JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
99% chance of a wrongful death lawsuit regardless; according to the former 2a lawyer and author who provided a training event I attended some time ago.

Dealing with the threat; round 1
Dealing with/the jurisdiction; 2
Dealing with/civil suit; round 3
Dealing with paying your Ambulance Chaser's Rosie O'Donnell's-arse-sized bill, round 4
and
Getting on with your life; 5

Better than you or your family being harmed...;)
FIFY! :D

As for an AR for home defense, I don't have a problem with that, and I doubt a jury would have an issue so long as it's legitimate self-defense. But, I do agree with what others have said - lose the skulls, "Molan Labe" engravings, etc. Last thing you want to do is give some snotty prosecutor a reason to show you are looking forward to such an event.
I suppose that means I better not have any with vanity serials like 347MYD1CKJ4Y, either... :p lol

A lot of good points have been made here. To me, priority one is to survive the encounter. Use what's handy and get the best lawyer you can find.
I think if we have the opportunity to keep less "scary" but equally capable tools at hand for HD, it can't hurt. Although, I hadn't considered No_Regerts' angle about the press trying to minimize the use of an AR by a good guy. That may very well help in the court of public opinion but maybe not in a court of law.
To me, the biggest stand out factor is that it would be a regional issue. Where I live I'd bet a bad guy is more likely to encounter the noisy end of a 30-30 lever gun during a home invasion than a Glock or any SBR. I can't imagine a jury in the state (except possibly in the heart of Boise) putting any weight in what a weapon looked like. If I lived on the left side of Oregon or Washington I'd probably be much more mindful about appearances.

Regional side note: When my parents were looking at houses in Idaho a few years ago I spent a day riding around with them and their realtor. Without exception, every single house they looked at had a huge gun safe in the master bedroom. I think it could safely be argued that any bad actor should have the expectation of being shot during the commision of a burglary.

Having had to talk to law enforcement after having to use a firearm for defense...
I can say that both times perception and my demeanor mattered.
Granted I did not have to go to court...

But the questions asked , body language and attitude of some of the officers , the overall deportment again of some of the officers did indeed show a bias of one sort or another.
That said I do understand that they are responding to a call with a guy who has a gun...So I do get the "why" , to a degree...

In my experience in life , appearances can mean more than the facts at times...
So I would be careful in what I choose to use as a self / home defense gun.

I also think that it would depend on where you live in the country and whether the area in which you live is "gun friendly" and even to an extent , "guns of certain type friendly"...
Many folks where I live are not overly gun friendly...but understand that folks hunt and target shoot...But they may not understand that a AR15 type rifle is just another semi-auto rifle and because it looks a certain way*...that must mean that....pick your misinformed opinion here...

Again if you ever have to use a gun for defense , you will be nitpicked to death whatever you do or use , by law enforcement and everybody else....be sure that you are 100% covered in your actions.
For myself , I would choose a gun that worked well for me in , my situation , that looked the least threatening to jury of my peers.
As I said many times before , what works for me may not work for you or even apply.
Andy
Edit:
Note to all...
I do not think that there is one whit of difference between a:
AR15 type rifle
A Browning BAR
A Remington 742
Or any other semi - auto rifle...they are all just that... a semi -auto rifle.
Just pointing out that you will encounter folks who think or "know" otherwise and that may work against you...

So am I the only one that thinks about being out gunned? I live in a rural area and for those who watch the news an area that was hit on christmas eve. My wife and I were out of town and a couple who live in my general area had there house broken into and lit on fire while at church.

I see this when I get home. Makes all kinds of things run through a guys mind. What if you were home? What if you walked in on them? Now I have thought about all these things before and have accounted for them to the best of my ability and knowledge but what if they have you out gunned and out numbered?o_O

Thinking about being "outgunned" is a good thing.
I really like and can shoot really well with my Colt Dragoon and other cap and ball revolvers...
Would any of them work as a self defense gun... sure...but there is a reason the cartridge handgun was developed...it works better...:D

Many if not most firearm design features were made to make the gun work better in a given situation...
If the gun works better , you , if you practice , can have a better chance of hitting your target.
So looking a gun strictly from a design or function standpoint , it can be seen as a gun that you choose to use because it is the best for you use in given situation.
But...
That can also be seen as a double edged sword...those same features that make it easier for you the law abiding citizen to have a gun that is more user friendly can also been seen as "evil" or "more deadly" to the largely misinformed or non-firearm experienced public....

So again it might pay to be careful in what you choose to use for home defense...
Andy

First of all there are a lot of considerations. Absolutely nothing illegal about the weapons you are speaking of. BUT! Today with the climate the way it is about AR Sporting type rifles and pistols the area where you live should be considered. I have the availability for AR use for home protection myself but they are more of the standard equipped nothing too decked out. Certainly nothing wrong with them. But I do agree with some here that I would not want them to present the weapon in court with the Skull on the Magazine Well area of the receiver. Many in the Jury no doubt would take a dim view of it's presence. Of course protecting your self and the family is the most important consideration. But my number one go to for home defense would be a pistol or a good old 12 ga. Pump Shotgun with probably #2 Shot, BB or the smallest Buck Shot I could fine I believe they are #1 Buck. The other reason for the pump shotgun is every dirt bag in the country knows what the sound of a pump gun racking a shell in sounds like. Even if they have not experienced one before. I racked one on a suspected burglar in a business once and the guy messed his pants!:rolleyes: Turned out it was a guy who had been in the Restaurant and Bar the night before for a bachelor party and passed out under a table. His buddies thought he had left with a lady and also left. He woke up at 2:30am in the morning and when he moved he set of the Burglar Alarm!:) When I spoke to him he sated he was not real familiar with guns but he stated. When I heard you say Police Do Not Move! I for D sure knew what I was hearing! So just the racking of the shotgun can also be a tremendous physiological deterrent! IMO!

Last Edited:
I totally get that we need to watch our appearance and what gun or firearm we use. But I am the type that I would rather have more and not need it than less and need it.

So if you or I stop a threat with a pistol but have a 12 gauge slung across your back I am sure there are people and attorney's that would say why so much fire power? (this is where you would want to laugh and say "you aint seen nothing yet" but can't!)o_O

It is sad that it has come down to this. Our military, politicians and many high falutin people are protected by said evil black guns but we will be judged for doing the same!! What has our country turned into? :(

My choice for HD is a G34 with a TLR-3. But to be honest, I'm sure I'd just grab my 9mm Shield as its the only one not locked up in the safe when I sleep.
If you prefer your G34 for HD, why not take it out of the safe and place it on the nightstand when going to sleep? You can take your shield out of the safe in the morning when you put the G34 back.

Being possibly outgunned is a consideration, but theres another part of this appearance thing that Im not certain has been brought up.... The appearance of your actions during the event.

So you chose an evil black gun or whatever scary monstosity you want... But what did you do to avoid using it?
....so you hear someone in your house, did you bring the fight to the bad guy, or did you do everything you could to get away and avoid using it?

A 9mm double stack pistol loaded with a good hollow point.

It is small enough to maneuver around the house without being cumbersome. It can be used in close combat as well as any distance that I would run into within the house. It's capacity is better than many other choices. 9mm hollow points provide the stopping power without a lot of penetration which makes it more likely that I'll take out the threat without hurting anyone behind them.

To each their own.

If you prefer your G34 for HD, why not take it out of the safe and place it on the nightstand when going to sleep? You can take your shield out of the safe in the morning when you put the G34 back.

I take my carry gun and put it on my night stand every night! My guess is its the easiest to get to which is why he does that. I also have my Canik with a light on it sitting in a lock box that is usually open for easy access. I would grab my Canik if time allows but my carry gun I can reach with out getting out of bed.

So it really comes down to time and the threat. I could be wrong but knowing @Kruejl I bet I am close.

Being possibly outgunned is a consideration, but theres another part of this appearance thing that Im not certain has been brought up.... The appearance of your actions during the event.

So you chose an evil black gun or whatever scary monstosity you want... But what did you do to avoid using it?
....so you hear someone in your house, did you bring the fight to the bad guy, or did you do everything you could to get away and avoid using it?

Agreed! I don't want to, but will if I have to!

I totally get that we need to watch our appearance and what gun or firearm we use. But I am the type that I would rather have more and not need it than less and need it.

So if you or I stop a threat with a pistol but have a 12 gauge slung across your back I am sure there are people and attorney's that would say why so much fire power? (this is where you would want to laugh and say "you aint seen nothing yet" but can't!)o_O

It is sad that it has come down to this. Our military, politicians and many high falutin people are protected by said evil black guns but we will be judged for doing the same!! What has our country turned into? :(

This phenomena occurs in the military too; we called it...

Economy of Force; I didn't like it either..

Examples (military axioms):

Not using tank munitions on troop targets in the open; use the .240B.

Not dropping a MOAB on 1 foxhole emplacement; use an AT4.

Not using a rifle against a T-72; use another tank, drone, hellfire, or gunship.

Oregon law (the way it was explained to me) would allow Granny to obliterate a younger, stronger, bigger, burly man, with any means possible, but that same man would have a tough time convincing a jury that he had to obliterate (much less taze) "poor old granny".....

So, I'm suggesting that the choice to make; be tailored to the threat, as much as possible.

This phenomena occurs in the military too; we called it...

Economy of Force; I didn't like it either..

Examples (military axioms):

Not using tank munitions on troop targets in the open; use the .240B.

Not dropping a MOAB on 1 foxhole emplacement; use an AT4.

Not using a rifle against a T-72; use another tank, drone, hellfire, or gunship.

Oregon law (the way it was explained to me) would allow Granny to obliterate a younger, stronger, bigger, burly man, with any means possible, but that same man would have a tough time convincing a jury that he had to obliterate (much less taze) "poor old granny".....

So, I'm suggesting that the choice to make; be tailored to the threat, as much as possible.

Ya I never understood that! When I was in I would have made a horrible officer. I like to win and show force by superior fire power. So if you have one bunker hit it with the MOAB and maybe the other bunker will run like HE!! or surrender! :p:D

I take my carry gun and put it on my night stand every night! My guess is its the easiest to get to which is why he does that. I also have my Canik with a light on it sitting in a lock box that is usually open for easy access. I would grab my Canik if time allows but my carry gun I can reach with out getting out of bed.

So it really comes down to time and the threat. I could be wrong but knowing @Kruejl I bet I am close.

Yup.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top