Wrong depiction of firearms in movies

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Vaultman, Jul 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Vaultman

Vaultman
    Clackamas Co, Oregon

I was watching Titanic last night (cut me some slack, it's on Netflix), and noticed that the pistol used, by Roses' fiancée, was a 1911. Well, titanic sank in April of 1912. Is it possible / likely that 1911's could have been carried on titanic?

What (other) movies have firearms in them, that the firearm was manufactured after the date of the movie?

2. CHLChris

CHLChris
    Portland Metro East
    Love me some guns! Silver Supporter

And it is nickeled with pearl grips! That model wasn't shipping right away, I'm betting. I think in early 1912 Colt had a $75 mail-in rebate on that model and it was back-ordered.

Don't listen to me, though. I haven't had my morning coffee yet.

3. 308

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

When the person holding the gun, they rack the slide when they 'really' mean business.

Whenever they draw thier gun it makes a rattling noise. This idicates to us they 'really' mean business as well.

4. John Brown

John Brown
    NE of Seattle.

I always get a kick out of "silencers" on revolvers.

Ura-Ki, 3MTA3, Tully Mars and 7 others like this.
  5. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson
    Everson, Wa.
    Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

In The Searchers , which takes place in 1868 .... there are loads of Colt SAA's and 1892 & 94 Winchesters as well.
    That said one of the characters carries a Jenks carbine , while a uncommon firearm ... it would have been around during the time period of the movie.

In many , many movies especially the westerns of the 1940's - 1970's there are numerous examples of the wrong gun for the time period or a obvious mock up.
    ( 1873 "Trapdoors" made to look like flintlocks come to mind. )
    It used to bother me when I was younger and even more of a "gun nerd" than I am now.
    Usually nowadays I just roll with it and enjoy the story.

That said ( part two ) the gun and history faux pas in The Revenant bother the heck outta me...:D
    Andy

6. John Brown

John Brown
    NE of Seattle.

I also enjoy watching bullets sending 200 pound men flying backwards through the air like they were hit with a bowling ball fired from a cannon.

coyotecaller, Ura-Ki, 3MTA3 and 11 others like this.
  7. CHLChris

CHLChris
    Portland Metro East
    Love me some guns! Silver Supporter

I'm not knowledgeable enough, @AndyinEverson, to have seen the Revenant history problems or anachronisms. Could you let us know a few? That was a pretty good remake! The thing that bugged me was a choice they made to replace the book's inspiration from retrieving the stolen rifle to something about family.

8. Lilhigbee

Lilhigbee
    SE Portland
    Visit Target550.com Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

According to what I can find, the first commercial 1911s were assembled in March 9, 1912. If that is true, the chance of one finding it's way to England in less than a month would be pretty slim. To be nickel plated and have pearl grips the chances are non-existent.
    I'll bet @AndyinEverson could go on for pages about mistakes in movies relating to guns!!:)

Ura-Ki, Slobray, bbbass and 4 others like this.
  9. John Brown

John Brown
    NE of Seattle.

A lot of cap and ball revolvers in The Good, the Bad and the ugly mysteriously required cartridges.

10. mrblond

mrblond
    Salem OR

Dont get me started. I was watching the new Kong movie and the WW2 pilot was shooting his 1911 and you heard click, click, click when he ran out of ammo...

Also, in the 1st Avengers where that chick pulled out 2 glocks and they went click, like she was " cocking " them... to funny.

Ura-Ki, Slobray, bbbass and 3 others like this.
  11. John Brown

John Brown
    NE of Seattle.

I watched Quigley Down Under the other day, and I thought they did a good job with the firearms. Most movies do not.

DunRanull, Ura-Ki, Tully Mars and 4 others like this.
  12. MrMillspecer

MrMillspecer
    Scappoose

So a 1911 could have sunk the Titanic. :D

13. jbett98

jbett98
    NW Oregon
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Hammer down on a 1911 and when they pull the trigger, it goes boom.

Ura-Ki, Kent763, Tully Mars and 5 others like this.
  14. Connor Murphy

Connor Murphy
    Washington County

Ah, but The Searchers is a great movie, lrops not withstanding.

15. Connor Murphy

Connor Murphy
    Washington County

That doesn't happen in real life?

F2CMaDMaXX and bbbass like this.
  16. John Brown

John Brown
    NE of Seattle.

I always laugh when someone gives up cover, to stand up and shoot while in a gun battle. It's like saying HERE I AM, KILL ME.

3MTA3, Gaucho Gringo, bbbass and 3 others like this.
  17. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson
    Everson, Wa.

Multiple shots from a flintlock without reloading.
    Priming a flintlock with a "pan primer" / priming horn.
    Some very obvious repro guns ... While not bad , it would have been nice to see some re-working of the guns to make them look less "Italian " / Pedersoli like*
    **** SPOILER ALERT !!! **** Major Henry ( Real person ) dying at the end of the movie.
    "French Fur Traders" operating out in that area of the West.
    ( Yes many French people were in the fur trade , but the implied "French" company in the movie never existed. )
    The geography of the movie did not match the area the real story took place.

These are just a few of the top of my head.
    Andy
    * Note I am not bashing Italian reproduction guns or Pedersoli guns ... they make a great gun.
    But just not quite right for a true historic copy or look.
    One can easily make a Pedersoli look more historic with just a bit of work... and for a movie of this scale , I thought it should have been done

DunRanull, Ura-Ki, 3MTA3 and 6 others like this.
  18. No_Regerts

No_Regerts
    Warshington
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

On End of Watch, the lead character is doing self made videos where he describes his issued duty weapon as a Glock 19. Its obviously a 17 or 22 by size.

On the show Blacklist, the FBI guys are carrying Glocks. When they draw, you hear hammers cock.

Always love it when somone takes a round to the gourd and the scream out and walk around a frew seconds and then fall over with their eyes closed.

In many scenes in Lone Survivor, non suppressed weapons were making Hollywood suppressor noises.

Always loved the rifle scope scenes in the movie Sniper with Tom Berrenger. More lights and twinklies than a slot machine.

19. teflon97239

teflon97239
    Portland, OR

Any Hap & Leonard fans here? How many times can you cock a gun to threaten people?

20. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson
    Everson, Wa.

Yes indeed it is.
    Great acting , story , scenery etc ... I really like the movie.
    I also understand the use of non-correct guns for the time the movie was made.

Nowadays with all the ways to research a gun for a time period and replicas out there ...there is no excuse for the wrong time period gun in a movie.
    Andy

Ura-Ki, Tully Mars, Vaultman and 2 others like this.