JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Common thought is max .4340 with the stock barrel, 21B is right there.

LW (Dasan) varies, my primary barrel measures .4300, and 21B produced .4303 @ 50deg with a 20lb spring.

I stop handloads between .4285 & .4290 with new Starline & CCI 300.

Sig Elite 180 measure .4291 in my primary LW w/ 24lb.

4K of pretty hot stuff and the G20 is "as new" :)
That's means nothing to me
If you talk inglish and like we is all stu pid it would be better

While you folks are talking 10mm.......

I have a few questions. I have a Glock 20SF. Should I buy a LW barrel for it? I reload for it and would like my brass to last. I usually use Hornady XTP or HAP 180gr. bullets with 10.0gr. of Blue Dot. Plus I wouldn't mind trying some hard cast lead loads.

Second, I thinking about a second 10mm gun. Not really wanting to spend $1000 right now. So I was looking into the EAA Polymer Witness. This thread got me looking into the RIA 1911s. Are there any others in the $500 - $750 price range?

Don

I have a few questions. I have a Glock 20SF. Should I buy a LW barrel for it? I reload for it and would like my brass to last. I usually use Hornady XTP or HAP 180gr. bullets with 10.0gr. of Blue Dot. Plus I wouldn't mind trying some hard cast lead loads.

Second, I thinking about a second 10mm gun. Not really wanting to spend $1000 right now. So I was looking into the EAA Polymer Witness. This thread got me looking into the RIA 1911s. Are there any others in the $500 - $750 price range?

Don
<broken link removed>

Don

I don't see 10gr of BD & 180gr causing any brass issues with the stock barrel, have you seen any smiles? What brass are you using?

Regarding cast, I'd get a sample pak of coated (SNS, Bayou, MBC, etc) and see what accuracy is like before investing in an aftermarket barrel.

Don
I can agree with Benchrest about rather you might need a barrel or not but they are pretty cheap,so you ain't out much to give it a try. And really how hard is it to change?

Come on! The 10mm is THE MOST POWERFUL BESTEST HANDGUN IN WORLD! Shooting anything less than NUCLEAR +P++P+ is an insult to the caliber!

:p

yup, this is the trap that got many guns to kaboom the fanboys just have to push the loads to the max. The 10 is known for its power but then the FBI watered it down so all the fanboys had to 'prove' it was not an overgrown 40S&W like so many who don't know better claim. In reality, all the 10mm is, is a semi auto equivalent of the 357 magnum... which that caliber never needed anyone to prove anything about, perhaps one of the best revolver calibers ever made.

I don't see 10gr of BD & 180gr causing any brass issues with the stock barrel, have you seen any smiles? What brass are you using?

Regarding cast, I'd get a sample pak of coated (SNS, Bayou, MBC, etc) and see what accuracy is like before investing in an aftermarket barrel.

Thanks for the reply. I use Starline brass when I buy new. No I haven't seen any smiles. Its just every time I see Glocks, 10mm & reloading discussed the subject comes up. I'm fairly new to reloading, a few years but not much in the last year. I was thinking more along the line of cast bullets. Hadn't considered the coated ones. You are referring to the powder coated (polymer) ones available in different colors. And trying them in the stock barrel, correct?

Thanks for the reply. I use Starline brass when I buy new. No I haven't seen any smiles. Its just every time I see Glocks, 10mm & reloading discussed the subject comes up. I'm fairly new to reloading, a few years but not much in the last year. I was thinking more along the line of cast bullets. Hadn't considered the coated ones. You are referring to the powder coated (polymer) ones available in different colors. And trying them in the stock barrel, correct?

Correct. Most companies use the HI-TEK process.

Glock's polygonal barrel can pose a challenge with cast bullet fit, poor fit can = leading, leading can lead to pressure problems.

I'd skip bare lead and use coated.

If I was casting my own, and wanted to skip coating, I'd be inclined to purchase a traditionally rifled after market barrel.

yup, this is the trap that got many guns to kaboom the fanboys just have to push the loads to the max.

Agreed.

While the 10mm does, with published loads, exceed the 40S&W, and enters into 41Mag territory, idiots have, and will continue, to make into something it's not (I've been guilty of this).

I work my loads up very carefully, albeit most with a tighter chamber barrel and increased power spring.

I don't venture into bulged brass territory (Hey idiots! Sheared brass means your pressure is way to bubbleguming high!).

I'm always amazed at comments (regarding a handload) like "most primers don't pop".

While the 10mm does, with published loads, exceed the 40S&W, and enters into 41Mag territory, idiots have, and will continue, to make into something it's not (I've been guilty of this).

I work my loads up very carefully, albeit most with a tighter chamber barrel and increased power spring.
I believe this is where most folks go wrong.... I've heard comparisons to the 41 Magnum and disagree. The 10mm is no where near a comparison to the 41 mag. I think if your handloading the 10 to those levels its a matter of time before something goes wrong.
Also add into the mix custom aftermarket barrels with tighter chambers, why do this?

correct me if I am wrong, but the SAAMI spec for the load and chamber should never produce a kaboom even at the high end 10mm loadings? So why push it?

Well I'm glad that that's all done and over and it's clear that using 9 major (a whole grain a powder extry!) in those selfsame pistols is the only answer in the real world.

I believe this is where most folks go wrong.... I've heard comparisons to the 41 Magnum and disagree. The 10mm is no where near a comparison to the 41 mag. I think if your handloading the 10 to those levels its a matter of time before something goes wrong.
Also add into the mix custom aftermarket barrels with tighter chambers, why do this?

correct me if I am wrong, but the SAAMI spec for the load and chamber should never produce a kaboom even at the high end 10mm loadings? So why push it?

Glock's chambers are, well, loose. By design, helps ensure reliability.

The AF barrel I purchased was for: Increased case life (I'm getting 10+ loads on Starline); Bit better case support; So I could run bare lead.

I disagree with the 10 not entering into 41 mag territory. Per Accurate's load data: 41 Mag, 210gr XTP, 10" barrel, MIN charge = 1,271fps. 10mm, 200 XTP, 5" barrel, MAX charge = 1,170.

Min to Max, but comparable. Can a 10 safely best a 41? Absolutely not.

I disagree with the 10 not entering into 41 mag territory. Per Accurate's load data: 41 Mag, 210gr XTP, 10" barrel, MIN charge = 1,271fps. 10mm, 200 XTP, 5" barrel, MAX charge = 1,170.

Min to Max, but comparable. Can a 10 safely best a 41? Absolutely not.
well have to agree to disagree on that one but I swear you agreed with me in your own answer... :cool:

I only ever entered the great 10 mm due to wanting .357 mag performance out of a semi auto, and I got a Glock 20 G1 when I couldn't find any thing else ( besides a Bren 10) and I stuck with it until Colt came out with the improved Delta Elites, and I have been a 1911 10 mm guy ever since! I have run plenty of Nukum loads over the years in many of my builds with no issues what so ever, and have found that a tight and smooth fitting 1911 seems to run better then any Block I have ever tried! I do swear by Para Ramped barrels, and Brielly spherical bushings with high end Shulman Barrels so I get the best life and reliability out of these builds! Actually the 2011 series are even better at handling full pop 10 mm loads, due to the extra strength in the frames and superior metals used! On the low end of the spectrum, I have had no issues at all with my RIA 10 mm double stack, BUT I avoid full zoot loads in that one, no need to push things in that rig!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top