JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just picked up an FIE titan .25 yesterday (which looks like something an unsuccessful pimp would carry, with it's capgun quality chrome finish and all) and after comparing the size of the ammo to other pocket pistol calibers, I don't see why it's so weak. The case is the same length as .22lr, and just a little bit shorter than a .32, yet it has only about half the knockdown of either of those calibers.

I loaded up 3 rounds and fired it into the ground in our backyard, and it seemed pretty snappy, but when I tried to dig up the slugs to see how far they penetrated into the dirt, all I found was small bullet fragments a few inches down. This was 50gr FMJ too, which inspires even less confidence.

This isn't something I plan on carrying...ever, but I was just curious why .25 is so far off a .32 and even weaker than the smaller cased .22lr?

I also picked up a .22 jennings the other day, so now that I've got a very small collection of junk guns, I plan on doing some penetration tests with all of them to see just how crappy they really are, and I'll post some results.

I know the chronograph results from my keltec .32 was enough to make me wish I had went with the .380 instead.

I don't know that anyone gets .25 for "knockdown" capacity LOL. Though if you have a pocket gun with 7 or 8 capacity, you would certainly slow down a bad guy, they'd stop to pick the bullets out and give you time to run :)

Here's one for the successful pimp. pimp%20my%20gun.jpg

I don't know that anyone gets .25 for "knockdown" capacity LOL. Though if you have a pocket gun with 7 or 8 capacity, you would certainly slow down a bad guy, they'd stop to pick the bullets out and give you time to run :)

Its better than poking them with a stick. And its easier to carry my .25 when I wear a suit than it is to carry my full size steel 1911...

If I had the choice between a .25 & a rock, I'd take the rock.

Give me the .25. You'll lose.

If you can't incapacitate someone who's not hopped up on goofenpills with a .25, you need to spend more time at the range learning to hit your target. If someone is all hopped up, my .45 may not even make a difference...

I'm definitely not one of the young folks here, but I never remember a .25 being "the rage".:) Even 40 years ago we made fun of them.:s0112:

But..Even a lowly .25 semi has a place in the universe. Usually never as a primary or first choice weapon, but as a backup, or when ya truly could not carry a bigger gun, for any reason. It was the size of the gun, not the caliber, that made them at least a little bit popular. Then, on the rare occasion that a 1911 would seem out of place in your speedo's, or in your jogging shorts, the little .25 would be somewhat easier to conceal.:D

Now, folks are realizing that just some times, a little bitty gun does have a place, and the gun companies have capitalized on the size of a little bitty gun, but chambering it for at least a little more powerful cartridge, the .380, which we used to laugh at, also, and mostly still do.

Now...I've shot a lot of things, and critters, over a lot of years, and I know I don't want to get shot by anything. Not even a .25. And, even I might carry a .25, .32, or .380, if that was truly the only choice I had.

WAYNO.

I remember years ago shooting a .25 into a 2x4 or some odd piece of wood. The bullet stuck in the surface of the wood like a little lead dart. Then again so did an old .32 S&W. We shot .22lr at the same board and they went through. By no means was this any kind of scientific test. Nobody wants to get shot with anything. If I were to choose a caliber for a gun that could double as a suppository, I would go with a .22mag or at least .22lr stingers.

I classify the .25 as a "get off me" gun. You pull it out as the guy gets up close and personal, stick it in his eye socket, and pull the trigger till it goes click. I'm aware of one instance from the old rec.guns usenet forum where one was used and probably saved the guys life. If I can find his old post, I'll post it.

elsie

I think, as already mentioned, .25acp was popular on account of how tiny the guns that were chambered for it were. These days, I think it's a largely obsolete caliber because there are guns that are about almost as tiny, but lighter, that are chambered in .32 auto and .380.

Give me the .25. You'll lose.

If you can't incapacitate someone who's not hopped up on goofenpills with a .25, you need to spend more time at the range learning to hit your target. If someone is all hopped up, my .45 may not even make a difference...

I have killed alot of things with .22lr, .17HMR & a 22-250, hiting my target is not a problem. I am a big fan of small cals. but a 25 is NOT on that list. I just don't think any amount of time at the range is going to fix the FACT that a 25 is a P.O.S.:D

I hear all the .25acp nay sayers all the time. "the bullets well bounce off a leather jacket" :s0129: and so on and so forth. I have yet to find a single one that well volunteer to demonstrate this. I well gladly provide pistol and ammo.

I'm not advocating carrying a .25 for primary SD, but as a back up that well do what it was designed for. they are a belly gun, intended to used when your target is just feet away.

i would take the 22 over the 25 every time.
good small 25's are hard to come by but there are some very good small
22's out there.

booneh

This is the only reasonable argument that has been raised yet. I am fortunate enough to have an old, high quality, reliable .25 ACP pistol. Not many are around and those high-quality pistols that exist are out-numbered by the Lorcin's and Raven's. If you can find an old Colt pocket vest or CZ Model 45 or something of the like, they make excellent back-up or last ditch guns. Like I said, I can wear mine when larger guns are just not possible or practical.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top