JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I shot a buddys new G40MOD~whatever, the fancy red dot he installed equal in cost to the pistol itself. Unable to talk him out of it in fact.

Spent entire afternoon and nearly 200 rounds downrange.
G40 is a nice platform for the 10mm.

While I liked the configuration etc of the G40, I just don't shoot it well. Plus after all those efforts to get good trigger control/maximum accuracy, my trigger finger was sore.

I was unable to get 50% of the holes in a bowling pin sized paper target regardless of the other advantages of the G40, even with the fancy red dot sight.

As an old bulls eye shooter, I still recognize what 'combat accuracy' is vs 'target accuracy'. Having 15 rounds in "minute of cantaloupe" at 50 feet does not satisfy my needs as well as 7 rounds in "minute of plum" at 50 feet. Arguably, from a practical standpoint, there is little real difference I suppose.

This is my first red dot and it isn't for personal defense IMO, however for hunting and punching paper my old eyes like the dot. I bought a Vortex Viper for $214 shipped. G40.JPG

I like the G40MOS. A couple friends have them and yeah, good reflex sights can be expensive. But we all do it with our long guns, good scopes cost as much as the gun or more.

I'm in the camp that reflex sights are going to proliferate the handgun market hence forth. It's happening already. As with any relatively new technology there is a learning curve, IMO this one isn't that steep if you're willing to give them a chance. For a defensive weapon, yes and yes. That light on the rail will make the laser disappear but not a dot. If your already pretty good at instinctively drawing and being on target you still will be but now the dot will there instead of (or with) irons. If not, you need more practice anyway.

Back to the G40. I worried about the Glock barrels but you can get excellent aftermarket barrels. I'm not used to a striker trigger but there are also good triggers available. To make the 40 into the gun I'd like would cost a bit more than the initial investment and at the end of the day........it's still a Glock :) I don't discount them though, of all the Glocks the 40 is the only one I've really thought about buying.

Joken : the G34 with Fast Fire Burris looks a lot like this. Handsome setup.
I was on the fence and wanting a 34, but I kept telling myself I could hunt with the 10mm, although I probably never will. I have a couple other 10mm and may sell the P220

I laugh every time I see a guy buying a Glock 20 and a box of 10mm at Cabela's. I'm glad to see people getting into 10 because that will keep the cartridge around.

But I don't think you have to suffer with a Glock to enjoy 10mm. Maybe I'll try out one of those RIA 1911s. So far my s&w 1006 is fun to shoot but that slide mounted safety makes me twitch. The Sig p220 is just monstrous but shoots softly even with stout loads.

I laugh every time I see a guy buying a Glock 20 and a box of 10mm at Cabela's. I'm glad to see people getting into 10 because that will keep the cartridge around.

But I don't think you have to suffer with a Glock to enjoy 10mm. Maybe I'll try out one of those RIA 1911s. So far my s&w 1006 is fun to shoot but that slide mounted safety makes me twitch. The Sig p220 is just monstrous but shoots softly even with stout loads.

Shoot a G40 if you get a chance the recoil is surprisingly mild

The Sig p220 is just monstrous but shoots softly even with stout loads

don't have the other 220 to compare for size/weight; soft shooter, that's the design and physics. I think of the bigger monsters making 220-10 Sig almost trim & lithe;)
\
RIGGER PULL SA
4.4 lb (20 N)
BARREL LENGTH
5.0 in (127 mm)
OVERALL LENGTH
8.6 in (218 mm)
OVERALL WIDTH
1.5 in (38 mm)
HEIGHT
5.5 in (140 mm)
WEIGHT
39.4 oz (1117 g)
Details
The P220 Hunter is the ideal hunting pistol for medium sized game, whitetail, hogs and more in 10mm. Stainless steel single action only with Kryptec camo. Trinium fiber optic front sight benefits hunters in low light conditions.

I see the 220-45 variations run from 30+ to same 39+ oz. What's a full size 1911 scaling at?

I know most of the big bore revolvers are well over 40+ oz and no more aerodynamic....:D

Last Edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if it was soft shooting. When I picked up a g40mos at the gun store it was just too big for me.

Yea I'm not comparing the 220-10 to a desert eagle but the 220-10 is on the edge of too big for my taste.

I took a drive out to Sandy to RFF. They had a clean, used Glock G29 for $450 with 2 mags, case & ect. I stuck it on layaway. I'll pick it up next month.

Still thinking about the EEA polymer or RIA.

Don

Have you ever even shot a glock 10 mm? Hands too small?
There is nothing to endure in shooting a g20. Very nice gun to shoot. I have had probably 6? of them ,loved shooting all of them. Great accuracy to boot.
Not to mention they are about 2/3rds of the price of most other tens.
I have the armscorp 1911/10mm now but it was purely a test of the 10 in a 1911 not because I didn't like the g20. The price is close on both guns but the g20 gets more points for more rounds.
Recoil,as far as I'm concerned is pretty close to the same. Both guns are a joy to shoot.

I'm with you mjb, I have a Glock 29 and can shoot it all day. I don't think the recoil is all that much different from any of my other guns (9's and 45's) though it is a little louder ;). I love it. I am a recent owner of 10mm's but will be expanding that caliber in my collection. Next is the Sig P220.

Here is a new player in the 1911 10MM arena. Ruger I bought a SR1911 when they first came out and I still have it and like it a series 70 fire control. I expect this Ruger will be discounted from it's $1019 MSRP, GunBroker has them for $800

I've been pleased that with care/elbows on bench I can expect at least 'minute of bowling pin' from any of 5 loads in my own 220-10.....at least 80% of the time. Not so much open standing position.

Rather odd, I've recently confirmed that merely 'sitting' at firing line without no other 'bench rest' assist, my accuracy increases for <50' targets.

Recently acquired one of these (hard to find) and it is simply outstanding.
It's like an extra-fancy CZ. Not your typical production gun and not far from race-ready, if not already there.
Surprisingly soft shooting in 10mm.
$950 from Tooele Shooting Supply

Tanfo Stock III.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR