JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'll be shooting at Bowling Pins with my .22 rifle at 50 yards. I hope to be able to knock a few off of the table with my $200.00 Savage topped with a $200.00 Bushnell scope .

Just finished cleaning up my .577 Snider Short rifle, originally from the Quebec Garrison Artillery Battery located in the Citadel, Quebec. It was a birthday present a few years back form a good friend and fellow shooter who decamped to France after getting the bum's rush from his parent company, Audi VAG [UK].

I got a new 430gr semi-conical bullet mould/mold from fellow Snider and Martini-Herny shooter, Martyn Robinson, based in Spokane WA. Cast up a hundred or so last Thursday and made around thirty up to shoot yesterday afternoon - 62.5gr of Swiss 1.5 Fg, a card wad, some corn meal filler and then the bullet, just pushed in to the case and held there with the gloop lubricant. Groups were all in my imagination - about 4" for twenty shots at 50m, so there is obviously room for improvement.

1659882179802.png

Rifle is described as a five-groove, two-band, Short Rifle, Snider, and uses the breech-loading conversion invented by the American, Jacob Snider. His conversion was adopted over the French Tabatiére, which was much the same but more expensive.....

Snider's conversion cost 3 pennies less than Tabatiere's...

This gives you some idea what we are talking about, ammunition-wise - here are the four calibres once in use by the British military, and for a short time, somewhere, all four were in use on the same day somewhere in the Empire.

1659882496605.png

Left to right - .577 Henry-Boxer Snider - actually .600".

Original coiled brass foil .577-450 Martini-Henry - as used at Isandhwlana and Rorke's drift.

Improved drawn-brass version of .577-450 M-H.

Later version of .303 British with spitzer point.

I'll beshooting the ol' 1911 at the range in Florence,might try bad guy silhouette target at 30 yds...the max length I can go to the berm.
..btw open invite to come shoot atthe range when u r in town,30-300 yd ranges

I'll beshooting the ol' 1911 at the range in Florence,might try bad guy silhouette target at 30 yds...the max length I can go to the berm.
..btw open invite to come shoot atthe range when u r in town,30-300 yd ranges
I'll take you up on that. In a few weeks. ;)

I went to the local indoor range this morning and shot the ruger sr-22 and Smith sd-40. had the place to myself until right before I left.

I did had to re-zero after changing out some scopes and boy it was a successful day ! I had a Tikka 338 WM would group minute of elk removed the Zeiss that was on it and put on a Vortex and now we are lights out . I learned you don't need a 1k scope when a $200 scope will do the job lol !

Yeah this WAS nothing.. I've worked through a lot worse. Doing asphalt is fun.. And asphalt was nothing compared to other jobs I've had.

Rehabbing thinly insulated and janky working A/C'd mobile homes in AZ is fun too!

Oh and the tarmac of Everett flight line baking away inside airplane fuselages..

There's reasons why I hate the heat and generally like the northwest weather.

But then there's always lemonade.. 😭

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top