JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'll be shooting at Bowling Pins with my .22 rifle at 50 yards. I hope to be able to knock a few off of the table with my $200.00 Savage topped with a $200.00 Bushnell scope .

Just finished cleaning up my .577 Snider Short rifle, originally from the Quebec Garrison Artillery Battery located in the Citadel, Quebec. It was a birthday present a few years back form a good friend and fellow shooter who decamped to France after getting the bum's rush from his parent company, Audi VAG [UK].

I got a new 430gr semi-conical bullet mould/mold from fellow Snider and Martini-Herny shooter, Martyn Robinson, based in Spokane WA. Cast up a hundred or so last Thursday and made around thirty up to shoot yesterday afternoon - 62.5gr of Swiss 1.5 Fg, a card wad, some corn meal filler and then the bullet, just pushed in to the case and held there with the gloop lubricant. Groups were all in my imagination - about 4" for twenty shots at 50m, so there is obviously room for improvement.

1659882179802.png

Rifle is described as a five-groove, two-band, Short Rifle, Snider, and uses the breech-loading conversion invented by the American, Jacob Snider. His conversion was adopted over the French Tabatiére, which was much the same but more expensive.....

Snider's conversion cost 3 pennies less than Tabatiere's...

This gives you some idea what we are talking about, ammunition-wise - here are the four calibres once in use by the British military, and for a short time, somewhere, all four were in use on the same day somewhere in the Empire.

1659882496605.png

Left to right - .577 Henry-Boxer Snider - actually .600".

Original coiled brass foil .577-450 Martini-Henry - as used at Isandhwlana and Rorke's drift.

Improved drawn-brass version of .577-450 M-H.

Later version of .303 British with spitzer point.

I'll beshooting the ol' 1911 at the range in Florence,might try bad guy silhouette target at 30 yds...the max length I can go to the berm.
..btw open invite to come shoot atthe range when u r in town,30-300 yd ranges

I'll beshooting the ol' 1911 at the range in Florence,might try bad guy silhouette target at 30 yds...the max length I can go to the berm.
..btw open invite to come shoot atthe range when u r in town,30-300 yd ranges
I'll take you up on that. In a few weeks. ;)

I went to the local indoor range this morning and shot the ruger sr-22 and Smith sd-40. had the place to myself until right before I left.

I did had to re-zero after changing out some scopes and boy it was a successful day ! I had a Tikka 338 WM would group minute of elk removed the Zeiss that was on it and put on a Vortex and now we are lights out . I learned you don't need a 1k scope when a $200 scope will do the job lol !

Yeah this WAS nothing.. I've worked through a lot worse. Doing asphalt is fun.. And asphalt was nothing compared to other jobs I've had.

Rehabbing thinly insulated and janky working A/C'd mobile homes in AZ is fun too!

Oh and the tarmac of Everett flight line baking away inside airplane fuselages..

There's reasons why I hate the heat and generally like the northwest weather.

But then there's always lemonade.. 😭

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews