JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
At a ten item max, best to stay put or have caches within a maximum radius of exploration.
But, what ten items i would not take from my bag?
10) Snacks/mre/food
9) plastic sheeting/tarp
8) cordage/rope/twine
7) bicycle tube patch kit (handy for fixing holes in boots/jackets/backpacks)
6) first aid kit
5) magnesium stick
4) the backpack itself
3) steel water bottle
2) 6 inch fixed blade knife
1) firearm of some variety, always at least a ccw, and if necessary a rifle in hand.

Last Edited:
who has tremendously GREAT experience with a smallish water straw/Grayl/etc device they would recommend?

I don't like the straws (IME they tend to be hard to draw thru and clog up), but I bought some of these based on reviews:

Sawyer Mini Water Filter

They work with a hydration bladder (with adapters) and you can use them with the collapsible bottle.

First off where am I surviving? If I have to walk across Gresham and Portland to safety I'll want very different items then if I am stuck 40 miles SE of Wagontire as well as the middle of the High Cascades. Granted I might not have a choice once I am there but I could certainly chose what I take in.

The first 3 or 4 things on my list will be multiple water filters, couple of pots, polarguard sleeping bag, nylon tarp. If I have any picks left, knife, some rope or cord, food.

Once everyone realizes they don't have a pot to boil water in, I'll be able to trade a pot for most of someone else's list. If everyone has a pot, I'll trade a filter for a bunch more things I want once the easy wood is burned up and folks start seeing loved ones dying from Cholera due to weakened and sick folks bubblegumting upstream. The realization that you have no antibiotics and no way to purify water will make the filters worth more than gold. Some of you folks might consider adding it to your list now, or you'll be grumbling later when I'm not sharing but holding out for a trade. Drinking unfiltered and unboiled water is voluntary these days. I watch my brother do it all the time in the high country and he's out and about a lot, and he hasn't been tagged yet and the first 140 mile walk I did with him on the Crest Trail was 45 years back and we both did it then, and I've seen him do it in the middle of the Himalayas as well. Simply dip a water bottle into a (or what appears to be a clean) stream and drink. He's usually way beyond civilization. And if it went bad, he'll simply go to the Dr and get antibiotics. Not an issue. For now.

Back when the folks came across the Oregon Trail, our ancestors mostly died due to bad water. Not Indians, not heat stroke, not starvation, Breakdowns etc. Bad water. They had no choice. We do.

Last Edited:
Haha, you're no fun:)

I was thinking that I'd just stay in my house unless it went real real bad. Like all those folks running around out there with their 10 items won't have toilet paper that I can see. We have everything here in the house. Over 20 coats, 5 axes, 3 machetes, 13 cooking knives, 20 hunting knives, 16 folding knives, multiple multi tools, @ 15 pots and pans, craploads of waterfilters, gas masks, headlamps, flashlights, clothes, soaps, a kings ransom of toilet paper- the super soft stuff too, 12 sleeping bags, multiple firearms, thousands of rounds for every caliber, bags of coffee, extra food all over everywhere etc.I suspect everyone looking to carry 10 items would have similar lists if they looked around their homes.

I'd want to pare that down to 10 items and leave all of that behind? Why ?

I have more than 15 items in my small get home bag.. But I will play along.

It's Washington, so I'm already wearing a water proof jacket and jeans. As well as waterproof walking friendly shoes.

1.Fixed blade knife with fire stone and compass
2. Pistol/mags
3. Food
4. Stainless waterbottle with water filter insert.
5. Wind up flashlight/radio with headphones
6. Rolled tarp around tent poles
7. Sleeping bag
8. E tool
9. First aid/toiletries zip lock
10. Map of Mason county.

Business idea:

Purchase large expanse of lan
9 guns and a crate of ammo.

Then I take everything everyone else has

Lol, this reminds me of the gentlemen who said he would hunt people with his thermal scoped SCAR and take what they had.

Not a route this thread needs to take and we can leave it at that. :)

I viewed the premise of only being 10 items silly from the start. This thread did make me think that a person who thinks they are going to be "bugging out" should first examine their overall physique and cardiovascular endurance. YouTube appears to be full of "bug out" peepers whose only exercise appears to be opening up another bag of chips and getting a drink out of the fridge.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top