JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
LOL
I could say the same thing about San Francisco

Well, the clothing optional beach between Pacifica and Half Moon Bay was pretty nice when I was stationed there. Used to visit SF a lot when I was a young man... Fillmore Auditorium and all that.

Today, the cartels are active there, just like in Portland, we just don't see them driving around in Technicals! :eek::eek::eek:

The tourist and business centric regions are fairly safe and I wouldn't hesitate to take my family for vacation.

That being said, trouble can find you quickly if your being a stupid Gringo, overtly obnoxious or flaunting some sort of wealth status.

Definitely stay away from the border regions and by security minded in general. Make secure transportation arrangements ahead of time, particularly from the airports.

My buddy that owns a winter beach home on the ocean side of Baja says the same thing... he goes every year and travels by car. I keep waiting to see his name in the news. I thought the tourist areas were safe until people started showing up around Cabo with their heads lopped off. We, my Coast Guard buddy and I, used to rent a car in Cabo, drive up the Pacific side of Baha, cross inland to La Paz, stop at Los Barriles, and then drive down the Gulf of Cali side at night (watch out for cattle!) back to the Westin at Cabo. I wouldn't do that now.

Fishing was fabulous for marlin, swordfish, dorado, wahoo, yellowtail tuna, and yellowfin tuna (sushi!!!!!). We were able to score a 28' boat with skipper and crew for $300/day + tips. I think that was about 20yrs ago, not sure. Great people! But competition was fierce for those tourist dollars and we got tired of hawkers trying to get our attention on the street, then getting pissed if we ignored them and calling us f'in gringo and trying to start a fight. Stupid gringo, eh. Don't got time to stop and listen to the spiel of every hawker on the street!!!

When I was a kid I used to travel with my friends family to a place on the north bay of Gulf of Calif called Rocky Point. Back then, 1950s-early 60s, it was just a small fishing village. Very very rural. Us kids loved it because we could buy firecrackers, cherry bombs, and M80s. I hear that now it is awash in condos and expats.

Last Edited:
Mexico has effectively banned firearms. So the result is that honest citizens do not have them and they get preyed on by corrupt government officials, police and gangs who are using the opportunity to ramp it up. The criminals have heavy weapons: RPG's, Grenades, .50- cal mounted machine guns.

A few years ago there were well over 100,000 people protesting all of the kidnappings that occur regularly in Mexico. Most of them blamed the police for it, claiming that they did it on the side for extra cash. It makes me reconsider this Judge Kozinski quote below:
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed - where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once. "

Anytime a democratic cadadate suggests we need to open our borders (which is something they all prostletize about, we need to put this video of the out of control gangs on an eternal loop for them to look at.

Have to agree showing clips of the gun violence in Mexico makes a poor argument for us to have an AR. One interesting thing is does show is look at this "gun free country". Anti love to say the solution to crime is to make guns illegal for law abiding to have. Well look here. A country were it is close to impossible for the average law abiding citizen to own a firearm. Wonder why there is all these clips then?

My buddy that owns a winter beach home on the ocean side of Baja says the same thing... he goes every year and travels by car. I keep waiting to see his name in the news. I thought the tourist areas were safe until people started showing up around Cabo with their heads lopped off. We, my Coast Guard buddy and I, used to rent a car in Cabo, drive up the Pacific side of Baha, cross inland to La Paz, stop at Los Barriles, and then drive down the Gulf of Cali side at night (watch out for cattle!) back to the Westin at Cabo. I wouldn't do that now.

Fishing was fabulous for marlin, swordfish, dorado, wahoo, yellowtail tuna, and yellowfin tuna (sushi!!!!!). We were able to score a 28' boat with skipper and crew for $300/day + tips. I think that was about 20yrs ago, not sure. Great people! But competition was fierce for those tourist dollars and we got tired of hawkers trying to get our attention on the street, then getting pissed if we ignored them and calling us f'in gringo and trying to start a fight. Stupid gringo, eh. Don't got time to stop and listen to the spiel of every hawker on the street!!!

When I was a kid I used to travel with my friends family to a place on the north bay of Gulf of Calif called Rocky Point. Back then, 1950s-early 60s, it was just a small fishing village. Very very rural. Us kids loved it because we could buy firecrackers, cherry bombs, and M80s. I hear that now it is awash in condos and expats.
When I was a kid we looked forward to the trips down to Rocky Point. The kids would work our butts off to gather cash to buy the fireworks we could not have here. Amazing all of us came back in one piece :D.
There are still some VERY nice resorts down there. When I know people who book a trip to go I warn them. Stay in the compound of the resort. Do not be tempted to catch a ride outside the safe zone. Every year some get in trouble down there and first thing they do is scream for the US Gov to help them out. They can have that mess. No way in hell would I still drive down there. Lot's of people get away with it but you are taking your life in your hands.

Thank you all for the comments.
I appreciate that some of you understood where I was trying to come from with all this.
But the range of replies here pretty much illustrate my point.

As for singling out an "AR" I was using the common fearful catch-all slang everyone seems to want to shirk from defending.

Not everyone has the luxury of living the life of an ostrich behind castle walls.
This is starting to be too common here on the west coast now - you'd have to be blind not to see it.
Because it's already here.

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

When I was a kid we looked forward to the trips down to Rocky Point. The kids would work our butts off to gather cash to buy the fireworks we could not have here. Amazing all of us came back in one piece :D.
There are still some VERY nice resorts down there. When I know people who book a trip to go I warn them. Stay in the compound of the resort. Do not be tempted to catch a ride outside the safe zone. Every year some get in trouble down there and first thing they do is scream for the US Gov to help them out. They can have that mess. No way in hell would I still drive down there. Lot's of people get away with it but you are taking your life in your hands.

I was never real fond of the idea of a vacation at a compound... too restrictive!!! When the Princess cruise ship we were on stopped in Jamaica, there was a 15' razor topped wall at the disembarkation point, all staffed by guards with genuine "assault rifles". We were told to take only approved tours and not to wander off. Just like Mexico. We were told lots of compound type resorts were there, especially on the north side of the island. I don't get it. And about 10yrs ago my daughter and SIL took in an all-inclusive weeklong compound vacay in.......... the Dominican Republic!!!!! :eek::eek::eek: All they did was eat, drink, lay in the sand, and go on the water toys just off the beach. No sightseeing or exploring the local fauna... Coulda done that anywhere!

Thank you all for the comments.
I appreciate that some of you understood where I was trying to come from with all this.
But the range of replies here pretty much illustrate my point.

As for singling out an "AR" I was using the common fearful catch-all slang everyone seems to want to shirk from defending.

Not everyone has the luxury of living the life of an ostrich behind castle walls.
This is starting to be too common here on the west coast now - you'd have to be blind not to see it.
Because it's already here.

View attachment 625855
We are the gun toting, bible clutching baskert of deplorables, we knows.

"Shirk from defending" eh?

I think sometimes it's better to read more and post less.

Wth? I've been here 2 years and read this everyday. I post very little. You've been at me 4 times in one post now. What gives?

There are literally thousands of posts here from Patriots willing to defend their constitutional rights at ALL costs.

Not much shirking going on around here. Some maybe, but certainly not "everyone". Not by a long shot.

And I'm not "at you". I'm just posting my thoughts. Nothing personal.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top