a non-issue and only has come up (again) because somebody went about things the wrong way.
I am surprised though that anybody does any digging around in their pockets or car before the officer comes to the window: roll down the window and keep your hands visible on the wheel, and don't reach for things until asked is what I've heard from LEO's for years; any moving around will raise suspicion. I'm not a do-gooder looking to kiss butt, but I expect the officer to be professional so I will meet them half way, and not create issues where there isn't any. It's common sense and not without the appropriate measure of self preservation of just staying out of trouble. Attitude always matters.
Yes, in Oregon, when they run your plate, your ccw will show up. And you're not required to volunteeer the information regarding your ccw, but must answer/produce the card when asked. I volunteer it as a sign of good faith, (especially since I know that they already know), and always tell the officer what I'm going to do before I reach for documents, etc. They have a tough job, are human, and can have bad days, and probably want to be done with business as much as me, so I keep it simple and straight forward. And, as is totally possible by anyone, if they screw up or things go sideways, I know I'm keeping my head together and playing it cool because I have nothing to prove and I don't care to spend time in jail, with lawyers and judges, or worse. If a cop sees that there is no big deal, they will usually respond as such.

Last Edited:
Sure give him the documents he has do,but that's it.
I ain't putting my hands out the window or on the steering wheel.
I am not a criminal. I just maybe drove bad.
If I was drunk and stupid enough to drive, I alway gave them the correct documents and nothing else.
I'm not afeered of them and not stooping to POS levels to make them comfertable
They can get another job if they're *skeered* (spell check sucks)
Just my opinion.

Last Edited:
Surprised no one mentioned that the guy who got shot did *not* have a CPL.... (and did not stop reaching when he was told to (gun on his lap in video))

Anyway, IF, and i stress *IF*, you can get your wallet etc out before the officer exits his cruiser, sure, go for it.
Otherwise, nothing wrong with just sitting there normally and waiting for them to come up.

IDGAS about people not wanting to be pleasant/nice and getting their panties in a twist about doing so. I appreciate them doing their job and how hard it is, it doesn't matter if they chose it, if i can do something to stop them going so far as fearing for their life, i will do so. I am not a dick.

Surprised no one mentioned that the guy who got shot did *not* have a CPL.... (and did not stop reaching when he was told to (gun on his lap in video))
I'd like to read more about that if you have a link, I have not heard he had a gun on his lap nor that he did not have a CPL.

Local 'Sherf' stated they had not issued one to him, doesn't mean he didn't have one from somewhere else, but all evidence (although not conclusive) points to him not having one.

The Facebook live video thingy showed the gun on his lap, just sticking out a little.

I carry my CHL's in my billfold. Never had a problem, personal or otherwise and never been nervous about dealing with a LEO.

I get my window down, then it's both hands on the wheel! He'll tell me what he wants, when he does I'll slowly comply, explaining what I'm doing before I do it! It's not my job to make cops nervous. I'm not nervous and trust me, they can tell if you are nervous!
My job is one half of getting our business done and both going home.
That idiot that got himself shot and killed the other day! Wow!
Officer says show me your hands, I'm not going to start blathering and trying to tear my way into my fn pocket for my permit! Some folks are just over emotional and stupid! They'll see my permit, if necessary my lawyer will show it to them!
IM FREEZING!!!

I carry it with my D.L. in my wallet. The differences in how to conduct your self during a stop could have something to do with how long a person has had a carry permit.

When i got mine back in the early 90s the instructor told the class to keep hands on the wheel and let the officer know that you have a carry permit as well as let them know weather or not you are carrying and the location.

I carry it with my D.L. in my wallet. The differences in how to conduct your self during a stop could have something to do with how long a person has had a carry permit.

When i got mine back in the early 90s the instructor told the class to keep hands on the wheel and let the officer know that you have a carry permit as well as let them know weather or not you are carrying and the location.
Well in my case my carry permit has nothing to do with how I conduct myself.
See my point?
Non issue,nada.
Oh,I've had my carry permit since the 80's

Well in my case my carry permit has nothing to do with how I conduct myself.
See my point?
Non issue,nada.
Oh,I've had my carry permit since the 80's

I do see your point. I was not referring to any one post. Just a thought that i have had that maybe the way the classes are taught have changed.

Even before I had a CPL, I just rolled down the window and put my hands on the steering wheel. No reason really, except it was comfortable. Wait for the cop to tell me what they want, then hand over DL, proof of insurance, registration, since 1990 it also includes my CPL. When asked if I'm carrying, I tell them yes and where. Regardless if I get a ticket or not (I am always at fault LOL!), I still tell them to have a great and safe day.

Maybe because I'm a "yes sir", "no sir", "yes ma'am", "no ma'am", "thank you", "please" kind of person I just don't seem to have problems with law enforcement. Besides, the faster we can both be safely on our way the better.

I suppose knowing I was at fault to begin with and expect the cops to do their jobs (yes even when it's me) makes it easier for me. Then, when I only get a warning, maybe a mini-lecture which we both know is just business not personal, I feel pretty good about things. Like winning another whole dollar for your dollar lottery ticket, not a big thing but better than losing and nice none the less.

This isn't directed at anyone, just my opinion and it seems to work for me. Maybe that's the key, find what comfortably works for you, understand what the cops go through and both us and the cops can get it wrapped up.

Mike

Oh, forgot the original question DOH! I carry my CPL in my wallet (left back pocket) along with my DL, NRA card, SAF card, etc.

Last Edited:
CHL is carried right behind my DL in the window pocket of my wallet, typically right rear pocket, right by my trusty sidearm (who shall go unnamed). However, when I'm driving it's usually in the console with my cell phone.

As for how I'd handle a traffic stop, documents would be out and in my hand before the officer was out of his car. He already knows I have a CHL cause he's already run my plates. No need to play games.

I'll make this as easy an interaction as possible, cause I want us both to go home to our families unscathed.

I've been pulled over twice while carrying.
If I get pulled over I already have my wallet in hand already and unless it's raining I have my hands out the window. Hand them my ID. IF they ask I tell them I have a firearm and my wallet is already in hand to get out my CPL.
All while my hands are outside the vehicle.
Both times I was pulled over they asked if I had a weapon, I said yes and told them where it was.
Never had any tense or had attitudes from LEOs they were always really nice and welcoming.

I was surprised he was so pleasant actually.
I beleive both times were Oregon State Troopers around the Madras area.

I keep mine in my wallet. Then if I'm ever asked I recite my Drivers license number and say I'm not reaching for my wallet because that's where my pistol is. That is of course if I'm walking. If I'm driving my wallet is in the cubby by the shifter.

I don't get questioned while walking around.... stop and frisk doesn't happen to white people... not.. only once was I asked for ID and that's when I was young and ignorant. Now days you better be accusing me if I'm walking around with my wallet in my pocket...

I've been trying to remember the last time I was stopped by the police.

Must be at least 40 years ago.

Perhaps you folks should think about your driving habits?

I was pulled over west of Lakeview Tuesday on my scooter, returning from a 5000 mile trip to Chicago and back. My xds 9mm in my jeans pocket. I turned off the engine, put it on the side stand, flipped my helmet faces held and placed my hands on top of my mirrors.
When the trooper approached he asked me to remove
my helmet. I calmly informed him I was legally carrying a concealed weapon. He asked where it was, and where my ID was. I provided my ID and both licenses ( Or and Ut). He told me he was recording, and that he got me doing 72 in a 55 zone, which I said was true, with no excuses. He checked me out, gave me a warning, and left.

I know some refuse to inform Leo's that they are carrying, and that is certainly their right. I choose to be upfront about it, and in this case, it seemed to work well. In these trying times, I see little benefit to being a right fighter during a traffic stop. Just sayin'...

I was pulled over west of Lakeview Tuesday on my scooter, returning from a 5000 mile trip to Chicago and back. My xds 9mm in my jeans pocket. I turned off the engine, put it on the side stand, flipped my helmet faces held and placed my hands on top of my mirrors.
When the trooper approached he asked me to remove
my helmet. I calmly informed him I was legally carrying a concealed weapon. He asked where it was, and where my ID was. I provided my ID and both licenses ( Or and Ut). He told me he was recording, and that he got me doing 72 in a 55 zone, which I said was true, with no excuses. He checked me out, gave me a warning, and left.

I know some refuse to inform Leo's that they are carrying, and that is certainly their right. I choose to be upfront about it, and in this case, it seemed to work well. In these trying times, I see little benefit to being a right fighter during a traffic stop. Just sayin'...

Its not a matter of refusing to notify. Its just not anything to do with a traffic stop. I dont notify them I have hemorhoids either.

Its not a matter of refusing to notify. Its just not anything to do with a traffic stop. I dont notify them I have hemorhoids either.
In Oregon they know you have a permit when they run your plate. I figure it costs me nothing to be respectful to someone doing a difficult job. Apparently your view differs. Good luck on your next stop.

In Oregon they know you have a permit when they run your plate. I figure it costs me nothing to be respectful to someone doing a difficult job. Apparently your view differs. Good luck on your next stop.

Drivers license , Insurance card and Registration. Thats all they'll get from me. They want anything more than that theyre going to have to read me my rights and wait for my lawyer to show up. Ive got all the time in the world.

For what it's worth in Washington if asked by a LEO, you are required by law to produce your CPL.
(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so.

No profit in being a hard case about it, it'll only go harder for you, but to each their own.

I prefer to cooperate and go home instead of the precinct house. :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top