JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@SKrueger I know man I was just generalizing.

Exhibit A won't help you if it "looks" evil, because unfortunately TOO MANY people judge a gun on its looks.

BLACK RIFLES MATTER.

I feel completely differently about NFA. I'm a upstanding member of the community who has had extreme federal vetting and background checks, a veteran and I look good in a suit. While it is assumed by some that using NFA stuff in home defense is a no no I see it maybe more help than not. Even a bad lawyer could spin that 8 month background check thing to effect. Iv'e never seen a case where using NFA was a liability. This is Yakima. We dont have "Overzealous Prosecutors" looking to make a name for their liberal constituency. Its Yakima.

We all don't live in Yakima. :)

Probably not. There is little those rifles can do that a simple pistol cannot.
Not to mention the extra size of the rifle/pistol would be cumbersome.

Lastly.. remember you'll have police involvement.. an SBR will draw negative attention as will a tricked out "pistol" with a brace.

That being said they look like a blast man. For the range they are awesome!

IMO Id just stick with a simple handgun, no brace and a quality light mounted to it.. or not.

I agree with some of the common sense assertions, but some of it is a little silly. I'm not advocating for skulls and "eff you" dust covers, but I'm not too worried about what a home defense firearm looks like. If you're that worried about a smart lawyer playing the assault weapon/NFA card on a home defense weapon, then you should probably be worried about that lawyer playing the "gun collector" "super owner" card and portraying you as someone who "owned assault weapons" whether they were used or not.

Me and buddy just had this discussion the other day. I say use whatever your comfortable with. Plus if your using a suppressor his buddies out in the get away car won't know whats going on until it's to late. I won't use anything for HD if it's got a barrel over 14", just my own personal opinion. I don't want the muzzle coming into view for longer than it needs to before I have eyes on the room when entering a doorway. Plus you run the risk of someone grabbing the barrel on a long gun in a close quarters or low light situation.

1. I prefer to save lives.
2. If my family is in danger, I will grab the first thing I can have access and would not think much of what it is.
3. When I still have time to decide, I would not choose those.

Ive got a couple 9MM AR-15's. Ones a "pistol" and the others a SBR. Both shoot wonderfully well and both look really menacing. Maybe too menacing to use as home defense guns. What do you think? Is this something you'd rather not have shown to a jury if it comes to a trial and would a lever action be more humbling ?

View attachment 416639
It ultimately depends on the situation but all other things being equal the type of firearm does make a difference.

couple of real case law examples...
1) Harold Fish. The short story is he was convicted of murder for defending himself with a "most powerful" 10mm because he wanted to do more harm. In reality, he was attacked by a mad man who knew he had a gun and charged him anyways.
2) there was that kid a couple summers ago that while at home 3 armed bad guys broke in to his home and attacked him, he used an AR15 to defend himself and IIRC killed at least one of them maybe 2. No charges filed it was a pretty cut and dry case even with an "evil black rifle with a thing that goes up" ...

Guns: Appearances Matter

I think it might be more practical when used as a stand-off weapon while waiting for the cavalry to arrive, but a well fed shotgun would be better. It would not be my go-to choice for a quick response to a threat, because it would be a PITA to keep it out of each of my grandson and still remain immediately available. As far as a defensive weapon, I wouldn't think twice about using it. He!!, I'd throw Stomper's curling iron at'em if it was available.

We always talk about how all pistol calibers really suck and we should only use them to get to a rifle. If it comes to self defense, I'll use the best tool at my disposal. I actually believe the use of an evil black gun is a non issue because once it' found out the good guy used one, they will try and keep it quiet to not lend legitimacy to the tool. Happened with the Texas Church Shooter,

Ive got a couple 9MM AR-15's. Ones a "pistol" and the others a SBR. Both shoot wonderfully well and both look really menacing. Maybe too menacing to use as home defense guns. What do you think? Is this something you'd rather not have shown to a jury if it comes to a trial and would a lever action be more humbling ?

View attachment 416639

Would have ZERO qualms about using that for home defense.

Well, since I have no idea where I'd be in my house, what time it would be, or what I'd be doing if/when an event like a home invasion occurs, it's hard to say what I'd use for self defense. At night, in bed, I have a full sized M&P in .40 in a bedside quick-access safe. But say I'm in the garage and someone burst into the house - I may not have access to that gun. Perhaps it will be a gun I've just finished cleaning. Maybe it's a baseball bat, a knife or a hammer. If I'm in the kitchen, the choice would be different - I may not necessarily have a firearm ready to go between me and the bad guy.

I don't keep an AR or shotgun ready to go for home defense, though I could get to them somewhat quickly, if needed. My most ready firearms (and there are several around the house in concealed and secured locations) are pistols. Ideally, my first choice is a shotgun, but I'm not yet set up with a proper quick-access safe/lock to allow me to keep it loaded and ready to go at a moment's notice. At some point, I hope to bring that into the plan, for now, it will most likely be a pistol.

As for an AR for home defense, I don't have a problem with that, and I doubt a jury would have an issue so long as it's legitimate self-defense. But, I do agree with what others have said - lose the skulls, "Molan Labe" engravings, etc. Last thing you want to do is give some snotty prosecutor a reason to show you are looking forward to such an event.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top