JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
THIS POST HAS BEEN STOLEN FROM SIGFORUM.COM, courtesy of MRBTX, to whom I offer my gratitude.

posted August 30, 2022 12:55 PM
A friend of mine who shoots there sent me this, happened this past Sunday. If its been posted ill delete it. Be careful gentlemen.

IMG-3198.jpg

IMG-3199.jpg

What is a B/A rifle?

AND - I suspect an overload as opposed to the 'wrong caliber ammo' as described in the article.

If the caliber was 'wrong' why did it chamber ? This IS possible if it is a smaller caliber in a typically larger diameter case - such as a .270 will fit in a .30 - 06 however if that was the situation the round would fire and the bullet just loosely leave the barrel.

A friend once picked up a .243 round of mine and shot it out of his .270. Other than an odd report on firing and a weird striation from the bullet 'rattling' its way down the barrel there was no damage.

What is a B/A rifle?

AND - I suspect an overload as opposed to the 'wrong caliber ammo' as described in the article.

If the caliber was 'wrong' why did it chamber ? This IS possible if it is a smaller caliber in a typically larger diameter case - such as a .270 will fit in a .30 - 06 however if that was the situation the round would fire and the bullet just loosely leave the barrel.

A friend of mine once picked up a .243 round of mine and shot it out of his .270. Other than an odd report on firing and a weird striation from the bullet 'rattling' its way down the barrel there was no damage.
B/A = bolt action.

You are asking the wrong person all the questions. The RCO - Range Control/Safety Officer at the range might give you more details, but I can't. Sorry.

The .243 is smaller than the .270, so the bullet would have ricocheted down the barrel. A level of destruction such as this, that blew off his finger and caused lot more injuries, suggest that the bullet was marginally too big for the bore.

The .243 is smaller than the .270, so the bullet would have ricocheted down the barrel.
Yes, I realize this, based on the fact I know .243 is smaller than .270 - and that described what happened.

My point was IF the caliber of the bullet was larger the round shouldn't have chambered.

Last Edited:
Yes, I realize this, based on the fact I know .243 is smaller than .270 - and that described what happened.

My point was IF the caliber of the bullet was larger the round should't have chambered.
There are few caliber combinations where the larger caliber will chamber in a smaller caliber chamber 300bo/5.56 or .308 in a .270 for example because the larger caliber cartridge is shorter.

You can chamber 300 Blackout in a 5.56 chamber with equally catastrophic results.
A 20 gauge shotgun shell will go down the barrel far enough to let you chamber a 12 gauge behind it.
I'm sure there are more examples out there. The point is PAY ATTENTION to what you're doing when you are handling firearms.

Last Edited:
There are few caliber combinations where the larger caliber will chamber in a smaller caliber chamber 300bo/5.56 or .308 in a .270 for example because the larger caliber cartridge is shorter.
Got it ! and I suspected such.

Maybe in this case the guy grabbed a round from a box that was sitting nearby - and not his caliber - as MY friend did in our case.

Bottom line - keep YOUR ammo distanced from others unless it is the same caliber you are all shooting!

.308 cartridge into a .270 chamber would make a mess of things.
I know someone that did that. Luckily it didn't blow up like in the OP the bullet stop about 3/4 up the barrel with nice little bulge and locked the action up like a Fort Knox safe.

I actually make a point to avoid owning cartridges with this potential, might be a little boring but no booms like that.

I try to make it a point now to only take one type of ammunition that is roughly compatible. (I am not worried about getting 22lr and 45-70 confused) But that is a sobering reminder. Thanks

I have two Remington 700 KS, one in 270 and the other is a 7mm Rem Mag. The guns look identical scopes and all. I had ammo for both on the bench and a 270 cartridge will fire in a 7mm. I got some blowback in the face but fortunately, no harm was done. It is rather embarrassing though, lesson learned!

The unsafe combo that really sticks out is the one that was taught in my Hunter's Ed class when I was a wee lad.
20 gauge into a 12 gauge.
Supposedly the 20 gauge round will lodge at the end of the chamber, then a 12 gauge can be chambered on top of the 20 gauge.
It makes me cringe to think about it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads