JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Why are used firearm asking prices still so high even after Oregon and Washington UBC?

When I first asked someone about this two years ago the response was "Some people will pay a premium to make a purchase that does not get recorded by the state" which made sense to me. And most sellers ask for a CHL/CPL so nothing criminal is going on.

Now that both Oregon and Washington require UBC on private sales, why are used firearm asking prices still so high?

Nobody wants to pay over internet new prices for your dirty pistol, half a box of off brand cartridges and sweat stained carry holster!

Well, if you're assuming that everyone is actually following SB941, it might not make sense. But my guess is many folks are still paying a premium to 'stay off the books'. As it was noted in another thread, only 65 personal sale transfers were recorded in August. That seems quite low to me, especially considering how many ads there are on this site and others.

As for other reasons, well, there is still the big BO in office. And since he tends to generate concern for gun owners, I suspect prices have stayed up as a result. Couple that with the human nature to get as much as you can out of your sale, and that probably accounts for at least some of it.

I guess that makes sense, but anything bought new on the books after 8/8/2015 would need an Oregon background check if resold or someone would have some 'spaining to do if Johny Law ever ran that gun's serial number.

In WA the used market is super stagnant. You see the same guns in the classifieds for months and months. So everyone seems to just be sitting on what they've got and sellers aren't hard up enough for cash to lower prices too much or they just sell it to the LGS so they don't even have to bother with the BS hassle.

Less money floating around so people are trying to get a premium because they have less OR/AND they want somebody to trade them.

Oh and there is that law that people are supposed to comply with.

Supply and Demand

Tangent: It could be argued in a court of law that we are in fact closely-related (much more-so than not related at all); using DNA mapping technology, there is a good chance it would be difficult for the politburo to prove otherwise.

All the "talk" about unity, sharing, getting along, and collectiveness; and the politburo wants to balkanized us down to birth records when it suits their needs.

So an undocumented alien (Victor) can xfer a firearm to his undocumented brother (Hanz), and there would be no way for the politburo to prove otherwise...

Dorks.

I was thinking with Sb941 maybe the balance of power is it in the seller or buyers hands? Right before SB941 went into affect people were trying to sell SKS's for 800.00 on facebook and armslist perhaps they were hoping to get panic buys?

If people are following SB941 seems the seller would have the issue more then a buyer, cause one can either go meet a seller agree on a price find an ffl and then wait for a transaction. Of one can walk to a gun store fill out basically the same papers wait 30 minutes and leave, owning a used or new , or new used doesn't matter really if one is following SB941.

If one was "not" following SB941 it would be a sellers market as people would want to buy off the record. Selling really has little benefit if following SB941 for a buyer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess that makes sense, but anything bought new on the books after 8/8/2015 would need an Oregon background check if resold or someone would have some 'spaining to do if Johny Law ever ran that gun's serial number.

Agreed. But likely, there are more than a few guns out there that pre-date 941.

I think there is another piece here. I think that OFF cited that when there is a sb 941 transfer BOTH the buyer and seller are recorded. The sb 941 statue did not cite this procedure.

I think it has a lot to do with sellers tightening up and not wanting to go through the hassle of selling. I also think that your $300 deal isn't going to happen much because that $300 doesn't go as far as it did just a few years ago due to inflation/cost of living.

Also, 30 minute BGC's are a pipe dream most days. The last couple I have done since 941 went into effect were 2+ hours :confused: Instant my bubblegum

For it not to be effective one could buy new a firearm after 8/8 say on Sept 24 and then sell it private without SB941. There would be a clear trail you bought new and attempted to circumvent the law.

When SB941 was in legislation many did not understand that eventually there would be a tipping point where guns purchased after 8/8/2015 would become the main resource and hence would require "anyone" transferring said firearm to have a BCG for with out a BGC would one wouldautomatically break the law.

What this means is there will I am sure be a tipping point for private sellers, as the inventory they can not unloaded without SB941 due to purchase date, and will eventually out number those purchased before 8/8/2015. It might be decades but it will occur unless SB941 is reversed.

Last edited by a moderator:
For it not to be effective one could not buy new a firearm after 8/8 say on Sept 24 and then sell it private without SB941. There would be a clear trail you bought new and attempted to circumvent the law.

When SB941 was in legislation many did not understand that eventually there would be a tipping point where guns purchased after 8/8/2015 would become the main resource and hence would require "anyone" transferring said firearm to have a BCG for with out a BGC would one wouldautomatically break the law.

What this means is there will I am sure be a tipping point for private sellers, as the inventory they can not unloaded without SB941 due to purchase date, and will eventually out number those purchased before 8/8/2015. It might be decades but it will occur unless SB941 is reversed.

You can still sell out of state through an ffl and avoid sb941 all together. It's legal through an ffl and you cut oregon out of transfer money.

You can still sell out of state through an ffl and avoid sb941 all together. It's legal through an ffl and you cut oregon out of transfer money.

Yep, but sure isnt as fun as taking a short drive maybe having some coffee with a buyer/seller
and making the event enjoyable. I really like to see whom I sell or buy from, even if it was through a FFL.

High list prices bolster people for newer listings... they glance around, see everyone else is selling their $500 guns for $475 used, and so price similarly. What they aren't seeing is that those guns are sitting at those prices, not "going" for those prices.

Unfortunately, you also have the occasional joe that'll pay those prices. He wants to spend as little as possible because he's a broke hoe and figures $25 saved is $25 saved... so rather than spite the ertards selling their used bubblegum too high and just buy new, they'll pay the ridiculously high used price. I see this a LOT with used climbing gear.... you have to have it to climb, and there's a lot of broke bubblegum dumbbubblegum kids who can't afford the sport trying to buy in.

People have always asked too much for there guns, cars, boat's, Houses, and everything else!

And I have always offered to little! ;)

It's the times that the seller and I are flexible. That a deal is reached.
And I have bought many guns at good prices. You just have to keep looking and buy when a deal presents it's self.

Be ready to pay. If you want a deal.
The reason ''Money talks''. Is because so few have it. When a deal could have been made.

Cause the prices of new are high?
:eek::eek:
That seems quite low to me, especially considering how many ads there are on this site and others.
:eek::eek:
You're not suggesting the fine folk of NWFA are,are
Say it ain't so:rolleyes:
Apparently WA gun owners ain't doing it either
Well this will keep the prices of used worse than they used to be

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top