JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
o_O

Antman-hammer-glock-2-circle.jpg

You are very welcome.

That said ...
I hope I do not come across as some sort of expert... or the end all , be all of muzzle loaders.
I do however wish I was a bit further south so I could be closer to some of y'all.
It would be fun to have a show and tell along with a shoot....
Andy

I think you are the closest thing to a BP expert there is among the 40K+ members here. I'm certainly okay with you having that title!!:)
Maybe give us a schedule of where you are going to be?? Might be able to make one of your shindigs.
If you would like to come to PDX and meet some of the folks we've got a room that is yours. Maybe a DRRC or TCGC member could arrange use of a range for a get-together/shoot?? If ya'll don't mind a bit of a drive I can get us on the range at Stevenson about anytime.

Guns in movies are (and the ways actors are using them operationally) getting more and more accurate. The last 5 years, even, have seen a huge uptick in accurate portrayals of guns. However, I still haven't seen another movie quite like John Wick that so accurately showed reloads, running out of ammo, proper handling, etc. The bar is definitely getting raised.

When was the last time you saw a cup-and-saucer grip on a current TV show?

I thought The Gunman also did a pretty good job showing accurate gun handling, reloads, etc.. A good TV series to check out is Strike Back.

When have you seen any realistic recoil in any movie weapon. And no one ears ever hurt or even ring. Only Blackhawk Down depicted what loud machine gun fire could do to your hearing.

Excellent point. Guns are LOUD. Movies do a very poor job of depicting this. A firefight with rifle caliber weapons in a bank lobby would be deafening (for example).

great thread fellas.

A little movie trivia - I could never figure out why in the movie Sergeant York ,Gregory Peck was shown using a Lugar instead of a 1911 when he captured the Germans. Turns out the .45 wouldn't recycle blanks. Mystery solved!

Also in those old gangster detective movies where it looks like people are shooting anywhere but at the other person, that was done because back in those times blanks spit out a lot of crap and the directors didn't want anyone hurt.

The more you know...

The shootout in the movie Heat was fairly realistic when cranked up a bit in my late friends surround sound home movie theater.
He spent a small fortune on that Macintosh stereo system.

And for an accurate portrayal of handgun shooting: Equillibrium

This scene looks like my last IDPA match. It was the new trial "Dual Wield" division

Skip to 58 seconds.

But really, that movie scene must be the reason all the antis want to ban 30 caliber clip the ability to disperse 30 bullets in 1/2 a second.

I just want them to stop doing the "spin and flip" revolver load thing, great way to wear the hell out of your revolver, and most people who love their revolvers don't.

I just want them to stop doing the "spin and flip" revolver load thing, great way to wear the hell out of your revolver, and most people who love their revolvers don't.
Movies are 110% responsible for people wanting to break their revolvers or the one I *was* wanting to buy....

Yeah.... Those 4000 round AR mags in 90's movies.

Firearms in movies annoy my wife because I am like " That is a MP5K, back in the 90's I ordered a SP89 which is the semi auto version of that but I never got it because I sold it for twice what I paid before it ever even showed up because of the import ban in 94 drove the the price..."

She usually replies something like "for the 900th time, I don't care. Just watch the damn movie" :D

EXACTLY the same here.

Another thing that happens is the wife saying, "I wanna be able to do that, or shoot like that." Usually during some bad@zz sniper scene or a shoot'em up/Beat'em up scene from something out of John Wick or a Tom Cruise movie. To which I reply, "Yeah, just let me get Lucasflim on the speed dial here and they'll hook ya up.."

But they're fidget spinners for men! :eek:

Another way to ruin the revolver is fanning. But you know, "gotta shoot fast and tactical bro."

When it comes to historical pieces I'd be pretty easy to fool. I just don't know enough about the old stuff. Wish I did.
The thing that always gets me is the prevalence of automatic rifles. I've never even gotten to hold one before but every bad guy crew seems to have hundreds. And no one ever needs to reload. I'd imagine that if I was ever in any type of firefight with the ability to let em spray I'd need a few dozen loaded mags. Movie guys seem to get by with one.
That's why you don't see full auto paintball guns in tournaments. All you have to do is wait for them to have to reload then go shoot them.

1. Inexhaustible ammo supply without reloading.

2, Pistol whipped over the back of the head = dropped to the ground like a sack o' taters, knocked out cold.

3. BANG = victim is dead before he has a chance to fall over (or fly backward through a plate glass window in slow motion). Center mass body shot is an instant dirt nap.

4. Good guy gets shot, but he's so damned tough he is pretty much okay just a scene or two later.

5. Intense gunplay (often indoors in close quarters) followed by a dramatic scene with whispering, as if hearing was not even slightly affected.

6. But the most faked thing of all is all those outspoken anti-gun liberal actors making millions of dollars by shooting (and often glorifying) guns in movies and TV shows.

Last Edited:
In The Searchers , which takes place in 1868 .... there are loads of Colt SAA's and 1892 & 94 Winchesters as well.
That said one of the characters carries a Jenks carbine , while a uncommon firearm ... it would have been around during the time period of the movie.

In many , many movies especially the westerns of the 1940's - 1970's there are numerous examples of the wrong gun for the time period or a obvious mock up.
( 1873 "Trapdoors" made to look like flintlocks come to mind. )
It used to bother me when I was younger and even more of a "gun nerd" than I am now.
Usually nowadays I just roll with it and enjoy the story.

That said ( part two ) the gun and history faux pas in The Revenant bother the heck outta me...:D
Andy
I remember the original movie, and the book that the Revenant is based on. Much better than the latest version. Also, if you want a great western with meticulous historical accuracy get the book, "Brules" by Harry Combs. Not the usual "taking the ranch back from the bad guys" plot. Brules is the story of a cowboy/scout and his travels, fights, hunts, and loves throughout the west around 1860 to 1880. Even the geography that is described is real, much of it taking place in the 4 corners area near Lone Cone Mountain. It's one of the best I've ever read. In the sequel, our hero ends up as a scout in the same military campaign as Custer. Again, everything is super historical and accurate.

The 'slung-over-the shoulder' Mini-gun Gatling gets my goat.

1. Where DOES all that 24V power come from?

2. Where DOES all that ammunition come from?

3. It usually shoots for around half a minute or so - that's 3000 rounds. Has anybody here actually picked up 3000 rounds of 5.56x45 ammunition?

Plus the weight of the Mini-gun [about 70 pounds].

Plus the TWO 24V batteries.

I don't think so.

tac

3. It usually shoots for around half a minute or so - that's 3000 rounds. Has anybody here actually picked up 3000 rounds of 5.56x45 ammunition?
Sure did. Pretty close to 100 pounds. Rather not have that in addition to the weight of that gun while dealing wih whatever recoil there is.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top