JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My wife decided she might like us to move to Vancouver, WA. I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen, I want to move to ID/MT/WY/AZ/NV.

But that brings up the question, is Vancouver turning into Portland? Or is it night and day when you cross the Columbia River?

Washington has gone full retard on gun laws. Vantucky is much nicer than Potland, especially the new waterfront downtown area. No income tax.

If you can get past the draconian gun laws, it's better than Potland. That said, Oregon is right behind Washington saying, "hold my beer".

Before the WA gun law debacle, I would have agreed. Living in Vancouver and being able to buy things in OR is the best of both worlds. That's still the case, but the gun laws have seriously soured that arrangement. I'm moving back to the PNW in the fall. If we end up in WA, I'm going to have to leave 90% of my collection with my Dad in Hillsboro...

Fear anyone..? I love livin in the city.."
Spent my whole life in the city,
Where junk is king and the air smells bubblegumty.
People pukin' everywhere.
Piles of blood, scabs and hair.
Bodies wasted in the street,
People dyin' on the street,
But the suburban scumbags, they don't care,
Just get fat and dye their hair! "
That about sums up both sheet holes.

I lived in Camas from '08-'10. It was much quieter and cheaper than Vancouver, plus a simple commute along 14 into Vancouver for work.

I would suggest looking in Camas or Washougal. You can get out of the concrete jungle that is most of what Vancouver consists of.

I spent much of my childhood in Vancouver before moving to OR and it seemed very much a "working class" town compared to the west side of Portland (where my family ended up moving to). I remember 15 years ago Vancouver people balked at the idea of extending light rail into their city for fear it would bring crime, and I recall thinking "as if Vantucky is so nice!". Turns out they were right after all, but just ahead of time. My impression is Vancouver largely got better (or at least developed nicer areas) while Portland has pretty much universally gotten worse.

My impression is Vancouver largely got better (or at least developed nicer areas) while Portland has pretty much universally gotten worse.
Is it likely that many folks from Portland have relocated to Vancouver, to get away from Portland?

Is it likely that many folks from Portland have relocated to Vancouver, to get away from Portland?
Certainly possible, perhaps likely. According to the Portland Business Journal, Portland's population had a net decrease of 18,000 people between 2020 and 2022, meanwhile Vancouver's population increased during the same period.

I suspect some have moved to get away from Portland, including issues which are increasingly common adverse occurrences highlighted in the news, and/or harder to ignore in recent years, but often the move is based on the lack of income tax in WA.

Politics and taxes aside, there are both reasonably nice and not so great areas in both Portland and Vancouver. For many, where you choose to live in either area can be influenced by financial means.

I'd suggest spending some time anywhere you are considering moving if possible, before taking the plunge.

Portland is turning into Vancouver. Vancouver is an older town than Portland.

Vancouver is a crap hole, just like Portland.

Certainly possible, perhaps likely. According to the Portland Business Journal, Portland's population had a net decrease of 18,000 people between 2020 and 2022, meanwhile Vancouver's population increased during the same period.
It's true, I've lived in Vancouver all my life, born and raised. I only left for the army and spent some time with friends in Portland after I got back.

They all left Portland because Vancouver was so much better. But they brought their leftist politics that made Portland a S-Hole.

Unfortunately, my family is here, and my mother watches my kid. So it becomes hard for me to move away, as I can find work. But having that support is hard to give up. Or I'd be moving to more firearm friendly state (Firearms Engineer and part time gunsmith, and background in Sales/Marketing so I can work anywhere)

Last Edited:
It sounds like you don't care about WA gun laws.
I do care, but right now I just want to know about Vancouver. Think of it like, I have to move to somewhere in Washington; or like I'm already in Washington. In either of those two examples, it doesn't matter to me what the Washington gun laws are in Vancouver, because it's no different from where I will be if I don't move to Vancouver.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top