JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My boy is forever pointing out the firearm foibles from films and tv. The Walking Dead, awash in a sea of firearms, is one of his favorites. Rick, handing over his beloved Python to Andrea so that she can end it all, with the sound of tinkling brass as the case is ejected after the fatal round is fired...or some dude laying on his back with a revolver held over him and saying it probably isn't even loaded...

More rounds then could be physically loaded into a magazine or drum. Like they are linked into some sort of futuristic Tardis Machine.

Yeah.... Those 4000 round AR mags in 90's movies.

Firearms in movies annoy my wife because I am like " That is a MP5K, back in the 90's I ordered a SP89 which is the semi auto version of that but I never got it because I sold it for twice what I paid before it ever even showed up because of the import ban in 94 drove the the price..."

She usually replies something like "for the 900th time, I don't care. Just watch the damn movie" :D

Last Edited:
Nearly my all time favorite is not so much of a mistake with a wrong gun or it's operation but when multiple guys have their guns pointed at someone and he makes a slight move and SUDDENLY they all operate the actions, chamber rounds etc.

Guns in movies are (and the ways actors are using them operationally) getting more and more accurate. The last 5 years, even, have seen a huge uptick in accurate portrayals of guns. However, I still haven't seen another movie quite like John Wick that so accurately showed reloads, running out of ammo, proper handling, etc. The bar is definitely getting raised.

When was the last time you saw a cup-and-saucer grip on a current TV show?

Isn't that what you would do?? I've never had the pleasure of shooting a flintlock, all (3) of my BP guns are percussion.
Historically one would prime from their one and only powder horn.
Primimg horns , Pan primers , priming powder are at the earliest a "fix" or items from the 1880's or so.

A well timed and tuned flintlock with a clean vent hole and sharp flint should not require any priming powder or special tool to use
Andy

Last Edited:
When the person holding the gun, they rack the slide when they 'really' mean business.

Whenever they draw thier gun it makes a rattling noise. This idicates to us they 'really' mean business as well.

No.....it's just an old military pistol. Trust me they rattled like a sidewinder! o_O

When it comes to historical pieces I'd be pretty easy to fool. I just don't know enough about the old stuff. Wish I did.
The thing that always gets me is the prevalence of automatic rifles. I've never even gotten to hold one before but every bad guy crew seems to have hundreds. And no one ever needs to reload. I'd imagine that if I was ever in any type of firefight with the ability to let em spray I'd need a few dozen loaded mags. Movie guys seem to get by with one.

Last Edited:
I found that when in a firefight , you can never have enough ammo or magazines...:eek::D
Many is the time that I wish I had a "Hollywood" magazine that never ran dry or a rifle that never missed...:D
Andy

I'd imagine that if I was ever in any type of firefight with the ability to let em spray I'd need a few dozen loaded mags. Movie guys seem to get by with one.

Historically one would prime from their one and only powder horn.
Primimg horns , Pan primers , priming powder are at the earliest a "fix" or items from the 1880's or so.

A well timed and tuned flintlock with a clean vent hole and sharp flint should not require any priming powder or special tool to use
Andy
Ah, thank you. Always an education.

Nowadays with all the ways to research a gun for a time period and replicas out there ...there is no excuse for the wrong time period gun in a movie.
Andy

You know, Andy, I'll bet the producers could have just asked John Wayne! I believe I've read that he was a life long firearms enthusiast.

Back in the '80's I had my son do a mag dump (30rnds/.223) into a big stump, then asked him how many Rambos would have been able to run through that! He got the correct answer with zero!

Ah, thank you. Always an education.
You are very welcome.

That said ...
I hope I do not come across as some sort of expert... or the end all , be all of muzzle loaders.
I do however wish I was a bit further south so I could be closer to some of y'all.
It would be fun to have a show and tell along with a shoot....
Andy

I just binge-watched WestWorld season 1 - (Free HBO last couple of days)

Much if the old west guns were done well.

Not all.

Not to spoil anything, but the last scene, like a dozen shots from a Peacemaker without reloading.
etc.

Some interesting things to discuss from such an idea. See also Chanel 4 / AMC "Humans"
but I'd give the series 3.5-4 / 5 Just seemed to miss pulling the trigger on many concepts, ideas.

When have you seen any realistic recoil in any movie weapon. And no one ears ever hurt or even ring. Only Blackhawk Down depicted what loud machine gun fire could do to your hearing. And the whole shot count thing. Total crap. And rack that semi you just fired a few times. No bullet comes out. Crap crap and more crap.

When have you seen any realistic recoil in any movie weapon. And no one ears ever hurt or even ring. Only Blackhawk Down depicted what loud machine gun fire could do to your hearing. And the whole shot count thing. Total crap. And rack that semi you just fired a few times. No bullet comes out. Crap crap and more crap.

I noticed that lately. Watched season 1 of American Crime, and when the mom was learning at the indoor range there was defiantly the audible sound, but there was not even a smidgen of recoil.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top