JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One of the requirements Portland has that Seattle also has, is a duty to store the "belongings" of homeless people when they move them.
I worked for Seattle DOT, and unfortunately, the City chose our facility for the storage of bum detritus. Originally, our facility was somewhat unsecured, gates left open and the lobby door was always unlocked. For the first few weeks of the program, we had mentally ill harassing the ladies in the office, and drug users shooting up in the employee locker rooms and restrooms.
Eventually the City secured our facility and changed how the homeless picked up their detritus.

BTW, from what I could see, homeless "personal property" mostly seemed like stolen property to me.

The Heretic's link to those 2 stories mentioned that policy.....brings back a little "PTSD"

I bet I know who he votes for. He can't make the connection, tho. But wait, it's just "stuff", right? Insurance pays for it. Guess not.

Yeah. And then his insurance rates go sky high after the fourth claim or so, and he closes up and a pot shop goes in. But he'll keep voting the same! o_O

Sure. Potlandia pot shops are a double boon on a break in. Get some free weed and fresh cash for harder drug purchases. Who wouldn't want that. And the bead/hair braided jewelry shops generate soooo much revenue , they'll move Potlandia forward.

With regard to bike shop boy. To even express any amount of empathy toward "the tough" job that the city council and city commission have is ludicrous. These lovely folks brought this on with, I'm betting bike boy's full support in both action and vote, Along with rei and their managers and employees and shoppers. Im betting it was all celebrated in a big beautiful pot smoke filled kumba ya circle every evening. Now they stand around with slack jawed RCA dog cocked head expressions on their faces completely unable or unwilling to make the immediate connection between their actions and now their results. Play stupid games. Win stupid prizes.

At this point, if one still runs/opens a business in Potland, they deserve what they get. Either leave that dump to the sketchbags or don't wine about what follows. Likewise, when the city has no businesses left and is one big junkie/drunk/insane asylum camp have fun with that tax revenue.

The crime is already spreading to other areas. I live on the border of Tigard and Beaverton about a mile from Washington Square. Mostly single family homes and some townhouses in the area. It has always been a safe, low crime neighborhood. I have not seen any homeless encampments in the area. However the liquor store in the small strip mall on the corner of Sholls Ferry and Hall, had its front door covered in plywood. The said attempted break in. Two weeks later the small store/deli a few doors down had its front window covered in plywood. A friend works at the Safeway on Murry Blvd off Sholls Ferry. He said there has been a huge increase in late night shoplifters rolling their full shopping carts out the door without paying. These are not homeless people just lifting a case of beer either. With the Walmart's, REI, Nike, and others closing Portland stores, the criminal's will need to expand their territory. So, it is all coming to a neighborhood near you soon.

I updated my home alarm system and added cameras. Also installed motion activated outdoor lights. But, my dog is still the best alarm system I could have. :D

Last Edited:
I updated my home alarm system and added cameras. Also installed motion activated outdoor lights. But, my dog is still the best alarm system I could have. :D
I don't think the cameras and alarms are much of a deterrent in a society that doesn't punish criminals but the dog can at least give them a parting gift. I think if I were in your situation I might invest in another large dog.

I don't think the cameras and alarms are much of a deterrent in a society that doesn't punish criminals
You are right. They come prowling wearing hoodies and masks and don't care about the cameras as they know they will be long gone before the cops ever show up, IF they even do. The cops told the Safeway by us to not even bother calling for shoplifters as they are not staffed and won't be able to send an officer to assist.
Management told the staff not to physically confront or attempt to detain the shoplifters as the cost of covering their injuries by far exceeds the value of the grocery cart contents. The criminals know this.

We are retired and home most of the time. My adult son lives with us. The outdoor cameras sense motion and send an alert to our cell phones. That lets me know to flip the safety off on the shotgun. If they get near the house the dog goes off and they hear him.
I am not overly worried about it. I just take to steps to try and be prepared in the unlikely event that something happens. That is all we can do.

You are right. They come prowling wearing hoodies and masks and don't care about the cameras as they know they will be long gone before the cops ever show up, IF they even do. The cops told the Safeway by us to not even bother calling for shoplifters as they are not staffed and won't be able to send an officer to assist.
Management told the staff not to physically confront or attempt to detain the shoplifters as the cost of covering their injuries by far exceeds the value of the grocery cart contents. The criminals know this.

We are retired and home most of the time. My adult son lives with us. The outdoor cameras sense motion and send an alert to our cell phones. That lets me know to flip the safety off on the shotgun. If they get near the house the dog goes off and they hear him.
I am not overly worried about it. I just take to steps to try and be prepared in the unlikely event that something happens. That is all we can do.
All you need to do is be a harder target then the neighbors or not be worth the risk. A lot of criminals are lazy and a good dog will keep them on the street and not in your yard.

The good thing though folks, is that Portland, the only remaining major city that hasn't implemented police body cameras will do so.. in the year 2050.

Lulz, pretty much

I absolutely don't understand the decision process to invest in these places anymore. Who the heck thinks opening up an expensive, new business in a pnw cesspool is a better idea than other places? Is it a delusion of more revenue from more customers? Does that outweigh the cost of operations in that location? Do the people making these decisions not see the conditions?

I live in a very nice pnw city, we have a speedway going through town to one of the busiest ferry terminal in the state. There's so much undeveloped property on the speedway, we even have new traffic signals to undeveloped areas. Nobody develops here. I think they've lost their minds, a Trader Joe's, Shake Shack, Chick fil A, would do killer business for people driving by to take a ferry. But, these developers decide to open in a decrepit zombieland. Okay?

I absolutely don't understand the decision process to invest in these places anymore. Who the heck thinks opening up an expensive, new business in a pnw cesspool is a better idea than other places? Is it a delusion of more revenue from more customers? Does that outweigh the cost of operations in that location? Do the people making these decisions not see the conditions?

I live in a very nice pnw city, we have a speedway going through town to one of the busiest ferry terminal in the state. There's so much undeveloped property on the speedway, we even have new traffic signals to undeveloped areas. Nobody develops here. I think they've lost their minds, a Trader Joe's, Shake Shack, Chick fil A, would do killer business for people driving by to take a ferry. But, these developers decide to open in a decrepit zombieland. Okay?
I'm sure government policy has nothing to do with actual business decisions.

Meanwhile,

I'm sure government policy has nothing to do with actual business decisions.

Meanwhile,

Yeah, I wonder if the local government makes development too difficult....

"If workers really preferred to go to the office, companies wouldn't have to force them to," says Jacob Vigdor, an economist with the University of Washington Evans School of Public Policy who follows state and local job markets. "That's a fundamental starting point here."

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top