JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Call me Mr Negative:s0114::s0114: Common sense is all that will keep anyone alive and that takes putting yourself in the shoes of others. Figure what they are going to do and you will know what you need to do. If you figure wrong then:s0131::s0131::D:D:s0112:

jj

I personally believe idea of bugging out grew from the book of Revelations. I won't discuss it here as its against the rules. Just stating a point of view to the original question "why bug out", no need to discuss it. Just read it and you will see my point.

after spending time on the highways during the holidays.....I am convinced there is no way any of us (in the Puget Sound region) are going anywhere in the event of a disaster....the highways will be parking lots and you will not get more than 5 miles from home.

We are better off building a network of prepared neighbors, share our skills and defend what we have saved up.

after spending time on the highways during the holidays.....I am convinced there is no way any of us (in the Puget Sound region) are going anywhere in the event of a disaster....the highways will be parking lots and you will not get more than 5 miles from home.

We are better off building a network of prepared neighbors, share our skills and defend what we have saved up.

What a lot of people do not consider. If simple holiday shopping and normal commuter traffic clog the roads like they do now, can you imagine half the populace fleeing urban areas, throw in a few infrastructure disruptions, a couple of insurgent activities and you are history.

This applies to any metro area of any size, even down to the smaller towns. If SHTF, I want to be able to access my home location ASAP. If I make a trip of any distance, my load reflects that goal.

Unless you're on a bike! :s0155:

Picture001.jpg

Why bug out......
Because if it gets hot & heavy there are very few homes that are defensible. This isnt the middle east.
We dont build our houses with 8 ft high 2 ft thick clay walls around them. The walls hardly stop an arrow, let alone projectile traveling 2000 to 3500 fps.
Unless you live in one with 18" concrete walls.
It will take serious happenings for people to bug out, but when and if you need to you best have things ready to go.

just a thought: was in a parking structure for 8 hours the other day. Remarkable how well built they are, like ww2 nazi bunkers, almost. Was thinking if shtf and you are stuck with blocked roads and no way home, this wouldn't be a bad spot to hole up for a while. Limited access and good cover, with 2 or 3 others (in similar circumstances) it could be a good refuge.

Depends on the scenario. For sure I don't want to leave my home, but I might have to for

civil war (maybe)
riots (less likely bug out)
earthquake (maybe)
flooding
volcano (if there's time)
nuclear explosion (if there's time)
loss of power to house in winter (short bug out)

In some cases I need to bug, but I don't know where to yet.

What he ^ said. I've paid on my house for 10 years. I'd hate to leave it to the savages. I live far enough out of Seattle that It may not be so bad where I live.

If it all goes to crap, then I'd bail and head further out. I choose not to plan on a specific location. For all I know, if i were to set a place up, I'd never make it there anyway.

I'm within a few miles of the Cascades. Walking distance. I'd head east to the mountains.

No one WANTS to leave their home.
Just remember the average home is NOT defendable if all hell breaks out. You can be shot out and or burned out in minutes in a worst case scenario, and by the time you wait for that to happen it will be too late to get out.
To each their choice.

OK so the house is indefensible.
The car is defensible? Not likely.
What are the routs out of town going to be like?
Probably bands of roving thugs and ambushes? Could be bad guy snipers too
How about you get out of town on the front of the rush. what if someone decides you look like someone to follow?
What are the locals at your destination going to be like?
You thin they want you there or trust you?

You should have a destination that you have been to for years ahead. Made acquaintances and such. Have people that trust you.
I know I have said this before but you will have to play the odds and take an impromptu vacation and try to guess if it's going off.
Cause if you wait,you won't be going anywhere but where the POS' deflect you to with blocked roads and gun fire.

how is that going to be? Getting shot at from all directions while trying to get out of Dodge? At least at you home you know the area and the people. You should have already reconned the neighborhood
Remember if you have thought of a way out,so has some good guys and some bad guys.

Good luck

Think you will be safer on the road?

This is a great question and one that folks need to consider carefully before making a decision to bug out. Having grown up in the country with lots of snow and cold, I know that it's quite possible to survive in extreme conditions for a time. However, when faced with cold and possibly snow/ice as well as experiencing shortages of; food, water, medicines, warmth, safety and comforts most will not be able to endure. Most people don't have the necessary skill or ability to endure the conditions of an extended bugout. Many will become desperate along their bug out journey and will attempt to poach farm animals with the result being retaliation from the owner and friends. Others in their bug out journey will be faced with peril and will try to steal what they need. This will put them at high risk of injury/death. Still others will see members of their party succumb to hypothermia or starvation or more likely illness. Bugging out with their supplies will also make a party an attractive target for marauders.

If the bug out is to a nearby but more defensible and stocked location, it may very well be a good decision. If however the intention is to bug out without a very specific plan and destination, the danger may out weight any possible benefit.

This is a great question and one that folks need to consider carefully before making a decision to bug out. Having grown up in the country with lots of snow and cold, I know that it's quite possible to survive in extreme conditions for a time. However, when faced with cold and possibly snow/ice as well as experiencing shortages of; food, water, medicines, warmth, safety and comforts most will not be able to endure. Most people don't have the necessary skill or ability to endure the conditions of an extended bugout. Many will become desperate along their bug out journey and will attempt to poach farm animals with the result being retaliation from the owner and friends. Others in their bug out journey will be faced with peril and will try to steal what they need. This will put them at high risk of injury/death. Still others will see members of their party succumb to hypothermia or starvation or more likely illness. Bugging out with their supplies will also make a party an attractive target for marauders.

If the bug out is to a nearby but more defensible and stocked location, it may very well be a good decision. If however the intention is to bug out without a very specific plan and destination, the danger may out weight any possible benefit.

You spelled it out very clearly.
We are average folk, but I spent many a growing up year living in a tent alongside some damned bridge my dad was building. Usually out on some remote forest road. Those green steel bridges on the upper clackamas.....he built most of them in the ironworkers all his life. We spent as much time out there in remote parts of oregon.

We have lived for days and up to 2 weeks dug into the side of mt hood in snow caves to gain experience.
Last time was up off the elliot glacier for 2 weeks during the search for Kelly James, Brian and the 3 man climbing party that was lost. It was an interesting 2 weeks.
To get brief, we spent most of our life out there and on a farm.
Surviving for an extended time is one damned tough way to go, but it is doable. At least 15 to 20 % of the people can do it. For those that have never lived that way, I would give them maybe 2 weeks and that would be days in winter. Personally I would prefer to be in the cascades at lower elevation than in any city.
That is in the worst case scenario.
Shelter, the ability to stay dry, and comprehending that nearly every waking hr will be used acquiring food and potable water will he the primary thing they will be doing.
That is what most wont realize.
There is a very big difference in a weekend camping trip and a sustainable living environment that could change in a moments notice.
Interactions with others that will be out there is a whole other learning curve. All of it is far better to us than a rounded up, disarmed or continuous firefight in an urban or inner city environment would he.

All of it is the reason for people to get off their azzes and fight this all politically with tenacity NOW. Before it reaches that point and that clock is ticking.

:s0054::s0054::s0054::s0054:

You spelled it out very clearly.
We are average folk, but I spent many a growing up year living in a tent alongside some damned bridge my dad was building. Usually out on some remote forest road. Those green steel bridges on the upper clackamas.....he built most of them in the ironworkers all his life. We spent as much time out there in remote parts of oregon.

We have lived for days and up to 2 weeks dug into the side of mt hood in snow caves to gain experience.
Last time was up off the elliot glacier for 2 weeks during the search for Kelly James, Brian and the 3 man climbing party that was lost. It was an interesting 2 weeks.
To get brief, we spent most of our life out there and on a farm.
Surviving for an extended time is one damned tough way to go, but it is doable. At least 15 to 20 % of the people can do it. For those that have never lived that way, I would give them maybe 2 weeks and that would be days in winter. Personally I would prefer to be in the cascades at lower elevation than in any city.
That is in the worst case scenario.
Shelter, the ability to stay dry, and comprehending that nearly every waking hr will be used acquiring food and potable water will he the primary thing they will be doing.
That is what most wont realize.
There is a very big difference in a weekend camping trip and a sustainable living environment that could change in a moments notice.
Interactions with others that will be out there is a whole other learning curve. All of it is far better to us than a rounded up, disarmed or continuous firefight in an urban or inner city environment would he.

All of it is the reason for people to get off their azzes and fight this all politically with tenacity NOW. Before it reaches that point and that clock is ticking.

IN MOST CASES......
people DO NOT have the skills,ability,or DESIRE to live in severe conditions.
Most will fold and head back,looking for help

If it gets this bad in my lifetime,I'll die on my feet,not my knees

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews