JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
RIA has a lifetime warranty with no attitude. Have you sent a Dan Wesson back recently? I had to call Dave Severns to get help on telling them what they did wrong and how to fix it. The service manager twit was trying to tell me metal shavings inside my 1911 was "within spec". Eventually they fixed it but it wasn't cool and the attitude was elitist and horrible.

Right now I have a glock 20 which I love. Next 10mm will be a RIA while I learn the ropes with it then the final flavor will be a Springfield custom shop gun.

Wow, that sounds a lot like my story. Got the DW RZ, sent back for some issues. Not too pleased w/DW service or 'Gary'. Got it back, worked fine but lost all faith in DW. Wanted a long slide, got the RIA, loved it, ordered a full custom from SA which will be here next month (yay, 13 months wait is almost over!). Sold the RIA and the DW. I actually had some issues w/the RIA, wasn't as accurate as it should have been. Tried a bunch of loads finally got a hold of them. Sent it back, got a brand new replacement that shot awesome. They agreed the original didn't shoot well, I had heard they had some barrel issues early on. I wasn't going to bother sending it back then someone encouraged me to which resulted in a new gun. Granted it wasn't a DW but honestly only cost me about $300 less. Replaced no questions asked is outstanding customer service. That was after about 8 months and probably 6-700 rnds through it. DW's attitude is 'you get what you get and don't throw a fit' (from my kids pre-school teach).

I thought I wanted a bunch of 10mm's. Unlike some of my other calibers, 10mm for me is to be loaded up hot. If I want to shoot soft guns I have plenty of 45's, 9's, 38's, etc. And will shoot reduced loads in those but not 10mm. I want a 10 that will run 100% w/stout loads and last a long time. The problem I ran into is working up a load for 4 different chambers. One load may work great in one gun but show pressure signs in another. Working up a cartridge OAL is more cumbersome w/multiple guns. I found one of my chambers was deforming the brass, sort of a Glock smile. At the end of the day I decided to keep 2, one being a 1006 which I don't shoot that much the other the SA. I found 10mm to be a picky cartridge to run 100% out of a 1911, there are things to do to make them run but in my case I only want to do that to 1 1911.

Wow, that sounds a lot like my story. Got the DW RZ, sent back for some issues. Not too pleased w/DW service or 'Gary'. Got it back, worked fine but lost all faith in DW. Wanted a long slide, got the RIA, loved it, ordered a full custom from SA which will be here next month (yay, 13 months wait is almost over!). Sold the RIA and the DW. I actually had some issues w/the RIA, wasn't as accurate as it should have been. Tried a bunch of loads finally got a hold of them. Sent it back, got a brand new replacement that shot awesome. They agreed the original didn't shoot well, I had heard they had some barrel issues early on. I wasn't going to bother sending it back then someone encouraged me to which resulted in a new gun. Granted it wasn't a DW but honestly only cost me about $300 less. Replaced no questions asked is outstanding customer service. That was after about 8 months and probably 6-700 rnds through it. DW's attitude is 'you get what you get and don't throw a fit' (from my kids pre-school teach).

I thought I wanted a bunch of 10mm's. Unlike some of my other calibers, 10mm for me is to be loaded up hot. If I want to shoot soft guns I have plenty of 45's, 9's, 38's, etc. And will shoot reduced loads in those but not 10mm. I want a 10 that will run 100% w/stout loads and last a long time. The problem I ran into is working up a load for 4 different chambers. One load may work great in one gun but show pressure signs in another. Working up a cartridge OAL is more cumbersome w/multiple guns. I found one of my chambers was deforming the brass, sort of a Glock smile. At the end of the day I decided to keep 2, one being a 1006 which I don't shoot that much the other the SA. I found 10mm to be a picky cartridge to run 100% out of a 1911, there are things to do to make them run but in my case I only want to do that to 1 1911.
Great post !

re: DW: I'm 6+ years into a CBOB, which has been trouble free and one of my favorite 1911s of all time;

re: 10mm loadings:
while I agree in theory with 'hot loads' for the caliber, I've migrated to 'mission specific' performance...which in my current use is accuracy for bowling pin competition. Oddly enough, regardless of how accurate a load I develop for practice sessions, on match day my own performance often sucks.

At one point I had a 180g poly-coated load that put 8 rounds into a peach-pit sized space within my bowling pin silhouette at 50'. Match day however, something changed.

As it has with all my 10mm loads. Whether recipe is upper/lower/middle, or 155/165/180g lead or plated, 'performance anxiety' or whatever mucks up my pin game.

I can do 45 acp or other big bore far more accurately at match time if too slowly, than with 10mm...whether auto OR revolver.

This is awesome! If I drive 88 mph and somehow get hit with 1.2 jigawatts, I will most likely appear on your doorstep!

This is awesome! If I drive 88 mph and somehow get hit with 1.2 jigawatts, I will most likely appear on your doorstep!

Coolio, always into a drop by for some chootin' :)

Tonight it was the Super Redhawk, finally got it scoped. Thought it was shooting great, about 1" @ 20 yds though the a last group started stringing left just a tad, figured it was me. Swung out the cylinder to empty the last shots and when I closed it I noticed it was pretty rattly. I had tightened up the scope mounts really well but had only hand tightened the rings to the gun. Too big of a hurry to get outside and shoot. Well, I'll be doubly impressed next time I shoot it :)

re: DW: I'm 6+ years into a CBOB, which has been trouble free and one of my favorite 1911s of all time;

re: 10mm loadings:
while I agree in theory with 'hot loads' for the caliber, I've migrated to 'mission specific' performance...which in my current use is accuracy for bowling pin competition. Oddly enough, regardless of how accurate a load I develop for practice sessions, on match day my own performance often sucks.

At one point I had a 180g poly-coated load that put 8 rounds into a peach-pit sized space within my bowling pin silhouette at 50'. Match day however, something changed.

As it has with all my 10mm loads. Whether recipe is upper/lower/middle, or 155/165/180g lead or plated, 'performance anxiety' or whatever mucks up my pin game.

I can do 45 acp or other big bore far more accurately at match time if too slowly, than with 10mm...whether auto OR revolver.
Love the CBOB, one of my favorites as well.

CBOBs are not 1911's and look rediculous

what design feature do you base your assertion on?
T.H.E. C.U.T. O.F.F. C.O.R.N.E.R T.H.A.T. M.A.K.E.S. I.T. A. C.B.O.B., what else?
I just don't like cbobs and they do not look like an original 1911.
That grip looks just fine on a m92 beretta
I don't care why someone does it or any reasons,just don't like it

Na na na na
NO
I'd been askin about the armscorp double stack 10 that is in MY reach at around 7-800 mark.
$3200 is more than I want to spend on transportation.
Believe me it's more than I intend to spend on a pistol but that does not make me stop seeing how nice it looks. I "could" certainly just go buy one if I wanted. Just will not unless of course I win the lotto. I plan to soon have a 10mm Rifle and after that the RIA will get pretty tempting.

For that $$ I wouldn't get a DW. Go full custom or Guncrafter, Nighthawk or Wilson. Anything over $3k and you should be speccing what you want on a gun not buying off the shelf. My full custom wasn't much more than that and I built it how I wanted.

re: 'cutoff' rendering 'not 1911'???
Disagree, as original 1911 had none of many features lavished upon it since nearly the beginning model. Such refinements as arched/flat main spring housing...one fits my hand and the other doesn't. I don't know whether 'my hand comfort' makes the break for what is/what ain't "1911".

Cropped corners as far as I can tell, have been a common custom option for at least the last 60 years.

Like sights you can actually see and/or adjust, the original 1911 didn't have 'em.

And while at first it seemed like a gimmick, handling then shooting the CBOB changed my opinion.

Whatever 'custom' may be in the eyes of the adoring owners, I for one celebrate the choices available.

If the CBOB didn't perform as well as it does on the firing line, or if it didn't handle/carry as well as it does, I wouldn't be interested either.

I recently had in hand an original lightweight 'Colt Commander' early 1950s version. Loved the feel of it, nearly bought it. Geezervision made the choice as the alterations required would have been unacceptable in my own notion of the 1911-ness.

Agree...."YMMV".

While not a fan of a 'bob' it's a stretch as mentioned above to strike it from the 1911 line simply for that mod. 41mag's got it right, most guys looking at a 1911 are not looking at the traditional 1911's. I for one like mil-spec but also like what they've grown into. As soon as you put an extended BT on one it's not 'traditional'. There are only a few companies offering a true mil-spec 1911, well, at least as 'true' as can be made now. All the other ones are 'modified' in some way or other. As far as mainsprings housings go (since mentioned), both arched and flat are traditional as well as short and longer triggers. A vs A1.

re: 'cutoff' rendering 'not 1911'???
Disagree, as original 1911 had none of many features lavished upon it since nearly the beginning model. Such refinements as arched/flat main spring housing...one fits my hand and the other doesn't. I don't know whether 'my hand comfort' makes the break for what is/what ain't "1911".

Cropped corners as far as I can tell, have been a common custom option for at least the last 60 years.

Like sights you can actually see and/or adjust, the original 1911 didn't have 'em.

And while at first it seemed like a gimmick, handling then shooting the CBOB changed my opinion.

Whatever 'custom' may be in the eyes of the adoring owners, I for one celebrate the choices available.

If the CBOB didn't perform as well as it does on the firing line, or if it didn't handle/carry as well as it does, I wouldn't be interested either.

I recently had in hand an original lightweight 'Colt Commander' early 1950s version. Loved the feel of it, nearly bought it. Geezervision made the choice as the alterations required would have been unacceptable in my own notion of the 1911-ness.

Agree...."YMMV".

This always seems to become the beating dead horse kind of thing with these. I've been enamored of the 1911 since the 60's. When I first started seeing some with "custom" stuff I soon fell in love. Of course in those days it was Smith work and EXPENSIVE. When some of the manufacturers started coming out with models that already had the stuff done it was the best thing since sliced bread to me. I soon would warn anyone "thinking 1911" to first think about extras. If they wanted them it was FAR cheaper to buy one with them there than to alacart them later. Other than the FLGR I never ran across one I did not like because it had things I would not have asked for. There are always those "purists" who want one just like the originals. One of those too each his own things.

I just got a G40 and it has much less felt recoil compared to my Sig and Kimber. A friend shot it today and couldn't believe it. He has a Kimber 10mm and is now going to get a G40.

I shot a buddys new G40MOD~whatever, the fancy red dot he installed equal in cost to the pistol itself. Unable to talk him out of it in fact.

Spent entire afternoon and nearly 200 rounds downrange.
G40 is a nice platform for the 10mm.

While I liked the configuration etc of the G40, I just don't shoot it well. Plus after all those efforts to get good trigger control/maximum accuracy, my trigger finger was sore.

I was unable to get 50% of the holes in a bowling pin sized paper target regardless of the other advantages of the G40, even with the fancy red dot sight.

As an old bulls eye shooter, I still recognize what 'combat accuracy' is vs 'target accuracy'. Having 15 rounds in "minute of cantaloupe" at 50 feet does not satisfy my needs as well as 7 rounds in "minute of plum" at 50 feet. Arguably, from a practical standpoint, there is little real difference I suppose.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top