JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was watching Titanic last night (cut me some slack, it's on Netflix), and noticed that the pistol used, by Roses' fiancée, was a 1911. Well, titanic sank in April of 1912. Is it possible / likely that 1911's could have been carried on titanic?

What (other) movies have firearms in them, that the firearm was manufactured after the date of the movie?

And it is nickeled with pearl grips! That model wasn't shipping right away, I'm betting. I think in early 1912 Colt had a $75 mail-in rebate on that model and it was back-ordered.

Don't listen to me, though. I haven't had my morning coffee yet.

When the person holding the gun, they rack the slide when they 'really' mean business.

Whenever they draw thier gun it makes a rattling noise. This idicates to us they 'really' mean business as well.

In The Searchers , which takes place in 1868 .... there are loads of Colt SAA's and 1892 & 94 Winchesters as well.
That said one of the characters carries a Jenks carbine , while a uncommon firearm ... it would have been around during the time period of the movie.

In many , many movies especially the westerns of the 1940's - 1970's there are numerous examples of the wrong gun for the time period or a obvious mock up.
( 1873 "Trapdoors" made to look like flintlocks come to mind. )
It used to bother me when I was younger and even more of a "gun nerd" than I am now.
Usually nowadays I just roll with it and enjoy the story.

That said ( part two ) the gun and history faux pas in The Revenant bother the heck outta me...:D
Andy

I'm not knowledgeable enough, @AndyinEverson, to have seen the Revenant history problems or anachronisms. Could you let us know a few? That was a pretty good remake! The thing that bugged me was a choice they made to replace the book's inspiration from retrieving the stolen rifle to something about family.

According to what I can find, the first commercial 1911s were assembled in March 9, 1912. If that is true, the chance of one finding it's way to England in less than a month would be pretty slim. To be nickel plated and have pearl grips the chances are non-existent.
I'll bet @AndyinEverson could go on for pages about mistakes in movies relating to guns!!:)

Dont get me started. I was watching the new Kong movie and the WW2 pilot was shooting his 1911 and you heard click, click, click when he ran out of ammo...

Also, in the 1st Avengers where that chick pulled out 2 glocks and they went click, like she was " cocking " them... to funny.

Multiple shots from a flintlock without reloading.
Priming a flintlock with a "pan primer" / priming horn.
Some very obvious repro guns ... While not bad , it would have been nice to see some re-working of the guns to make them look less "Italian " / Pedersoli like*
**** SPOILER ALERT !!! **** Major Henry ( Real person ) dying at the end of the movie.
"French Fur Traders" operating out in that area of the West.
( Yes many French people were in the fur trade , but the implied "French" company in the movie never existed. )
The geography of the movie did not match the area the real story took place.

These are just a few of the top of my head.
Andy
* Note I am not bashing Italian reproduction guns or Pedersoli guns ... they make a great gun.
But just not quite right for a true historic copy or look.
One can easily make a Pedersoli look more historic with just a bit of work... and for a movie of this scale , I thought it should have been done

I'm not knowledgeable enough, @AndyinEverson, to have seen the Revenant history problems or anachronisms. Could you let us know a few? That was a pretty good remake! The thing that bugged me was a choice they made to replace the book's inspiration from retrieving the stolen rifle to something about family.

On End of Watch, the lead character is doing self made videos where he describes his issued duty weapon as a Glock 19. Its obviously a 17 or 22 by size.

On the show Blacklist, the FBI guys are carrying Glocks. When they draw, you hear hammers cock.

Always love it when somone takes a round to the gourd and the scream out and walk around a frew seconds and then fall over with their eyes closed.

In many scenes in Lone Survivor, non suppressed weapons were making Hollywood suppressor noises.

Always loved the rifle scope scenes in the movie Sniper with Tom Berrenger. More lights and twinklies than a slot machine.

Ah, but The Searchers is a great movie, lrops not withstanding.
Yes indeed it is.
Great acting , story , scenery etc ... I really like the movie.
I also understand the use of non-correct guns for the time the movie was made.

Nowadays with all the ways to research a gun for a time period and replicas out there ...there is no excuse for the wrong time period gun in a movie.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR