JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Greetings Sportsfans,

It has recently come once again to my attention why (against all advice to the contrary) why I would consistently and constantly throw my monetary assistance toward a small, but well-established gun store.

I will say in predicate that I certainly shop around. My dollars are not doled out in willy-nilly fashion. But I will also advise to the "up and coming"readers here with newfound direction in gun interest, that a firm relationship with a firm and solid gunstore of durable reputation may well reap rewards far and beyond the first few purchases.

Here is how it might happen: My local rural gunstore guy 5 days ago phoned me to tell me he got a group of nice guns in from an estate. To make a very long story short, I advised him I would be there in 25 minutes.

I found one I wanted. He put it away for me for NO money up front. I finally paid him today. Fat-barrel 700 BDL Remington in .223, Circa 1981 unfired. Yep, podunk off-the-beaten-path Gunstore. Yep, got it 25% or more off going rate. A modern collectable. There will be no more. Doubt me? Check the going rate on these good fat-barreled Remingtons

I am a pig in things that pigs lay around in. Compliments to the editors, but it is not bubblegum.

Bottom line: Find a good small gunshop, patronize regularly, (even if its just solvent and patches), and find yourself on the "list" when good stuff comes in. You might pay more on the little crap, but where the rubber hits the road, you will come out shining.

No charge for this advice. Drive Safely.

I've not found the gunstore for me like Spitpatch describes. Once in a while I bump into a good one, but something always happens. Sold business, moved or just closed. Been to others that had the potential, only to be pushed away by arrogance or ignorance. I believe part of my trouble is where I live. Folks around the city often forget what their word is supposed to be worth...
I do have an auto parts store like this, though. It's a comfortable feeling dealing with people you know and trust.

Keeping FFLs in business is not a bad thing.
I'll bet the libs would would love to see them all go out of business.
Hard to transfer a firearm without them in a state where it is required or probably going to be.

In my neck of the woods I have Federal Way Discount Gun and then a few miles away in Renton there is Pinto's and Bens. My Colt Gold Cup Trophy was purchased new from FWDG for $995... When I found it, the best price I could find online was $1125 so I jumped on it. I also got my Les Baer TRS used but unfired from them for $1700 after paying the WA governor :confused: Great little store and now they have a range:D
Pintos and Bens are a little cluttered but have their deals too. For some reason I can usually find a better deal locally than I can find online although I did get my Daniel Defense AR for $1250 on sale 18 months ago (black Friday deal);)

Yep you really need them small gun shops around to buy your guns after you are dead. Think how good you will feel knowing the new owner of your guns got such a good deal at the expense of your estate.:s0140:

I appreciate all the favorable commentary here, and in return I will illsutrate my typical friday night:

Feed the stock, then drive 8 miles over the ridge. Arrive at the gunstore right at closing.

After-hours party with potluck!

And THAT'S how we do it in the West.

I've not found the gunstore for me like Spitpatch describes. Once in a while I bump into a good one, but something always happens. Sold business, moved or just closed. Been to others that had the potential, only to be pushed away by arrogance or ignorance. I believe part of my trouble is where I live. Folks around the city often forget what their word is supposed to be worth...
I do have an auto parts store like this, though. It's a comfortable feeling dealing with people you know and trust.

Drive Further

To me its all about the personal experience you get talking with the people working on the other end of the counter. The people you have working for you no matter the size of your shop can make or break you. I buy/build quite a few firearms. by no means am I new to the game of it, but also I'm not a season pro. Most of the time I go through a personal friend who has an FFL but this last weekend I was out and about and stopped by Curts discount shooting supply to pick up a stripped lower for a project I'm doing.

I knew what I was looking for and what they should cost. knowing that I could get it cheaper online but would have to wait for it makes it work it just to go with the local guys who I know will have it to me. So long story short I walk up look at what they have, wait for the 2 guys behind the counter to finish their conversation, asked to buy one and we started doing the paperwork. The whole time I'm filling out the paperwork the guys are making a$$hat comments about both myself and the other customers in the store. I don't know if they thought they were being funny or not but it came across condescending and rude. Once the paperwork came through I was out of there and probably wont be back in for a very long time. One thing about this shop. Just 2 weeks ago I was in there and dropped almost $700 bucks on new rail, BCG, gas block, tube, barrel and stock, ect... The guy that I worked with the trip before was informed, courteous, and because of him attitude I spent more money that I had initially gone in for.

So I guess what my rant comes down to is that its important to support the little guy but if you are the little guy you need to make sure your employees are doing you justice. They probably lost out on an extra $200-$400 this weekend because of their employees.

If you are not a fan of that attitude never ever go to "discount gun sales" as the name is a huge contradiction and yet you get the customer service of a low end crappy place. 1500 for a fnx tactical??!! Ok well it is 1100 on average at 5 stores within a mile. 450 for a non threaded barrel SR22...No thanks and never again will I walk in those doors.

They are also all "experts" in there. I love knowing lots of first time gun owners walk in there having no clue just how screwed they are getting on price and advice. :mad:

What store was this, and did you tell the owner of your experience.......:confused:

"I can't fix what I don't know is broken":D:D

I VERY SELDOM walk away from a bad customer service experience without talkin' to the Boss...:D:(:)

I always do yet in some of the shops they seem to feel above customer service. Some are great of course and very apologetic. Always worth a try!

I did not wait to talk with owner and your right, you cant fix what you don't know about. That was probably a mistake on my part.
I was just going to let it go and not shop there for a while in hopes that it would be a different experience the next time I went in. (probably the definition of insanity) I tend to judge stores with my money instead of with comments online or with talking to the owner. I will spend more money and more often with a shop that I feel gives better service.

I did not wait to talk with owner and your right, you cant fix what you don't know about. That was probably a mistake on my part.
I was just going to let it go and not shop there for a while in hopes that it would be a different experience the next time I went in. (probably the definition of insanity) I tend to judge stores with my money instead of with comments online or with talking to the owner. I will spend more money and more often with a shop that I feel gives better service.

Understandable. I just owned a couple small restaurants for much of my life and if there was an issue I was very happy to know so I could make sure it never came up again. I try to do the same for others now. Just ingrained in me now!

I always go to a notable shop where folks complain about the attitudes. That being said, I walked in knowing what I wanted (Tavor) and the owner let me know he had one NIB on consignment for $350 less than new. I gave him cash and we both ended up happy. I know he's there to make money and he knows I'm there to part with as little as possible. Its not like we are bros and have to eat dinner together...its just business. :D

I like the little shops so I can actually touchy feely the guns. If it's a glock or a 1911,well I've seen and owned those,I may not need to hold it. But if it is a gun I have never handled,I would rather play with it before I buy it and realize the grip sucks or it's clunky.
Oh wait I own glocks,clunky is good.:rolleyes:
As far as employees,I would let them know right away if I didn't like their attitude and wouldn't care about or finish the sale if they were rude.And most definitely would ring the ear of the owner rather he cared or not.
Then come on here and let everyone know about the shop...by name.
Maybe I'm silly about principle though.The LGS owner up here seems to be too comfortable.I was going to make a trade but he had plans and told me to come back tomorrow.
He wasn't there the next day.
I haven't gone back. Didn't say anything because it was the owner that made the mistake.He'll figure it out.
And I started working with another LGS in town. I don't think,well I know,he isn't thee brightest GS owner ever but he listens some.And he's a new owner so he's willing to try to help.He does know guns and hunting though.

Anyway,I like the small shops close to home to hold the new guns I want to try

Yep you really need them small gun shops around to buy your guns after you are dead. Think how good you will feel knowing the new owner of your guns got such a good deal at the expense of your estate.:s0140:

I'm not so sure my vision of the afterlife is replete with misgivings regarding disposal of my earthly belongings.:cool:

A second point which may hold some bearing is that the gun was on consignment. Technically it still belonged to the original owner (in this case, my vision of the afterlife IS replete with BDL Varminters).

I'm not so sure my vision of the afterlife is replete with misgivings regarding disposal of my earthly belongings.:cool:

A second point which may hold some bearing is that the gun was on consignment. Technically it still belonged to the original owner (in this case, my vision of the afterlife IS replete with BDL Varminters).

It may make for a better afterlife with the small shop owner giving good deals on your guns to fellow shooters.:D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top