JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Auburn police said that shortly before 6:30 a.m., the suspect got into a Toyota Camry that was left running and tried to steal it from the driveway.

The homeowner, who was inside, saw what was happening on his security cameras and then ran outside, confronted the suspect and then shot the man, Crossley said.

After the suspect was shot, he ran from the home only to be caught by Auburn officers a few blocks away.

Should have grabbed a cup of coffee and let it do it's thing while in the car.

Don't think that's going to go over very well unless the thief started slinging lead first.

Last weekend some guy was getting pulled from his car outside my house and was getting the snot beat out of him.
Turns out he grabbed the car while the owner went into 7-11 and left it running in front.
Last I seen them the guy was getting chased down another cul-de-sac on foot.
I went back to my nap on the couch, no one called it in.

Remember when horse thieves would get shot/hung for stealing a man's horse because doing so left a man on foot in the middle of nowhere?
1677528336348.png

There is no hero in this story.

I can see brandishing or showing thief I'm armed and see what he's doing, but defense of personal property (the castle doctrine assumes the occupants of said "castle" are threatened) is not a defense to assault with a deadly weapon, manslaughter or murder. I find Massad annoying, like a know-it-all granddad, but he knows his stuff related to avoiding arrest related to firearms.

Back when I worked there, we called Auburn "Hell town." If you looked long enough, there was an Auburn connection to every infamous event that occurred on earth.

Last Edited:
Suppose that thief takes your car to plow through an Easter Parade or grabs a kid on the way out of town.

Criminals don't just stop committing crimes. They stop when people catch them and stop them. They also don't stick to one crime. They're just going to move to the next person and that person may not be able to defend themselves or make a difference as well as you may. If you don't have the means of doing something... then by all means, it's better if you leave it.

I'm not calling anyone a coward for making their choice in the matter. I just had a friend enlighten me on my "not worth it" approach to a similar situation to the first sentence and I realized I never looked at it that way.

There is no hero in this story.

I can see brandishing or showing thief I'm armed and see what he's doing, but defense of personal property (the castle doctrine assumes the occupants of said "castle" are threatened) is not a defense to assault with a deadly weapon, manslaughter or murder. I find Massad annoying, like a know-it-all granddad, but he knows his stuff related to avoiding arrest related to firearms.
Devil is in the details.

Did the thief try to run over the owner?

Did the thief display a gun or assault the owner?

First reports almost always leave out a lot of details like this.

i see ZERO issues with this homeowner shooting the would-be car thief. I honestly wish that more victims of crime were able to, or simply did, use lethal force. There MUST be consequences or crime will continue to run rampant.

i see ZERO issues with this homeowner shooting the would-be car thief. I honestly wish that more victims of crime were able to, or simply did, use lethal force. There MUST be consequences or crime will continue to run rampant.
That's not a great look for responsible gun owners IMO. Lots of junkie dirtballs do get clean and sober and have productive lives and renewed relationships with their families, kids etc. You may even know some. Who am I to decide that my, hopefully insured loss, is more valuable than their life? I know many will disagree.

However, the refusal to let someone take one's property might cause said criminal to threaten bodily harm, and then law abiding citizen may be free to counter it. The problem for law abiding folks who enjoy living is it's foolish to wait until the threat is clear if it's even a possibility. If law abiding citizen screws it up that means arrest, possible trial and tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees to avoid conviction, possibly conviction and jail. Better to call law enforcement and avoid it all.

The police, a prosecutor and a jury of your peers may disagree. Will I shed a tear for a downed scumbag? No, I will not. But I will also NOT shoot someone if my life, my families life is not in danger. This individual will likely go to jail for this.

Every dollar that some entity (private or government) steals from me (and yes, a significant portion of gov taxes is theft), whether it is in the form of money or property, is one less dollar I can use to survive and support my family. This isn't about someone stealing a TV or "luxury" item. It is about taking food, fuel, transport, etc. - things I need to live and help my family live.

Insured? Yes, some of it is, but we all know that insurance orgs rarely give you full replacement value on insured property, so there is a loss, and again, that impacts my ability to survive and support my family. I am retired and now it is 3-4X harder (at least) for me to makeup losses due to theft or other events. There is also time and stress, and regardless of your health/age, such events do impact quality and length of life in a negative way.

So such theft isn't just about "material things" and no, I can't "afford it"; I don't have unlimited reserves of money, time or health.

Theft not only takes $ from me and my family, it shortens our life, impacts our health, and lessens our quality of life.

Every dollar that some entity (private or government) steals from me (and yes, a significant portion of gov taxes is theft), whether it is in the form of money or property, is one less dollar I can use to survive and support my family. This isn't about someone stealing a TV or "luxury" item. It is about taking food, fuel, transport, etc. - things I need to live and help my family live.

Insured? Yes, some of it is, but we all know that insurance orgs rarely give you full replacement value on insured property, so there is a loss, and again, that impacts my ability to survive and support my family. I am retired and now it is 3-4X harder (at least) for me to makeup losses due to theft or other events. There is also time and stress, and regardless of your health/age, such events do impact quality and length of life in a negative way.

So such theft isn't just about "material things" and no, I can't "afford it"; I don't have unlimited reserves of money, time or health.

Theft not only takes $ from me and my family, it shortens our life, impacts our health, and lessens our quality of life.
I keep hearing about "placing a higher value on your stuff over human life", but the reality is would-be perpetrators value someone else's stuff over their own lives.

Free life advice- a major technique to avoid getting shot is to keep your phuggin' hands off stuff that doesn't belong to you.

The root of the issue is so many folks are scared to defend themselves, their homes and their property. They are more worried about the potential legal fallout and local prosecutor's reactions than the criminals are. That is how we got to where we are now. bubbleguming criminals have more rights and expected "chances" to fix their bullbubblegum life than citizens simply protecting what they have worked their asses off for.

The root of the issue is so many folks are scared to defend themselves, their homes and their property. They are more worried about the potential legal fallout and local prosecutor's reactions than the criminals are. That is how we got to where we are now. bubbleguming criminals have more rights and expected "chances" to fix their bullbubblegum life than citizens simply protecting what they have worked their asses off for.
There's too many variables. That said, I'm not judge, jury and executioner.

This isnt what the law states. People arent "scared to defend themselves", they just know to follow the law unless they want a life changing felony.

Personally, im not interested in catching a felony to stop someone else's misdemeanor. Then again, i dont even believe in private property so ive got a much different stance from the getgo. Zips up flame suit…

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top