JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
THIS POST HAS BEEN STOLEN FROM SIGFORUM.COM, courtesy of MRBTX, to whom I offer my gratitude.

posted August 30, 2022 12:55 PM
A friend of mine who shoots there sent me this, happened this past Sunday. If its been posted ill delete it. Be careful gentlemen.

View attachment 1268963

View attachment 1268964
Wow that round looks big. I wonder what caliber it was.

Makes me think of those crazy guys on YouTube shooting 50 BMG out of 12 gauge shotguns. That's probably a lot safer though (relatively I mean, it's not safe of course) cuz smaller bullet than barrel.

When I was about 10 years old, my older brother and I took our dad's 300 H&H out for him to shoot targets off the bench rest. Somehow, a 30-06 round got mixed in and when he pulled the trigger, it did not fire. After waiting a reasonable time, he opened the bolt, and the -06 showed just the slightest mark on the primer, which fortunately was not a sensitive one!

I did this at a range (Douglas Ridge) and a member on here was with me when it happened. My CZ gained a lot of respect for remaining together
and sparing me pain. Embarrassment remains high.
I was there and can verify it - something you might get away with once but dont count on it

Serious business. That is not red paint on the ground in the pic. Sometimes, even the right cartridge can cause trouble. I had a case head on a milsurp .308 round let go. Blew the HK-91 magazine and rounds into my leg and bowed the sides of the receiver out. Alloy G3 mag. A steel mag might have made the situation far worse. Was sore but no blood.

1662092357326.png
1662092382158.png
1662092411862.png

The unsafe combo that really sticks out is the one that was taught in my Hunter's Ed class when I was a wee lad.
20 gauge into a 12 gauge.
Supposedly the 20 gauge round will lodge at the end of the chamber, then a 12 gauge can be chambered on top of the 20 gauge.
It makes me cringe to think about it.

Which is why modern .20 gauge shells are always yellow.

-E-

Serious business. That is not red paint on the ground in the pic. Sometimes, even the right cartridge can cause trouble. I had a case head on a milsurp .308 round let go. Blew the HK-91 magazine and rounds into my leg and bowed the sides of the receiver out. Alloy G3 mag. A steel mag might have made the situation far worse. Was sore but no blood.

View attachment 1269292
View attachment 1269293
View attachment 1269294
I have had the same happen with steel cased Tula .308. Definitely spooky.

Good warning to all. I set off a 10mm round in a .45ACP barrel one time. The rifle is both 10mm And .45 with just a barrel and bolt swap. Using Glock mags for both. So after swapping bolt and barrel I grabbed one of the mags loaded with 10mm rounds. It fired and split the case open but of course left the action closed. Bullet did make it out and down range. It was a wake up to be more damn careful.

Yes, I realize this, based on the fact I know .243 is smaller than .270 - and that described what happened.

My point was IF the caliber of the bullet was larger the round should't have chambered.

Good warning to all. I set off a 10mm round in a .45ACP barrel one time. The rifle is both 10mm And .45 with just a barrel and bolt swap. Using Glock mags for both. So after swapping bolt and barrel I grabbed one of the mags loaded with 10mm rounds. It fired and split the case open but of course left the action closed. Bullet did make it out and down range. It was a wake up to be more damn careful.
'parently that's a pretty common mistale.

Okay guys and ladies - thus far, the gun club has decided not to make details of the gun/ammunition public.

Whinemeal, if I learn anything different, I'll tell you here.

'Speculation' is to 'fact', as 'I wonder' is to 'I know'.

Maybe this should go under reloading.mistakws I loaded 10mm loads into 40S&W and shot it out of my CS40. It was extremely snappy but no damage to the pistol I could tell and shoot it currently. Makes me wonder about how weak S&W alloy frame and the 40S&W. I don't think those guns and the 40 will wear out in my lifetime.

Exactly what I described in my above post: I sent a 308 down a 270 barrel
This actually happens more often than you'd think. I believe SAAMI 308 OAL puts the ogive right where the shoulder on a 270 would contact the chamber, causing it to headspace off the ogive.

Many other mistakes are averted by the primer not being struck hard enough, or the case won't chamber. Not so with a 308 in a 270 chamber.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top