JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would definitively say go!
If I understand your situation correctly you are newly retired and have some time to spend on enjoyment. If you want the best deal possible the web CAN give good prices. That said I have never purchased a gun I haven't already held that same model. If you are just killing time go to Cabelas, surfing the web for an afternoon is an experience soon forgotten and it sounds like everyone here remembers their experiences at Cabelas.
When I went to Cabelas I brought home a "Cabelas Exclusive" sig. It was a great gun and just what I was looking for. They also have a great selection of ammo and its all in stock! Down where I am the bi-mart has bare looking shelves most of the time.
If you are passing through Salem to go to the Springtucky Cabelas I would recommend a stop at Wholesale sports. They are right by the interstate and I cant get out of one of their stores empty handed either.

If I understand your situation correctly you are newly retired and have some time to spend on enjoyment. If you want the best deal possible the web CAN give good prices. That said I have never purchased a gun I haven't already held that same model. If you are just killing time go to Cabelas, surfing the web for an afternoon is an experience soon forgotten and it sounds like everyone here remembers their experiences at Cabelas.
When I went to Cabelas I brought home a "Cabelas Exclusive" sig. It was a great gun and just what I was looking for. They also have a great selection of ammo and its all in stock! Down where I am the bi-mart has bare looking shelves most of the time.
If you are passing through Salem to go to the Springtucky Cabelas I would recommend a stop at Wholesale sports. They are right by the interstate and I cant get out of one of their stores empty handed either.

The more I thought about it the better I liked the Idea of seeing there new store. Lots of neat new Ideas in bullets loaders and such. I have a trip coming up to Eugene and I understand there is a store in Springfield. I will take the time to visit.

Have been to a lot of Bass Pros, Have the hats to prove it.
Chicago IL, Orlando FL, Auburn NY, Pratteville AL, Leeds AL, Atlanta GA, Concord NC, Mateca CA, Rancho Cucamonga CA, Mesa AZ, and San Antonio TX.

Only Cabela's 've been to is Boise, Lacey, and Springfield. Oh yea and the original in Sydney NE (Which wasn't too impressive, Nice RV park though)

If the Lacey one was bigger (I stopped there for 15 minutes on the way back from a Mariners game once) its not THAT much bigger. Either store is worth the trip if you're going to buy something.
IF the Lacey store was bigger? It is 140,000 sqft while the Eugene store is 59,000 sqft., so ya, it's much bigger.

The lacey Cabela's does have a lot of stuff. A LOT of stuff. But you might be dissapointed at the prices.
Agreed. Go to sight see, unless there is something on sale you want, OR you bought online for free in store pick up.

I live in Salem and wouldn't bother driving to Eugene again
Me too. I might stop there if I was going past, but I would not make a special trip. That store just isn't worth the drive from Salem.

If you go the Lacey store, try to be there as close to opening as possible and if you can go on a week day, that would be better as well.

If you want better prices, stop at Surplus Ammo & Arms LLC. 12729 Pacific HWY SW Lakewood, WA 98499 It's a small store with good ammo prices and an AR focus.

So what ever happened to Cabela's opening a store in the Portland area? The Oregon City thing imploded (Due to politics?). I heard there still looking for somewhere nearby (like Wilsonville).

Would like to see a BIG one here in town.

I take a drive up to Cabelas in Lacey about once every two months. Always worth the trip. Their stock is excellent, ammo prices good on large volume purchases, and their reloading section has never failed to have what I was looking for. And the artificial mountain with all the taxidermy is amazing. Don't miss the large game display on the back of the second floor, either.

I have never driven "to" Cabela's, but I have been there a couple of times as my wife and I were passing through. Spent a couple of hours each time and was worth the stop. A ton of stuff there to see, even if you don't look at merchandise. Not sure that I would take the drive just to go to Cabela's, but definitely plan a stop there if you are headed north.

Haven't been to the Eugene Cabela's, so no comment on that.

wait for seasonal clearance sales, clothing there is of a good quality. Gun stuff is msrp with few deals, although they do carry selection and brands offered by few others. Even the used gun racks are a little pricey, with a lot of overpriced bubba junk, and an occasional gem. The only deal I found was on used handguns, an FNP USG .45. Across the freeway is a wholesale sports, and a costco.

+ 1 on that. Cabela's is cool to see the first time. Minnesota had 2 nice stores. Not Much difference than a Bass Pro shop, actually, not sure why people rave 1 over the other. But as said above, thee best time to go is not when the season or wheather promotes buying. Wait tell after the hunting, fishing, or wheather season and then go, prices can be below 50% off when all you had to do was wait as long as you are not a "I need it now shopper." The bargain caves can hold some great items but are a flip of the coin if they have the size or item you are looking for. Other things such as optics and such are not a very good deal in the bargain cave at all since they most of the time have zero return policy. Yet the Main store...., Theeeee BEST return policy in the country. Example...Bought $900 GPS fish finder and after using it for about 7 months, a small item on it broke and was really unhappy with the overall unit and wished for a different 1. Brought it back, with box, tags, and reciept, no questions asked, returned for same product or store credit. If it would have been before 6 months, I'm pretty sure they would have given cash back. It is the one store I have gone into and just swept items off the shelf into the cart and had zero concerns on returning any unused or if even used lightly and not satisfied, been able to return with in 90 days with no questions and most conditions money back. Not always the best prices, but if you live close to a cabela's, you soon save on returns and overall satisfaction. Unlike other stores that only order once a year for the season on things, not so here....go in any time of the season and can walk out with what you want. I wish there was one in Portland, because I use to spend about $5,000 or more a year back home at one, when it was close

If you have never been there and have the kids with, it is a pretty fun time to stop in with them, as I always wished we had kids already and were able to show them the nice live fish tanks and the other stuffed exibits.

Really disappointed with the Springfield Cabela's. They have a huge building and cool looking animals mounted throughout the store, my small kids love that, and that's about it. The handgun/rifle selection is pretty limited, fairly generic and the most expensive I've seen around town. There is one small isle dedicated to 3 holster brands (mostly for Glocks) and lots of empty spaces. Same situation with the magazines. Ammo stacked over your head, and so is the price. I don't know a lot about fishing, but they do dedicate a larger portion of the store to it and always seems to have the shelves stocked. Camping gear is o.k. Not a lot of choices available in the store, mostly Cabela's brand. Shoe department is frustrating. They don't keep the boxes out front, so you have to go around and try to find an employee who can actually locate something in there backroom. Lots and lots of clothes, if you don't mind spending $25 for a t-shirt with Cabela's across the front. Make me long for the days of Joe's out off Delta Hwy. Maybe I set my expectations too high, but given all the hype and boasting they put on, the Springfield store definitely fell short.

I went to the Eugene Cabelas Today just to have a quick look at the store.
I spent three hours inside the building on the first floor. The reloading section was a bit lacking but I was awe struck with the fire arms selection. I could not get out of the rifle section. I must of shouldered ten long guns shot guns included, shot guns, valued between one and four + thousand dollars. I learned quite a bit about a number of new arms that are on the market and it was nice to see Winchester making available some of the Historic calibers in new rifles once again.
I spent an hour Just feeling the spools turn on the new line of fishing reals, Worked a few drags also. Picked up a dozen fish poles! I told the salesmen I was not ready to make a purchase but just wanted to up date my understanding of what was on the market, he then took further interest in the type of fishing I do. I told him I need a real with a larger line capacity than what was displayed. He opened the sliding drawers and placed every model that fit my description in my hand.
Every department had the most courteous sales people I have dealt with in a long time. They were listening to all I had to say and did there best to stay with me and showed an interest in things that should not have mattered
In three hours I didn't see 25% of the entire first floor. When I got home the wife asked did you go up stairs. [if I didn't know her better I would have to start wondering about who was showing her around]
We my son and I left with a hundred and sixty rounds of loaded rifle ammunition.
It was a great experience, I will be looking forward to my next visit. Thank You

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews