JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Exactly, whatever works for each individual is how they should actually train.
@Andy54Hawken mentioned that it's up to the carrier. I agree, but I can give some pretty good reasons why I carry with the chamber charged.

I had lunch with my co-worker and his son a couple of weeks ago. Son is carrying small Glock and complains about holster placement when we sit in the booth cuz he's carrying small of back. Through conversation I find he's carrying empty chamber.

He's very likely to become a police officer soon. Wonder how long he'll continue to carry empty after he's a cop?

I have watched hundreds of self defense shootings on Youtube, I have seen exactly ZERO rack a slide.
It only took one video of a self defense situation to convince me that condition one is the way to go. That video tragically showed a shop owner who wasn't able to rack his slide in time to avoid being shot to death. My immediate thought was, "Yeah, that'd be me".

It's obviously up to the individual. However, I would have to agree with the concept of it takes longer in actual self protection… one more thing to do in stressful situations… elevated heart rate etc etc… just like carrying a 1911 for self defense cocked and locked vs carrying a Glock already with one in the chamber as well… that safety on the 1911 will with almost 90 percent certainty cause you to squeeze the trigger with the safety still engaged in an actual self defense situation. Regardless of how many times you practice it. Personally avoidance of bad situations is the highest priority outside of actual stress induced training. Now if you had to use it because it's unavoidable like in the video… round in the chamber and you better believe that second mag is getting used as well.

@Andy54Hawken mentioned that it's up to the carrier. I agree, but I can give some pretty good reasons why I carry with the chamber charged.

I had lunch with my co-worker and his son a couple of weeks ago. Son is carrying small Glock and complains about holster placement when we sit in the booth cuz he's carrying small of back. Through conversation I find he's carrying empty chamber.

He's very likely to become a police officer soon. Wonder how long he'll continue to carry empty after he's a cop?
Probably won't make it out of the Academy without it cemented into his brain. (I hope)

Carrying with an empty chamber is dumb if you are a security guard or cop. Civilians may have reasons for not wanting to do so that make sense.

just like carrying a 1911 for self defense cocked and locked vs carrying a Glock already with one in the chamber as well… that safety on the 1911 will with almost 90 percent certainty cause you to squeeze the trigger with the safety still engaged in an actual self defense situation.
Is that why my thumb is pushing the safety off when I carry a revolver? Oh, wait! I'm backwards.

I've carried a 1911 so long that it's ingrained in my head. It's also a motion carried out on the draw. You certainly aren't going to be racking the slide with the ease and speed of releasing a thumb safety.

Civilians may have reasons for not wanting to do so that make sense.
Their reasons might make sense to some. I've never heard one that I thought was a compelling reason.

I've also been able to make many people roll their eyes at some of the stuff I do. :s0073:

For awhile I carried a Ruger Old Model Blackhawk ( un-altered for the transfer safety bar )
That revolver was carried with an empty chamber.
Some guns are better to be carried with a empty chamber.

And yes I know that a single action revolver is a uncommon choice nowadays for concealed carry.
With that said....I could shoot very well with that revolver...so it was a good choice for me and my situation at that time.

Again I would suggest that one carries their firearm , in a manner that is safe and effective for them and their situation.
Andy

Is that why my thumb is pushing the safety off when I carry a revolver? Oh, wait! I'm backwards.

I've carried a 1911 so long that it's ingrained in my head. It's also a motion carried out on the draw. You certainly aren't going to be racking the slide with the ease and speed of releasing a thumb safety.
And I have watched guys that have carried a 1911 since the 70's go to classes where they induce stress and everyone has squeezed the trigger with the safety still engaged at least once and you can see the muzzle dip because of it. It just happens. I carry a 1911, Kimber Micro 9 and even Sig 938… I expect it to happen if I get stressed out… I am also pretty calm most of the time… trained in stress but I also carry a snub revolver that works regardless of anything else. Just depends on what hand is closest to what pistol

For awhile I carried a Ruger Old Model Blackhawk ( un-altered for the transfer safety bar )
That revolver was carried with an empty chamber.
Some guns are better to be carried with a empty chamber.

And yes I know that a single action revolver is a uncommon choice nowadays for concealed carry.
With that said....I could shoot very well with that revolver...so it was a good choice for me and my situation at that time.

Again I would suggest that one carries their firearm , in a manner that is safe and effective for them and their situation.
Andy
That's better than having to ram your rod down the barrel of your dueling pistol before the perp gets the drop on you!

That's cheating, Andy! I didn't mention that because it's not like you have to do anything different to fire the revolver. I was gonna make a sideways crack about that earlier, but you kinda took care of that for me.

I've owned a couple of Three Screw Rugers and have one Colt. All "unsafe" with a full cylinder.

5 beans in the wheel. Load one, skip one, load four more.;)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top