JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Wow... 11 pages went so fast.

I fear nothing, but am prepared for anything.

Ive carried a gun on me for 13 years now. Never once needed it. Thought I might a couple of times.

Its about having it and not needing it vs needing it and not having it.

In the end, this isnt some burden Ive taken on in my life... that I have to because something can happen. Its just one more thing I leave the house with. Its a big responsibility but not a big deal.

Its like a spare key... or having gloves and a flashlight in the car.

I lived in Idaho for 38 years. Wont move back ever, and the wife said she would divorce me if I tried. She lived there with me, we were married there, all 3 of my children born there, and I will NEVER go back to that Nazi police state..ever. I have traveled and worked in most every state west of the Mississippi. I drove truck in the 80's across this country at least a half dozen times north to south east to west and back. I don't like oppressive humidity so most the south is out. i did two tours in North Dakota oilfields and that place is hot and humid in the summer with mosquitoes from hell and then 50 below in the winter.. keep that. MAYBE I would live in the Globe/Miami area of Arizona if I was to move from here as their gun laws rock and the area is about right for my tastes weather wise. I am mostly a desert rat as I loved living in Las Vegas during the construction boom of 2004 till the crash of 2007. But for now, these dying towns out in the wheat fields on the edge of Idaho's wilderness fits the bill just fine.

AND I detest state income taxes.

Idaho a nazi police state? What part of Idaho did you live in?????? I was born and raised in Idaho, making plans to move back now. If you want to see what a police state is like, come live in Seattle for a spell.

:s0085::s0085::s0085:
Idaho a nazi police state? What part of Idaho did you live in?????? I was born and raised in Idaho, making plans to move back now. If you want to see what a police state is like, come live in Seattle for a spell.

Bonners Ferry.

Home of Christopher Boyce, Randy Weaver and Ruby Ridge, (knew him and his family) up yours- US Marshals- FBI murdering swine!
  • :s0085:

Drive from the 100 mile constitutional free zone from the border of Canada where you can be stopped and searched at will down to Coeurdalene and tell me how many state patrol, county mounty, and city police you encounter. Also remember the feds are entrenched considering the US Forest Service, border patrol and the left over spooks from years gone by running amok. Central is not as bad but still, why do i want to fill out two income tax returns and pay for the right to have a state trooper in my rear view mirror all the time? That really doesn't make me feel safer, does it you?

Keep Idaho, the winters suck,. horse and deer flys and no seeums, mosquitoes the size of small birds and the moose are aggressive. (attacked twice).
And I already told you I wouldn't live on the coast for no amount of money.

Plus.. they gave the lesbian man hating Forest Service agents guns..

Plus Plus, I don't know when the last time you were there, but i went back to bury a life long friend a couple 4 years ago and that place is getting crowded! Everyone is packed into the valleys b/c all the rest is gov owned forest service that the bastards gated off so you cant go into "our" forests// I built a lot of those logging roads with OUR tax dollars and now I am banned from traveling on them unless I want to walk. .. *sigh*

oh well.. typical government. they always harm those they are elected to protect, always.

study your history,,

Last Edited:
Im not going to read over 12 pages of replies to your question before giving my answer.... Why do people prepare and carry a firearm? Why do you have a fire extinguisher in your house? why do you have car insurance? Its not that you hope that you will ever need it, but you know it is there in the event that you do need it.

I hope to go the rest of my life without having to take a life (been 50 years so far) but I will carry to make sure that no one cuts it short because I was not prepared to defend myself.

Well it seems that I have invited a lot of hostility towards me with my question. I wish I had the capacity to have worded it in less of a confrontational way.
I posted the question out of a concern I had about all the mental and emotional energy that I have seen in the idea of killing another person. It was an observation of some, and not an all encompassing judgment on any majority of gun owners. My interests in firearms are very different than others in this observation, and I was truly only posting my question to discuss the idea rather than instigate defensive emotional response.
I have learned a lot with this post. I really feel no need to defend myself against the personal attacks to my moral values in question. Again, I thought this was a place to have civil discussion, and I am quite overwhelmed by the response.

It's the same fear that the NRA has used for the last 40 years to promote their brand. When I was a kid the NRA was a gun SAFETY group and promoted hunter safety. They realized as the culture became more urban and less rural that they needed to keep up with the times so they turned away from hunting and promoted "protection" but in order to push that agenda they had to get people on board so they started promoting fear. Fear of break ins, fear of robberies, fear of car jackings. Just fear.

I wish I could follow a conversation thread without discrediting other's views here. Unfortunately I have neither the experience nor bandwidth to be able to do so. So many people here said so many interesting things. But as I said, the hostility toward me is a very absolute turn off to what could have otherwise been a intelligent conversation.
Thank you all for sharing your thoughts, ideas, beliefs and experiences.
I have read them all, and will probably need months to process them :)

Last Edited:
I lived in Idaho for 38 years. Won't move back ever, and the wife said she would divorce me if I tried. She lived there with me, we were married there, all 3 of my children born there, and I will NEVER go back to that Nazi police state...ever

My family and I love it here and have no idea what the heck you're going on about...but to each his own. One explanation could be that things have apparently normalized upon your exit and subsequent promise to never return...
....Sooo, :s0067:..??

Odd, that after 38 years in Bonners Ferry you don't know how to spell Coeur d'Alene.

Last Edited:
Well it seems that I have invited a lot of hostility towards me with my question. I wish I had the capacity to have worded it in less of a confrontational way.
I posted the question out of a concern I had about all the mental and emotional energy that I have seen in the idea of killing another person. It was an observation of some, and not an all encompassing judgment on any majority of gun owners. My interests in firearms are very different than others in this observation, and I was truly only posting my question to discuss the idea rather than instigate defensive emotional response.
I have learned a lot with this post. I really feel no need to defend myself against the personal attacks to my moral values in question. Again, I thought this was a place to have civil discussion, and I am quite overwhelmed by the response.

I wish I could follow a conversation thread without discrediting other's views here. Unfortunately I have neither the experience nor bandwidth to be able to do so. So many people here said so many interesting things. But as I said, the hostility toward me is a very absolute turn off to what could have otherwise been a intelligent conversation.
I think you see what a real Troll is now, (You quoted his post,) and can see why some here made the assumption ( incorrectly) that you had the same motives. Maybe ask your questions differently, I'm sure you have seen most of us have reasonable and intelligent answers that might help explain things so you have a better idea of where most of us come from.

Your questions hit a very emotional touch point for many of us here. The questions are a check of peoples moral compass, and as such, invokes an emotional response. Your questions are quite valid, and while poorly asked, I think you did get many, many honest and sincere answers from most of us. The question of having to Kill another human is quite a subject, one with huge morality issues and rightly, something that we take VERY, VERY seriously!

My family and I love it here and have no idea what the heck you're going on about...but to each his own. One explanation could be that things have apparently normalized upon your exit and subsequent promise to never return...
....Sooo, :s0067:..??

Odd, that after 38 years in Bonners Ferry you don't know how to spell Coeur d'Alene.
Coeurdalene..
I can spell it just lazy, I hope you like breathing that stinking air in Lewiston, horrible air quality..but to each his own.

http://www.nezperce.org/official/Air Quality/Airtoxics/airtoxics.htm

enjoy your cancer,

:s0085::s0085::s0085:

Bonners Ferry.

Home of Christopher Boyce, Randy Weaver and Ruby Ridge, (knew him and his family) up yours- US Marshals- FBI murdering swine!
  • :s0085:

Drive from the 100 mile constitutional free zone from the border of Canada where you can be stopped and searched at will down to Coeurdalene and tell me how many state patrol, county mounty, and city police you encounter. Also remember the feds are entrenched considering the US Forest Service, border patrol and the left over spooks from years gone by running amok. Central is not as bad but still, why do i want to fill out two income tax returns and pay for the right to have a state trooper in my rear view mirror all the time? That really doesn't make me feel safer, does it you?

Keep Idaho, the winters suck,. horse and deer flys and no seeums, mosquitoes the size of small birds and the moose are aggressive. (attacked twice).
And I already told you I wouldn't live on the coast for no amount of money.

Plus.. they gave the lesbian man hating Forest Service agents guns..

Plus Plus, I don't know when the last time you were there, but i went back to bury a life long friend a couple 4 years ago and that place is getting crowded! Everyone is packed into the valleys b/c all the rest is gov owned forest service that the bastards gated off so you cant go into "our" forests// I built a lot of those logging roads with OUR tax dollars and now I am banned from traveling on them unless I want to walk. .. *sigh*

oh well.. typical government. they always harm those they are elected to protect, always.

study your history,,

I grew up about 40 miles from the Nevada border, It is nothing like that. Few people, small government. And true you have a state income tax however here in Washington where I have a personal property tax, 9.5% sales tax and pay property taxes of over $4000 a year having to send the state a $1000 a year sounds pretty attractive.

Idaho is one of the most conservative states in the nation, It hasn't elected a Democrat to state office since 1964.

If you think its a "police state" I am afraid you are going to have to leave the US to find someplace that better suits you.

http://www.idahoednews.org/news/idaho-ranks-no-46-in-education-week-report/

this is something to be proud of. Maybe people are not smart enough to move?

Its because there is no tax base, no money and small government. Excatlly the reasons why I want to be there.

You can't have it both ways. Yes there is not much money for education or roads but if there was 10 million people there and you could have government to support those things then it would be just like Washington, A liberal hell hole with nice scenery

And better schools.

Hey, sorry about your coastal capture. The Seattle area has one of the highest suicide rates in the US. It rains and then it rains and then when it is not raining it rains, Very depressing. But you see, I can live anywhere I want as my occupation allows me to travel across the country and the world if a mind to and with the internet I am pretty much free to go where ever I choose. The wife and I am very happy here, we can see Idaho just don't have to pay double for food, income taxes, and subsist with 80 IQ redneck toothless methheads. Property taxes?.. lol you wouldn't believe what I pay.

I suppose if you are from the Mormon faith the south could be exactly what you are looking for. But the weather patterns of the pnw, if you pay attention puts the Palouse in a 8 month growing season. Some years, like last year, we have no snow and one year we had robins year round. The robins almost always show up in January here.

Coming from the frozen "Upper Siberia" (mother in law called it that lol) to the Palouse was like moving to Hawaii in comparison.

Oh and I left out one more thing, our back roads are smoother and better maintained than Idaho's main roads. Saves me a lot in wheel alignments

Last Edited:

I met a several members from the forum in person at a few clean ups and between that and hanging out here for a while I dont get a sense that anyone is interested in killing anyone. Or even advocating violence. You might also see people get upset when we hear a story about brandishing or pulling a gun when there is no threat of injury.

There is a lot of enthusiasm here for firearms as a sport and hobby, reliance on self rather than others, and desire for autonomy. We're continually under fire as a group that we are all potentially dangerous people because we own guns and could snap at any moment. We're continually told by our government that we are not trustworthy enough to own guns.

But I've been here a while and I cant remember even one story about a member pulling their gun and shooting someone. I also dont get a sense that anyone here would kill someone to prevent a theft if no one was at risk for harm.

So I think you might be confusing enthusiasm for firearms and the sport with desire to do violence or that we value human life less than others.

So dont take anything said here personally. If you want to discuss something controversial like suggesting gun owners are scared for wanting to own a gun then expect some "passionate discourse"

http://www.idahoednews.org/news/idaho-ranks-no-46-in-education-week-report/

this is something to be proud of. Maybe people are not smart enough to move?

I'm reading this and come to the part where they say "3 and 4 year-olds not in Pre school" What the hell! They want parent to leave their kids with strangers at 3 and 4 years old? And leave them at "Full Day" kindergarten? Sheezus, how long before "THE STATE" takes you kids at birth and raises them for you? If I were a parent there'd be NO leaving my kids at that young age in a school setting, part time OR full time! Good for Idaho!

I'm reading this and come to the part where they say "3 and 4 year-olds not in Pre school" What the hell! They want parent to leave their kids with strangers at 3 and 4 years old? And leave them at "Full Day" kindergarten? Sheezus, how long before "THE STATE" takes you kids at birth and raises them for you? If I were a parent there'd be NO leaving my kids at that young age in a school setting, part time OR full time! Good for Idaho!
This day and age with the schools being nothing but sysop centers and the invent of the internet, I would demand my children to be home schooled. BUT, my daughter got a scholarship to Pullman and was on the deans list 4 years in a row and graduated in microbiology and is now living in the hell hole of Kalifornia, but for some reason she seems happy. Maybe it is because she married a veterinarian with his own practice and they pull in so much money they pay more in income taxes than what I make? Her ranch is nice too.

"BCEH concludes that breathing the air in the Lewiston and Clarkston area will not result in an elevated cancer risk."**
I can spell it just lazy
enjoy your cancer,

**From the very report you reference...guess you can't spell OR read.

You admit you're lazy...and then misspell Coeur D'Alene again showing your purposeful ignorance.

Then follow up by seemingly wanting me to get cancer.

You further follow up with a moronic attempt to belittle a large group of people with a falsely premised tooth brush "joke".

Then double down with a weak attempt to imply that the population is ignorant because we don't spend as much as more wasteful States do on their Government Youth Indoctrination Centers.

It would appear to most reasonable people that your departure and self-induced exile has improved the State...and for that, I thank you.

But to each his own ...
We should now get back to our regular programming .

Last Edited:
Status

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews