JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I sanded out some imperfections and then bead blasted my new Colt Detective Special SF-VI tonight. Then I stripped it down to clean. Hopefully I will be able to get it all back together tomorrow and get it polished up. Every time I disassemble a revolver like this I get a little nervous. Whoever said revolvers are simple should be beaten. :)

Disassembled.jpg

Very courageous of you. :s0155:

I get the same nerve issues with my SP101 - I've only taken it all the way down once, and felt like an accomplished swiss watch craftsman after I got it all back together. Simple my rear end - on the other hand, it is one of those things that makes wheel guns so satisfying. Craftsmanship.

Good looking snubbie.

They are simpler to use, load, and shoot.
No body said they are simpler to take apart, and polish.

Good job, and good luck, with your project. Try a little dab of molygraph grease on the engagement surfaces.

Did that gun come DAO? Or are you doing that as a conversion?

Just who would do the "beating" of the person that said revolvers are simpler?

Looks like a fine mess you have there. Good luck in getting it all back together. :)

Yep too bad there is so much "home gunsmithing" done on good firearms. I never buy a gun that has been messed with.

jj
If a person has even half a clue what they are doing you would never know they ever did anything.
By the time I finish with this gun it will have a near mirror finish and look cleaner than it did when it was new.
Even all the burrs will be gone.

If a person has even half a clue what they are doing you would never know they ever did anything.
By the time I finish with this gun it will have a near mirror finish and look cleaner than it did when it was new.
Even all the burrs will be gone.

An honest seller would tell the buyer that home gunsmithing had taken place then let the buyer be the judge. I have seen way too many screw ups in 40 years of buying guns to buy something from a home gunsmith. With todays MIM parts it is even more dangerous to trust a gun that has been tampered with.

jj

99% of the time you can tell that a sideplate has been removed, plus look at the screw heads. The sideplate gets a small raised edge near the top where it is improperly removed! Prying it off like it's an access cover is a bad thing...

99% of the time you can tell that a sideplate has been removed, plus look at the screw heads. The sideplate gets a small raised edge near the top where it is improperly removed! Prying it off like it's an access cover is a bad thing...

Alot of low lifes won't think twice about screwing you by selling you a gun they have worked on.

jj

I got it all back together...and surprisingly it still works like a dream.

I also sanded down the bead blast and polished it up a bit (left the trigger and hammer bead blast finished). It is now scratch and ding free. I am going to take off a few more sharp edges ( i have had to smooth so many sharp edges on this thing) and polish it up a bit more and then it should be done. Now I just have to wait for the wood grips I ordered to arrive.

polishedColt.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads